(Archived) Now that Skitch sucks, what is the proper way to clip webpages?

benguild

Idea

OK, so Skitch was the one tool I had to "snap Safari" and get an exact view of a webpage. Now that I've installed this "upgrade" to 2.0, I have no way of doing this for an entire webpage.

The old Evernote clipper for Safari did it perfectly as a PDF.

WHAT is the proper way to do this now? The Evernote Web Clipper *almost* gets it right, but is missing some CSS and stuff.

9 replies to this idea

For me the answer was using Chrome. Google provides an extension called 'Screen Capture'. It takes 2 mouse clicks or 1 key combo to capture an area on the page, visible portion of the page or whole page. It saves the file in the location you specified using the title of the page as filename.

You also have an option to add extra steps to the process to allow you some basic annotations and picking the location for each file you save but I personally skip those, so for me whole process is:

Shortcut -> Drag the image from Desktop to Evernote. Done.

You can probably make it even faster by using some AppleScript. You could pick a folder as your default saving location and then enable it to automatically import files to Evernote and then delete them. I didn't go this route only because I need to run a resizing action on some of the images before importing.

20120921-x7u83ctat4keegi5wu5g85tfpi.png

I've been using Skitch since it the first releases but in the new version you removed/changed EVERYTHING that made Skitch the best capture software

1. Fast capturing, why need to confirm the size of before the capture, who cares if you need to grab screen fasts, if i need perfectly sized screenshots i use other software

2. fast scaling and cropping, this was such a nicely executed feature, gone

3. fast sizing of brushes, now its hidden in the toolbar along with color

4. Arrow tool, although you can realise that you can move things around, why remove it from the toolbar

I can go on but needless to say i already installed the old version so i can't remember how much more it sucks

hope you can get skitch back on track

Hate to jump on the bandwagon, but agree with pako80. You delivered us a whole other app, that looses everything that made skitch great.

To add to the list above:

5. No more countdown snapshot.

6. Drag & drop behavior totally changed.

You really need to carefully consider what you do with a product that had a great following, and led you to a company that was worth acquiring..

I'm a big evernote user, but you went from awesome to looking for an alternative tool in no time (thank goodness you posted the old version)..

Please take a closer look at your winning product strategy.. don't you realize this is an user acquisition vehicle into evernote as well ?

I must pile on as well.

Skitch used to be my go-to app for quickly grabbing some screen image and then annotating it.

The new changes render my workflow pessimal.

Examples,

Cannot change direction of arrows by tapping option while drawing the arrow

Pretty much ALL functionality about changing fonts and colors is gone.

I cannot select and move elements anymore (or I cant figure out how to do that)

the size tool is hidden under the swatches, and only appears to have 3 settings.

Please, where can I find the last release of Skitch prior to its acquisition and subsequent lobotomization?

• Level 5*

I must pile on as well.

Skitch used to be my go-to app for quickly grabbing some screen image and then annotating it.

The new changes render my workflow pessimal.

Examples,

Cannot change direction of arrows by tapping option while drawing the arrow

Pretty much ALL functionality about changing fonts and colors is gone.

I cannot select and move elements anymore (or I cant figure out how to do that)

the size tool is hidden under the swatches, and only appears to have 3 settings.

Please, where can I find the last release of Skitch prior to its acquisition and subsequent lobotomization?

On the Evernote website on the Skitch page.

https://evernote.com/skitch/

Archived