Insert Date Formats: Please add ISO-8601

I was pleased to discover the "insert date" hotkey (shift command D).

But then less pleased to see that it did not include ISO-8601.

Please include the ISO-8601 date format in the list of options.

e.g. 2012-09-23

One world.

One date format.

"The purpose of this standard is to provide an unambiguous and well-defined method of representing dates and times, so as to avoid misinterpretation of numeric representations of dates and times, particularly when data is transferred between countries with different conventions for writing numeric dates and times."

-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601

• Level 5*

In the Windows client, Evernote appears to use the Control Panel's Date and Time format settings (short versions of each) to format the generated date/time string. And you can choose the yyyy-mm-dd format there. I did test this out, and it works. Don't know how this works on the Mac, but maybe an enterprising Mac user can enlighten us.

• Level 5*

As I recall, the date settings are on the Preferences for the app on the Mac. There is no way to get this date format at this time. I use yymmdd myself, so the hotkey does me no good at the moment, but I could live with yyy-mm-dd. As always, I would prefer more options.

• Level 5*

I'd use yyyy-mm-dd if I were you -- you're gonna be in big trouble come the year 3000. :)

I've considered that, but I have come to the sad conclusion that technology hasn't advanced enough to keep me alive past 100 or so. Too bad. If it does, I'll bit the bullet and pay my flunkies, or maybe my droid servants, to go through and rename all of my files :)

Thanks to everyone for your input.

It looks like solution is that Evernote's date format options are based on the user's settings for date formats.

To set up a Mac to use ISO-8601 go into:

Settings -> Language & Text -> Formats -> Customize

and fiddle with the interface to drag and drop year, month, day-of-month

and add the hypens

and pull down to get the leading-zero versions of month and day-of-month.

It should look like this.

post-105337-0-13216400-1348587718_thumb.

(wow thats little)

3. Then go into Evernote, Preferences -> Formatting and the pulldown for "Format for Insert Date" should now have the ISO-8601 option

There, I fixed it.

Martin

• Level 5*

Thanks to everyone for your input.

It looks like solution is that Evernote's date format options are based on the user's settings for date formats.

To set up a Mac to use ISO-8601 go into:

Settings -> Language & Text -> Formats -> Customize

and fiddle with the interface to drag and drop year, month, day-of-month

and add the hypens

and pull down to get the leading-zero versions of month and day-of-month.

It should look like this.

post-105337-0-13216400-1348587718_thumb.

(wow thats little)

3. Then go into Evernote, Preferences -> Formatting and the pulldown for "Format for Insert Date" should now have the ISO-8601 option

There, I fixed it.

Martin

That did it. Thanks!

Now I am wondering if Evernote staff have been properly reading and digesting my posts, because I have complained about this several times in the past, and they should have properly schooled me, saying: "Learn how to use your Mac and stop whining!"

Perhaps a different font and text size would help.

I'd use yyyy-mm-dd if I were you -- you're gonna be in big trouble come the year 3000. :)

And that's exactly why I use YYYYMMDD format. :lol:

(The reality is that it's just become habit b/c of changing all that code in 1998 & 1999 and b/c I do have some notes I've retroactively added from previous journals/note taking apps that predate 1/1/2000.)

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
For Linux users running EverNote via wine, here's how to change the Insert Date time format to 'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MM'

I'm using Kubuntu 13.04 so your commands may vary but this should get you nudged in the right direction.

/usr/bin/regedit (or K -> search, then type in 'regedit')

Locate the hive HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International

- to change the date to YYYY-MM-DD format 

change the key sShortDate to the value 'yyyy-MM-dd' (from the original value [for me] of 'M/d/yyyy')

- to change the time to 24 hour format (HH24:MM) 

change the key sTimeFormat to 'H:mm:ss' (from the orginal value [for me] of 'hh:mm:ss tt')

Exit regedit

Restart EverNote

• 2 months later...

I would like the option to insert only the Date  and not always drag the time into the post.   Any ideas?

Not sure what you mean - there are two different commands: Insert Date and Insert Time (at least on Evernote for Mac which is what I use).

• 8 months later...
  • Level 5

Could TextExpander be a work around for this on Mac and iOS devices? I'm looking at getting it but it's pretty expensive.

Work around what? As was pointed out above, Evernote's date format options are based on the user's settings for date formats.

• 2 weeks later...

Could TextExpander be a work around for this on Mac and iOS devices? I'm looking at getting it but it's pretty expensive.

Work around what? As was pointed out above, Evernote's date format options are based on the user's settings for date formats.

Weird, it worked for me in a few locations, but not everyone in my system. I bit the bullet and purchased Textexpander. It gets the job done everywhere I need it so I'm set.

Archived