Trying to implement GTD w/ Evernote also Pocket Informant ?

juniorgolf18

I'm sure this has been beat to death here, I've read lots of posts on GTD here. I just now read the book after attempting to implement on my own. Now I'm sold and working to gain some control.

I currently use the heck out of Evernote clipping and storing stuff, but not for actions, todo's etc... I've been using Pocket Informant on my iphone and ipad and really like the calendar part, it also has a todo section that you can select GTD as the task format. It has contexts, tags, etc, etc....

I'm struggling whether to use Evernote as collection and then transfer actions to PI for reminders, etc and how that would work...

Any input would be great and appreciated...

MG

I've got a sort of GTD set up that I really like - and believe me when I say that I've tried lots of different ones! The post is here.

What I like about my method is that moving tasks from different categories - Next, Later, Completed etc - is just a matter of dragging them - no need for retagging. I only tag when I create the task and then after that I just move the task to a different notebook as needed.

By nesting task notebooks in a stack called "Tasks" they show up on my iphone really nicely.

On the phone I "sort by notebooks" - and then when I view the notebooks I see my tasks in a order of next, later waiting etc.

What my method can't do is set reminders and due dates, but I've found that any due dates I need I just put in the title of the note.

There are two apps that can create reminders - "followupthen" and a new one called www.eventnoted.com. I haven't used either.

Anyhow there are plenty of EN/GTD junkies on the forum so keep asking questions!

I've got a sort of GTD set up that I really like - and believe me when I say that I've tried lots of different ones! The post is here.

What I like about my method is that moving tasks from different categories - Next, Later, Completed etc - is just a matter of dragging them - no need for retagging. I only tag when I create the task and then after that I just move the task to a different notebook as needed.

By nesting task notebooks in a stack called "Tasks" they show up on my iphone really nicely.

On the phone I "sort by notebooks" - and then when I view the notebooks I see my tasks in a order of next, later waiting etc.

What my method can't do is set reminders and due dates, but I've found that any due dates I need I just put in the title of the note.

There are two apps that can create reminders - "followupthen" and a new one called www.eventnoted.com. I haven't used either.

Anyhow there are plenty of EN/GTD junkies on the forum so keep asking questions!

Excellent! Thanks, I'll look at how you are using it. I was concerned about iPhone and iPad usage with using tags vs notebooks.

Also - "If you ain't a Gator, you're Gator bait...." Right???

I'm a gator - UF grad! My method works great on iphone - on Ipad, it is OK - but the ipad EN app does show stacks! I am sure that they will update it sometime though. You can still use saved searches on the Ipad. The saved searches can be created in the desktop app and then will sync nicely to the ipad.

I use a combination of EN and GID Task App that is in the trunk. GID has a pretty fair integration with EN. Especially with tagging. I can email items to both, and it integrates with my google calendar.

Most of my work is "Project" based so each project has a note that gets pre-tagged based on what type of project it is and a couple of milestone/reference tags that makes it easier to find all similar projects at the same time. I remove the milestone tags when the project is complete.

The EN project holds the information and guts of what is going to happen, including excel spreadsheets, design pdfs, skitch images, etc... As new info comes in it gets merged to the exiting project note.

I use GID - to outline the task dates. For me it's more in my face "Get it Done" then a note I can minimize. i.e. Overdue stuff shows up in Red. :)

My .02 Good Luck!

I use a combination of EN and GID Task App that is in the trunk. GID has a pretty fair integration with EN. Especially with tagging. I can email items to both, and it integrates with my google calendar.

Being able to email tasks is a must have for me. I know a lot of folks like Things and Omnifocus, but Things doesn't have email tasks and Omnifocus does, but it is a 3 step process. Emailing stuff to evernote with the task notebook in the subject line is a great time saver.

• 2 weeks later...

juniorgolf18, I used to make my GTD lists in Evernote: one "next action" per note and used tags for contexts. To see a context list, I used saved searches (see Ruud Hein approach). But, in Evernote mobile (android), when offline, the search just work with simple terms.

Nowadys I use Pocket Informant for my GTD lists and they are synchronized with Toodledo.com

gatorbrit, you can email tasks to toodledo.

• 1 month later...

Hi, we are trying to find a solution for GTD in Evernote. You are all invited to www.everdo.it to share ideas and comment on our efforts. Tomorrow is the actual opening of the forum and additional info will be included (first screen shots and so on).

Would really appreciate your help and input.

Thanks,

Karol

Hi Gerscha! Thanks for the feedback. And sorry for my delayed feedback - I (we ;-) ) were working really hard on the app and stopped everything else ;-)

So, www.everdo.it will be available in December for iPad. In January 2013 we will have iPhone. About a month later - desktop & Android.

International version - of course. For the beginning only English, but next languages will be added.

Today I should have the final demo, so tomorrow you can expect new screenshots and a short description on our web site and FB.

Cheers!

Karol

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Just had a user signup for TaskClone to use Pocket Informant.  Turns out their integration with Evernote turns Evernote Reminders into calendar items but if you want todos from Evernote (represented by checkboxes) to convert to tasks in PI, TaskClone is the way to go.  You'll need PI's online feature.  See http://webis.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/145/3/30---pocket-informant-online-email-to-task and www.taskclone.com for more.

Archived