Idea

Given the huge number of people who write in RTL languages, I'm surprised they haven't fixed this more quickly. Hopefully, it will not be long.

In the meantime, I've discovered a couple of things. I do sometimes write a few words in Hebrew (I don't know Arabic, so I can't test that). On my Android phone, I use a keyboard called Smart Keyboard Pro, precisely because it allows typing in a large number of languages, including RTL languages. I tried creating a new Evernote note and typing some Hebrew in it using Smart Keyboard Pro, and it typed correctly, right-to-left. Smart Keyboard Pro does include Arabic among its available languages. This might be a temporary measure that would work for some.

On Windows, I don't have Hebrew or Arabic implemented at the system level, but I do have Syriac, another RTL language, and I found I was able to get correct  RTL typing in an Evernote note when I selected Syriac as the language. I also use a word processor called Nota Bene, which has excellent facilities for writing both Hebrew and Arabic (though I admit I have not tested the Arabic!). When I write some Hebrew text in it and copy it to the Windows clipboard, then paste it into an Evernote note, it appears correctly formatted RTL, including word-wrap; and when I sync the note, it appears properly in Evernote on my Android phone. This might also work using RTL text created in Microsoft Word, but I'm not able to test that.

So there may be some workarounds: a RTL-capable keyboard in Android, and creating RTL text in a word processor in Windows and copying and pasting into Evernote. Not really solutions, but perhaps they may help someone get some work done in EN until the fix is implemented. Of course, I don't know what would happen to notes created in these ways when the fix happens!

• Like 2

Dear Matt,

I am surprised this issue has not been solved so far. It seems to be pending for way more than half a year now. In Evernote it should be possible to write from left to right or right to left or bidirectional (text from right to left and numbers or citations from left to right. These are basic concepts of markup language. If the editor doesn't support RTL you cannot edit any note without getting totally frustrated. In this case Evernote will become useless for anybody who needs to edit text in Arabic, Hebrew or any other language which is BIDI or RTL. This probably has cost Evernote already a quite number of premium members.

For example:

The following text was written RTL. After pasting it here (or in Evernote) it is converted into LTR. So the full stop is at the right which is at the beginning of the sentence instead at the end. And this is just the beginning of the trouble.

للأسف لا أستطيع أن أتكلم العربية.

Could you please bring this issue to the attention of someone who is capable to make a decisions about fixing this ASAP?

Thank you.

• Like 1

I love Evernote the best note program out there but it is becoming useless for me in this regard... I dont understand whats the big issue in fixing it... 

• Like 1

+ 1. I have the same need - writing right-to-left languages, on Mac, in Evernote. 

Same here, this is quite disappointing to have such a wonderful app without RTL support. not fixing this issue for more than 6 months show the priorities or the lack of them in addressing the issue.

Please fix this, it seriousely is hurting your returning customers.

Thank you.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sht.Eitan said:

Same here, this is quite disappointing to have such a wonderful app without RTL support. not fixing this issue for more than 6 months show the priorities or the lack of them in addressing the issue.

Please fix this, it seriousely is hurting your returning customers.

Thank you.

Agreed 

25 minutes ago, ghalibmeer said:

Agreed 

Amen

@Matt W. we're happy you'r not ignoring us (that would have just made me drop the use of the app completely) but please, this is crazy, I keep using the app & recording all my notes in it in such an uncomfortable way (every time I type in it I'm frustrated but keep believing it'll soon be fixed) - please don't abuse our patience- is there any expected time line for this to finally get fixed?

• Like 1

More than half a year passed, and still no updates on RTL support! This is ridiculous.

I guess I'll follow what other people did after checking this post: moving to another note app.

• Like 1

i work in four languages English, Urdu, Arabic and Hebrew. so practically evernote is useless for me without RTL support. Being one of the best program out there its a shame they are not resolving this issue. 

It seems that Evernote has slightly different features available on each of its platforms. But as someone who uses Evernote exclusively in Arabic, I have to say that I LOVE working in Evernote. I use a desktop-based, premium version on a Mac. I have full RTL support (enabled by right-clicking, then selecting text direction for paragraph). They are also one of the few programs that can actually do a decent text search in Arabic, even with OCR on images of texts. I'm sad to hear that RTL isn't enabled as well on other platforms, but if any of the commenters above are working on Macs, I'm surprised to hear you're having issues. Try downloading the desktop-based program and see if that resolves the issues? I'm including a screen shot of RTL options on my version of Evernote. Screen Shot 2017-01-09 at 10.32.21 AM.png

2 minutes ago, PhoenixWazi said:

It seems that Evernote has slightly different features available on each of its platforms. But as someone who uses Evernote exclusively in Arabic, I have to say that I LOVE working in Evernote. I use a desktop-based, premium version on a Mac. I have full RTL support (enabled by right-clicking, then selecting text direction for paragraph). They are also one of the few programs that can actually do a decent text search in Arabic, even with OCR on images of texts. I'm sad to hear that RTL isn't enabled as well on other platforms, but if any of the commenters above are working on Macs, I'm surprised to hear you're having issues. Try downloading the desktop-based program and see if that resolves the issues? I'm including a screen shot of RTL options on my version of Evernote. Screen Shot 2017-01-09 at 10.32.21 AM.png

I dont have a desktop... I use it on my android tablet 

Hi Wazi.

