(Archived) Venting

I think Evernote has gotten too big and it's not the same grassroot company it used to be. I just contacted Support to ask how to change the payment source of one of my paid accounts from one Google Wallet to another Google Wallet. With no explanation of how to do this, or assurance that my data would be OK, I was told to cancel the account and reopen it. I did this and found that Google Wallet was no longer an obvious option - only a credit card. I provided the credit info. My account was then reopened as a premium again - and I was charged for another year even though I still have a year+ on this account. This strikes me as a predatory pricing practice - I'm charged to change the method of payment.

I wrote and mildly complained and asked if Google wallet is still available (since I have a second paid account). The only answer I got was: "We suggest that you perform the same checkout for your other account to avoid any troubles at the moment."

This is very customer unfriendly support: Minimal info, a system that automatically adds time when you change the method of payment, and a failure to answer specific question - tell him what we want him to know, not what he's asking.

None of this is a big deal, and I'm still a fan of Evernote. But this kind of service is disappointing.

• Level 5*

I think Evernote has gotten too big and it's not the same grassroot company it used to be. I just contacted Support to ask how to change the payment source of one of my paid accounts from one Google Wallet to another Google Wallet. With no explanation of how to do this, or assurance that my data would be OK, I was told to cancel the account and reopen it. I did this and found that Google Wallet was no longer an obvious option - only a credit card. I provided the credit info. My account was then reopened as a premium again - and I was charged for another year even though I still have a year+ on this account. This strikes me as a predatory pricing practice - I'm charged to change the method of payment.

I wrote and mildly complained and asked if Google wallet is still available (since I have a second paid account). The only answer I got was: "We suggest that you perform the same checkout for your other account to avoid any troubles at the moment."

This is very customer unfriendly support: Minimal info, a system that automatically adds time when you change the method of payment, and a failure to answer specific question - tell him what we want him to know, not what he's asking.

None of this is a big deal, and I'm still a fan of Evernote. But this kind of service is disappointing.

Hi. Could you follow up with us later after you and Larry2 get it sorted out? It's always good to leave behind final remarks as a kindness for future visitors who might run across this thread. Thanks!

I think Evernote has gotten too big and it's not the same grassroot company it used to be.

I'm sure it's not the same small company it used to be...but I don't see that as a bad thing. The more successful they are, the more features they can add. As someone who uses Evernote every single hour I'm on a computer & then some (via my iPad & iPhone, auto forwarding from email), I know there have been several enhancements added that have added value to my use of Evernote.

FYI, Below is the reply I received from Evernote Customer Support. Good that they recognize and acknowledge the problem and intend to fix it. In an ideal world I would have also been asked if I'm OK with letting my subscription run through late 2014 when that was not my intent when I changed payment sources, but it's no big deal (because I would have said yes). Bottom line - I'm satisfied with their apology and expect to be a customer for many years.

Dear Jim,

I do apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately our payment system does need work. Unfortunately there isn't a way to switch except to cancel. There isn't anything our team could have done directly regarding that issue; however, their comments were not helpful and didn't explain the situation. Nor did they offer an apology as I do agree the current system leaves quite a bit to be desired. I am glad you were able to upgrade and hopefully we will get a system in place that would facilitate a change like this in the near future. I will also pass this onto their supervisor so that they agents can gain understanding of how to better assist in situations like this.

Thanks,

Larry

Evernote Support

Archived