Open a notebook in a new window

brentpeters

• Level 5*

Interesting. I'd say that you don't really "open" a notebook, but when you click on a notebook in the notebooks list, you do see only notes from that notebook, and I can see that it could be useful to lok at the contents of two notebooks separately at the same time (you can always look at the contents of two notebooks intermingled by putting them into a stack together). Not sure how that would work, maybe just open up a separate instance of the main window, with all of the panels, tabs, menus and tools as the original one?

Thanks for posting, I'll keep an eye on this thread. Just to be clear, are you looking for what jefito described above?

Yes, a second instance of the main evernote window would do the trick. But perhaps most logically, the new window would only contain the list of notes from the notebook you opened, and their contents (i.e. the main notebook list is hidden).

Thanks for the reply.

• 7 months later...

Bump!

I second the request for such a feature. The reason I found this thread actually is because I was performing a Google search for a solution to this very issue.

Right now I have one, shared notebook with a list of projects in and I need to display the details of those on one half of my screen and I have another notebook shared with different people (with different tags) which contains information I need to process the stuff in the first notebook.

Whilst I can (and by the looks of things, will have to) process this all by clicking back and forth hundreds of times between the two notebooks (one of which I need in snippet view and one of which I need in Thumbnail view) obviously this is not ideal and will prove extremely tedious.

It seems like allowing the user to toggle multiwindow functionality would be useful to people in certain situations and a simple right-click context menu option with "open in new window/tab") would be ideal for me personally.

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking for the same thing.  Here is a use case:

I have a GTD notebook stack with folders like Inbox, Pending, Complete.  I would like to use them to manage todo items and lists. In this case notebooks are lists and notes are todos.  Therefore, it would be really nice and efficient to be able to quickly drag and drop todos from the Inbox list to the Complete list, for example.  Even better if there were a way to look at up to 4 "lists" (ie, notebooks) at a time.

Currently I can open the Inbox notebook and right-click a note to get the "Move to Notebook" option which lists all my notebooks.

• 6 months later...

I have a GTD notebook stack with folders like Inbox, Pending, Complete.  I would like to use them to manage todo items and lists. In this case notebooks are lists and notes are todos.  Therefore, it would be really nice and efficient to be able to quickly drag and drop todos from the Inbox list to the Complete list, for example.  Even better if there were a way to look at up to 4 "lists" (ie, notebooks) at a time.

Currently I can open the Inbox notebook and right-click a note to get the "Move to Notebook" option which lists all my notebooks.

Please Please Please implement this.  I have a similar use case.  I have an "inbox" notebook that i'd like open on one screen, and I need to open multiple other notebooks on another screen.  This allows me to easily copy and paste things from one notebook to another without constantly needing to switch back and forth.  One Note allows you to do this, as does almost every other program in Windows.  I can't tell you how useful this would be for me and multiple other GTD'ers, or just other people who hate working within a single window!

• Level 5*

There is a fairly easy workaround for this: just filter on the notebook you want to move notes from, and then use multi-select to pick notes that are to go into some different notebook. Then pick the destination notebook from the multi-select panel.

There is a fairly easy workaround for this: just filter on the notebook you want to move notes from, and then use multi-select to pick notes that are to go into some different notebook. Then pick the destination notebook from the multi-select panel.

I don't think the problem is being completely understood.  I need to have both notebooks open on their own screen. I need to keep my main screen view unmodified on one notebook, while moving around , opening and closing notes, etc in the other notebook. I don't just need to copy and paste notes.  I need to copy and paste content from notes in one notebook to notes in another notebook, without exiting my original notebook in any way.  

For example, if I want to copy a line of text from "notebook 1/note 1" to "notebook 2, note 1", Currently I have to open "notebook 1, note 1", copy the text, then switch to "notebook 2, note 2" paste the text.  I will then want to return back to Notebook 1.  This is very inefficient.  Instead, I'd like to have "notebook 1" open on my main screen, and "notebook 2" open on my second screen.  I can then copy the line of text from "notebook 1, note 1" and paste directly into "notebook 2, note 2" without having to exit notebook 1 at all.  This is great, because then I can easily copy a separate line of text from "notebook 1, note 1" to a separate note in "notebook 2."  This may not seem like a big deal, but when you're copying multiple lines of text back and forth from notes in different notebooks it become extremely inefficient to do all in a single window.

I hope I am making sense here.

• Level 5*

I hope I am making sense here.

Sure, makes sense. A little different than what I thought your scenario was before. Not sure of any workarounds for this on that are at all convenient, aside from temporarily putting both notebooks into a stack so that you can see the notebooks together.
  • 1 month later...