Thank you for your input. Looks like Mac has an advantage here :)

I am using the Desktop application, on Win10, and I don't have this option on my context-menu.

However, when I copy-paste RTL text from RTL paragraphs in MS-Word, they do retain this paragraph attribute when pasted into Evernote...

I like review blogs and videos of your product. I understand English; however, I use my phone in Hindi, and it is disturbing to switch languages for using evernote. It would be nice if Evernote is available in Hindi. Once things go well, I may go premium later as well!

• Like 1

Hi.  There are a lot of requests for RTL support in the forums.  Evernote is free to try,  so you can experiment with the layout for yourself..

5 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  There are a lot of requests for RTL support in the forums.  Evernote is free to try,  so you can experiment with the layout for yourself..

What layout? I'm premium user. 

Since you were asking,  rather than complaining about RTL's omission,  I thought you weren't yet a user. 

As an existing user,  what you see is all there is at present:  the 'layout' tools being the toolbar across the top of a note window.

I didn't imagine that Evernote after this effort and how they succeed still doesn't support RTL, Please solve this issue ASAP

Thank you

@Matt W.

Does this mean you've given up on this?

There is a way to resolve the RTL issue in all versions!
How do I know? from the following:

- The IOS version works ok - start writing & then long press the screen & click the IOS change orientation symbol (2 opposite horizontal arrows)
- The windows version works weird - it's possible to write from right to left but the cursor doesn't follow as you type & actually placing it at the end with the mouse makes typing start at the beginning of the line!
Additionally either typing numbers(!) or (god forbid) adding a word in English messes up the entire line & renders the text unintelligible & non-editable.
- If a note was written in IOS (aligned to the right first & then add the text, not the opposite or it won't work!) & then opened in the Windows program - magically the Windows program works perfect!

This shows you fixing all versions to do RTL is possible & I believe I've just given your programmers an option to check what is it that works & implement it in all versions.

Please help us, please, please, please

Dear developers,

Last year you've made a change in your Android app & since then it's very (very!) hard to use it for RTL languages.

Arabic alone is the next most spoken language in the world after English (http://www.vistawide.com/languages/top_30_languages.htm) (preceding it are only Chinese, Hindi & Spanish).

The support for RTL across all your platforms has been inconsistent & it's a shame as it's possible to achieve.

How do I know? from the following:

- The IOS version currently works ok - start writing & then long press the screen & click the IOS change orientation symbol (2 opposite horizontal arrows)
- The windows version works weird - it's possible to write from right to left but the cursor doesn't follow as you type & actually placing it at the end with the mouse makes typing start at the beginning of the line!
Additionally either typing numbers(!) or (god forbid) adding a word in English messes up the entire line & renders the text unintelligible & non-editable.
- If a note was written in IOS (aligned to the right first & then add the text, not the opposite or it won't work!) & then opened in the Windows program - magically the Windows program works perfect!

This shows you fixing all versions to do RTL is possible & I believe I've just given your programmers an option to check what is it that works & implement it in all versions.

Please help hundreds of millions of people use your apps (Adnriod in particular), please, please, please allow us to continue & use Evernote

Dear developers,

Last year you've made a change in your Android app & since then it's very (very!) hard to use it for RTL languages.

Arabic alone is the next most spoken language in the world after English (http://www.vistawide.com/languages/top_30_languages.htm) (preceding it are only Chinese, Hindi & Spanish).

The support for RTL across all your platforms has been inconsistent & it's a shame as it's possible to achieve.

How do I know? from the following:

- The IOS version currently works ok - start writing & then long press the screen & click the IOS change orientation symbol (2 opposite horizontal arrows)

Please help hundreds of millions of people use your apps (Adnriod in particular), please, please, please allow us to continue & use Evernote

Hi,

First of all let me say IOS is the only platform Evernote does a (very) good job in handling RTL.

My only complaint is this:

(After the text is aligned to the right & you input some text):
Writing a number followed by a dot at the beginning of a line (say 1.) the number will disappear.

Any insights?

Hey, I'm becoming so disappointed. Are you guys dropping support of RTL language altogether? Please tell us so we can move on!

Seems that as long as the app is rated over 4.5 in play store, nothing will change. If 20% of the users, which use RTL, will decrease the app rank to 3 stars or less, and explain why, this obvious need would be taken more seriously and respectfully.

At the moment it looks like no one cares :(

I agree that this is a very serious issue. In general, the Evernote programmers (like all prudent software developers) don't comment on when certain features will be added or restored or improved. But this really is a necessity for many millions of users and potential users, and in this case silence may (perhaps unfairly) give the impression of lack of interest. In a previous post, I did suggest a couple of workarounds:

But they are only workarounds, not really solutions.

4 hours ago, Talr said:

Seems that as long as the app is rated over 4.5 in play store, nothing will change. If 20% of the users, which use RTL, will decrease the app rank to 3 stars or less, and explain why, this obvious need would be taken more seriously and respectfully.

