Assign tags name composite - problem AutoComplete

Vale79

Hello Guys,

I apologize for my English but I use google translator.

I created a tag composed of two words such as "Rating Sales."

When I want to assign this tag to a note, if I enter the word "Sales", the autocomplete does not enter in the list of tags "Rating Sales", but only those that start with the word "Sales".

I wanted to know if it is a bug, and how you can solve.

thank you very much

Valentina

• Level 5

That is not a bug, it is how the autocomplete works.

It looks for a match with the first letters in a tag, not in the middle.

Solution?

Rename the tags so Sales is first.

Sales-best

Sales-quota

Sales-rating

Sales-worst

I prefer to insert a hyphen between the words. This avoids the need for quotation marks in a search.

tag:Sales-rating is easier to type than tag:"Sales rating"

Thanks for the tip!

I noticed that in the search bar of Tags, you can search in the middle of the tag name with a compound name, so I wonder why you can not search in the middle of the name during the assignment.

See you soon

Valentina

• Level 5*
I noticed that in the search bar of Tags, you can search in the middle of the tag name with a compound name

Really? How does that work? I've not seen any context where you can search based on anything but the start of a tag name.

I noticed that in the search bar of Tags, you can search in the middle of the tag name with a compound name

Really? How does that work? I've not seen any context where you can search based on anything but the start of a tag name.

Probably the favorites bar tags menu:

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s26/sh/6fec01ed-7f88-49c2-a43e-e2042949395e/4c6200ac36279f26c4a9a4c9b0b922bf

Though I guess this uses a different mechanism than the normal EN search.

• 3 months later...

That is not a bug, it is how the autocomplete works.

It looks for a match with the first letters in a tag, not in the middle.

True this is not a bug, but surely it is a shortcoming of Evernote's search?

I have just started using Evernote as my task manager instead of Omnifocus - so I am going to soon end up with over 100 tags. There's no way I will remember how all of them start. With Omnifocus I could just start typing any word and it would autocomplete. For tags I used a lot I would type the first letter of each word (eg "RS" for Rating Sales) and it would come up.

Evernote is better in many ways than Omnifocus, but this autocomplete shortcoming of Evernote could mean that I ditch it in the end.

@Omnifocus team: any chance of updating the autocomplete feature in the next update?

• Level 5

I have just started using Evernote as my task manager instead of Omnifocus - so I am going to soon end up with over 100 tags. There's no way I will remember how all of them start. With Omnifocus I could just start typing any word and it would autocomplete. For tags I used a lot I would type the first letter of each word (eg "RS" for Rating Sales) and it would come up.

Evernote is better in many ways than Omnifocus, but this autocomplete shortcoming of Evernote could mean that I ditch it in the end.

@Omnifocus team: any chance of updating the autocomplete feature in the next update?

Evernote tags do have autocomplete.

In Windows, hit F3 and type first few letters

Ctrl + Alt + T also autocompletes

• 1 year later...

Autocomplete works perfectly in Evernote Web Clipper while assigning tags. You can start with any (space delimited) word of tag name in order to be displayed. This helps user to assign tag as quick as possible with no need to remember first x letters of the tag name.

In Windows Evernote app autocomplete is dependent on properly typed first letters of tag name. If someone uses more structured tag names, this is absolutelly not effective assigning.

• 3 weeks later...

I have recently noticed that I am able to enter any characters that are contained within a tag, whether at the start of a word of not (slightly different to RastyG's first sentence).  However it will not autocomplete on anything, even if what I am typing is also the start of another tag.

For example, I have a list of tags similar to what jbenson2 suggested:

Sales-best
Sales-quota
Sales-rating
Sales-worst

If I type anything that also has something from those tags (e.g. "les") then all of the above tags appear.  I am unable to manually select using the up and down arrows, nor the mouse by clicking the one I want.  All I get is a new tag with the partial term I typed ("les" in this case).

In short, the autocomplete behaviour is almost the same as before, but now, if the start of a tag is also somewhere in another tag, autocomplete falls over.

I think this is a bug, not a major one, but certainly a usability bug.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Archived