This would be extremely useful. I have a notebook for each class I teach. Each note contains lecture notes for each class session. Opening a notebook for a previous semesters' class would help tremendously to plan the current one as it would allow cut and paste operations as well as reminders of what I did last time. It's a bit cumbersome to have to click back and forth between notes, especially when combining several previous notes into one new one.

This would be extremely useful. I have a notebook for each class I teach. Each note contains lecture notes for each class session. Opening a notebook for a previous semesters' class would help tremendously to plan the current one as it would allow cut and paste operations as well as reminders of what I did last time. It's a bit cumbersome to have to click back and forth between notes, especially when combining several previous notes into one new one.

Why don't you just select all the notes from the first notebook, right click/copy notes/ & send them to the new (target) notebook.  Takes a few seconds to do.  Then you can modify them as much as you want in the target/new notebook.

Why don't you just select all the notes from the first notebook, right click/copy notes/ & send them to the new (target) notebook.  Takes a few seconds to do.  Then you can modify them as much as you want in the target/new notebook.

I would rather jump around from different notes in each notebook so I can see them side by side for comparing. This is what I would do with actual notebooks - have them both open on a table. :)

I would rather jump around from different notes in each notebook so I can see them side by side for comparing. This is what I would do with actual notebooks - have them both open on a table. :)

So...then after copying the notes to the new notebook, when working on a particular note, open both the old note (in the old notebook) and the new note (in the new notebook) in separate windows & have them side by side.

And you can always use the web client as a sort of "second invocation" of Evernote, too.

So...then after copying the notes to the new notebook, when working on a particular note, open both the old note (in the old notebook) and the new note (in the new notebook) in separate windows & have them side by side.

And you can always use the web client as a sort of "second invocation" of Evernote, too.

Short of being able to open a notebook in a separate window, that's the best idea! Should have thought of it. 

Have you tried creating a new instance of Evernote by right-clicking the shortcut and using RunAs, a a different user on your pc, after having already launched Evernote normally? A prerequisite: first launching Evernote in the other user's profile and creating a local username.exb file. Haven't tried this yet, but logically thinking, it probably should work.

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5*

Anything new on this idea? If this could be passed along to the devs, I would really appreciate it. Could be useful!

dlu is a PM, I believe, so Evernote are already aware of the request.

The older I get, the younger PMs look.  :D

I've got plenty of grey hairs now, don't you worry.

• Level 5*

You photo-shopping your pic? :)

You photo-shopping your pic? :)

He's still (a lot) younger than most of us Windows devs!

I'd also love to have this. The ability to open as many main evernote windows as needed. When using Dexpot in Windows I might have 4 or 5 spaces i'm working in, each with a different project which requires the viewing of a different notebook/stack. Constantly switching from notebook to notebook can be somewhat of a pain, although it still works. But multiple instances of the main window would speed up workflow.

• 4 weeks later...

+1.  I miss this feature on a daily basis.  I use it in other programs such as Outlook constantly.  I often need to have (2) different notebooks open at the same time.

• 4 months later...

Being able to double click on a notebook to open it up in a new windows (the same way double clicking a note works)  is something that would make my life much much easier.  I have looked at so many work around and none of them are efficient or elegant.  This and allowing notes to be used as tags would make evernote perfect in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! Like many of you, I got here Googling for a solution to my want-to-see-multiple-windows-at-once problem. And, for me, I think I (sorta) found it.

In the File menu, there's a "New Evernote Window" option — and it even has a keyboard shortcut: ⌥⌘M! It's not as elegant as a right-click (and it may be a more detailed explanation of what jefito described), but it still works for me.

BVpD7GM.png

Now, if I could reduce the width of each window to less than 3/5 of my screen so I could view lists side-by-side, I'd really be happy. :D

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Just putting a plug in for the ability to have multiple Evernote application windows open. For the way I work it would be nice to have a window open with all notes and another window with my filtered notes. I use multiple windows in many applications for a variety of reasons. I agree this is a good idea.

Dare I mention that Microsoft OneNote has the ability to open multiple OneNote full applications...and I LOVE IT. In fact...I've been using OneNote A LOT lately and it is very very strong when used in conjunction with SharePoint or OneDrive. That being said, Evernote, for the time being, is still my primary go to.

• 1 month later...

Bumb. Need this right now. I am trying to migrate selected exerpts of search results across multiple notes into a more appropriate notebook. I need to be able to create and edit notes in one notebook while retrieving information from search results in another/others. Two instances of the main window would be super helpful right now. 

• Level 5*

Bumb. Need this right now. I am trying to migrate selected exerpts of search results across multiple notes into a more appropriate notebook. I need to be able to create and edit notes in one notebook while retrieving information from search results in another/others. Two instances of the main window would be super helpful right now. 

Workaround of sorts is to have an EN web session open in addition to your desktop version.  Doesn't do much for local notebooks though.

Archived