(Archived) Add another user

walmartman

I love that EN added the ability to add multiple users. I manage the accounting for several of my clients and we've always used EN to scan and save reciepts. They send everything to me, I enter into their accounting system, and scan and save their reciepts in their evernote notebooks. I thought the new EN feature would be great, however after I close EN it only remembers the account that I was logged into when I closed EN the last time.

Is this a bug? Is there a way to keep all my accounts signed in so I can just switch between them?

thanks.

• 9 months later...

I have the same problem - Evernote (v 4.6.7.8904 (268917) Public, on Windows 7 Pro, 64bit) does not remember users.

There is no "Remember Me" button when I sign in to the second account.  This is very frustrating.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a premium account.  Run Win 7

I've been contemplating adding users to manage content for clients.  However, wondering?

1)  Does the added user have their own username or still under the one original Evernote account username?

2)  Does adding a user give that user a separate login Evernote view such that they cannot view the content of the originating account?

3)  And backwards, can the originating account view uploaded content of the sub user?

4)  Does uploaded content of the added user feed off the originating users account upload limits.

@walmartman - is your issue fixed yet?

@JimE - Have you found the "Remember Me" button yet?

Thanks!

@Onyx - seems to be.  Since a couple updates ago, I haven't had any problem with it not remembering the other users I use.  Whenever I go onto Evernote on any of my machines, it's as the list of users in the File menu.

As to your other questions:

1. No. you use the same username, it's an exact copy of any online notebooks they have in their account, no options.

2. No. It's an exact copy

3. Yes. It's an exact copy :)

4. not valid as there are not multiple accounts.

If you have users sharing their account with you and they do not want you to see other stuff (or the other way around) the only option (that I know of) would be to make an offline notebook.

You may want to check into Evernote Business if you need all those features. I just use the standard version

@walmartman - Thanks!  

So, now I'm trying to understand the benefits of adding a separate/second user if that user has no separate login and can't have a separate space that isn't visible by other user accounts I create, what's the purpose?

@Onyx - seems to be.  Since a couple updates ago, I haven't had any problem with it not remembering the other users I use.  Whenever I go onto Evernote on any of my machines, it's as the list of users in the File menu.

As to your other questions:

1. No. you use the same username, it's an exact copy of any online notebooks they have in their account, no options.

2. No. It's an exact copy

3. Yes. It's an exact copy :)

4. not valid as there are not multiple accounts.

If you have users sharing their account with you and they do not want you to see other stuff (or the other way around) the only option (that I know of) would be to make an offline notebook.

You may want to check into Evernote Business if you need all those features. I just use the standard version

Walmartman's reply is wrong.

I've been contemplating adding users to manage content for clients.  However, wondering?

1)  Does the added user have their own username or still under the one original Evernote account username?

2)  Does adding a user give that user a separate login Evernote view such that they cannot view the content of the originating account?

3)  And backwards, can the originating account view uploaded content of the sub user?

4)  Does uploaded content of the added user feed off the originating users account upload limits.

Thanks!

Regarding all four questions - the accounts are entirely different.  The EN Windows client can only be logged into one account at a time.  All you're doing is switching the account you're logged into on the WIndows client.  It simply saves you from having to officially log out of one account on the Windows client & log back in with the other account.

"Add Another User" translates to "Add A Completely different Evernote Accout so I can access both accounts from this machine" .  It's not adding multiple users to one big evernote account.

For me, I have clients who I do bookkeeping for.  They give me access to their Evernote notebook.  I then go to Evernote and "Add Another User' using their account information.  At this point I have complete access to their notebook.  I then upload their scanned receipts and other stuff to their EN account.  

does that make sense?

"Add Another User" translates to "Add A Completely different Evernote Accout so I can access both accounts from this machine" .  It's not adding multiple users to one big evernote account.

For me, I have clients who I do bookkeeping for.  They give me access to their Evernote notebook.  I then go to Evernote and "Add Another User' using their account information.  At this point I have complete access to their notebook.  I then upload their scanned receipts and other stuff to their EN account.  

does that make sense?

Yes, this is exactly what "add another user" does, which is completely different from what you posted in post #9, which is totally wrong. The fact that you are duplicating someone else's account has nothing to do with the "add another user" feature, except that it simplifies switching between the accounts.  Without the "add another user" feature, you could still do what you're doing.  You'd just have to use the log out command (from one account) & then log back into the other account.

does that make sense?

Yes, this is exactly what "add another user" does, which is completely different from what you posted in post #9. The fact that you are duplicating someone else's account has nothing to do with the "add another user" feature.

yeah. I was assuming he understood the translation of "Add Another User", it wasn't till his response that I realized we were on different tracks though. The point I was saying was that it copies over the entire database (except ofline notebooks) of the user onto the computer you are 'adding the user' to and that there's no real connection between user accounts.

Regarding all four questions - the accounts are entirely different.  The EN Windows client can only be logged into one account at a time.  All you're doing is switching the account you're logged into on the WIndows client.  It simply saves you from having to officially log out of one account on the Windows client & log back in with the other account.

@BurgersNFries - Thanks!  So when I add a user account does that mean I am "creating" an additional user account or I'm "adding" an account that has already been created?  

@BurgersNFries - Thanks!  So when I add a user account does that mean I am "creating" an additional user account or I'm "adding" an account that has already been created?

You're welcome. The account must already be set up. You cannot set it up through the "add a user" feature.

• 1 month later...

Thanks!

Hi Onyx

Nope - did not find a "remember me" button yet.  Today I installed Evenote 5 and its the same issue - when I "add another user" it, at no point, asks me to "remember me".

Is there something I can do in the registry to fix this? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There!

I have a EN premium account. I want to add myself as another user instead of making another notebook. So separate entity. However, when I go to either the "Premium" in the bar to the right OR go "File" and click "add another user", it comes up with this: USER NAME DOES NOT EXIST.

So I signed out of my premium account and created a new account (added as a free account). I tried to add this to my premium account by using the "add another user" from the drop down menus and it won't do it. It remains a FREE account. I want to sync this to my mobile phone and eventually iPad or Galaxy Tab when I get one.

So, I am wondering what the use is in a premium account (not business) to have "add another user" if it won't allow you to whist retaining the premium account status? I have wasted so much time trying to figure this out ... hope you can help!

It would be GREAT if Evernote did a video instruction on how to achieve this, otherwise it is useless having this function in Evernote premium if it can't be used!

Hi There!

I have a EN premium account. I want to add myself as another user instead of making another notebook. So separate entity. However, when I go to either the "Premium" in the bar to the right OR go "File" and click "add another user", it comes up with this: USER NAME DOES NOT EXIST.

So I signed out of my premium account and created a new account (added as a free account). I tried to add this to my premium account by using the "add another user" from the drop down menus and it won't do it. It remains a FREE account. I want to sync this to my mobile phone and eventually iPad or Galaxy Tab when I get one.

So, I am wondering what the use is in a premium account (not business) to have "add another user" if it won't allow you to whist retaining the premium account status? I have wasted so much time trying to figure this out ... hope you can help!

It would be GREAT if Evernote did a video instruction on how to achieve this, otherwise it is useless having this function in Evernote premium if it can't be used!

The benefit of adding another user is allowing easy switching between accounts. IE some people have one account for work & one for personal. It does not mean a free account can be added to a Premium account & get the benefits of a premium account without paying for it.

Archived