At the moment it looks like no one cares :(

Totally agree. Will do so right now.

By the way, Evernote's RTL was never working correctly. Always had problems with it on all platforms.

I asked about it on twitter. Will do the same in facebook.I will also open tickets now and then. And I rated one star and told the reason. Ignoring is not the best strategy to take with your clients, EVERNOTE!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Metallica said:

By the way, Evernote's RTL was never working correctly. Always had problems with it on all platforms.

They just blow the last punch. The only place it worked just fine, is now ruined. 

I recieved this message

10.jpg.b95cd25185996b0da5c25b8cc5bc8625.jpg

Not yet satisfied. I would change my rating as soon as they fix the problem.

7 hours ago, Amir All said:

I asked about it on twitter. Will do the same in facebook.I will also open tickets now and then. And I rated one star and told the reason. Ignoring is not the best strategy to take with your clients, EVERNOTE!

Agree lets give them a low rating... But not 1 star i think it wont be fair with them... 

7 hours ago, ghalibmeer said:

Agree lets give them a low rating... But not 1 star i think it wont be fair with them... 

I also rated them 1 star on Google Play Store and mentioned the reason. Also pinged them on twitter regarding this. To be honest, it's more than fair to treat them the way they treat their customers and ignore them. This is a super critical issue for many paying customers, including me. This is not a fancy feature which nobody uses or a minor bug that happens to 2 customers only. I am a software developer myself and I know how prioritizing tickets and "epics" should work. This should be prioritized as a "showstopper". If they don't understand this, let's make them understand.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2017 at 6:01 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

@meirjean, this very serious topic is being discussed in this thread:

@Dave-in-Decatur Thanks, but it seems they've stopped responding to our requests for an update & it's been very long, we hope they haven't given up on this

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Amir All said:

I rated one star and told the reason

Thanks Amir! Just did the same! and I guess if more people will do it, it'll give enough pressure (I hope), for them to get it done. 

1 hour ago, Metallica said:

I also rated them 1 star on Google Play Store and mentioned the reason. Also pinged them on twitter regarding this. To be honest, it's more than fair to treat them the way they treat their customers and ignore them. This is a super critical issue for many paying customers, including me. This is not a fancy feature which nobody uses or a minor bug that happens to 2 customers only. I am a software developer myself and I know how prioritizing tickets and "epics" should work. This should be prioritized as a "showstopper". If they don't understand this, let's make them understand.

I agree to what you are saying... Rtl is everything to me concerning notes, yet its a wonderful app and ditching it for rtl ia a shame they should do something in this regard 

• Like 1

Just gave them a 1 star rating for showing ZERO investment.

I wrote:

You should at least show some interest in the comments in your faq forum. No support for RTL and no comment on the subject no matter what people say. Very disappointing. First time I wrote a bad review.

Come the **** on man!  Its ******** 2017! Its adding some rtl code i could have done it myself in 2 days work,  get a grip Evernote devs,  you suck!

45 minutes ago, Amir All said:

Somehow I'm not relieved about the "If" part.  

17308898_10212642178597569_793073315580194979_n.jpg

more than a year and what we got is "if" 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sht.Eitan said:

This is pure gold.

Thank you.

You're welcome. We should be vocal about the matter. They should stop ignoring us.

• Like 1

Any one knows when will the application support RTL for Arabic users???!!!

No,  sorry - see all the other RTL topics in the Forums...  Evernote don't (usually) announce whether or when they're developing features,  so it's anyone's guess.

You know Evernote can see their users demographics so if there's a good number of Arab users this should make this feature a priority, right?!

You would have thought that users stats would factor into their decisions,  but they must have a lot of priorities...  :(

I found a temporary solution.. It's far from convenient but since I usually write in English and just wanted to transfer my original notes in Hebrew from an excel database, it's good enough :)

If I try to copy a text from excel to EN - no way to change direction.. but! if I first copy the text to a basic windows sticky note, then use the right ctrl-shift to change direction, and only THEN copy it from the sticky note to  EN - it works! 

If I want to write a new note in Hebrew I usually just copy an existing note with a proper RTL and erase all but a few words, carefully delete them, and start writing the note, and if I want to copy text in Hebrew to an existing LTR note, I'll do the sticky-note-method..

**BTW, it works both ways - meaning, once you have a note with a RTL format, you can't ctrl-shift it back to LTR, but if you copy the LTR text you want from a sticky note, you can create a note with part RTL and part LTR. 

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

hi

i am persian user

When I try to type in a text Persian English I write my text disrupted

Please solve this problem

On 11/28/2016 at 11:43 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Given the huge number of people who write in RTL languages, I'm surprised they haven't fixed this more quickly. Hopefully, it will not be long.

In the meantime, I've discovered a couple of things. I do sometimes write a few words in Hebrew (I don't know Arabic, so I can't test that). On my Android phone, I use a keyboard called Smart Keyboard Pro, precisely because it allows typing in a large number of languages, including RTL languages. I tried creating a new Evernote note and typing some Hebrew in it using Smart Keyboard Pro, and it typed correctly, right-to-left. Smart Keyboard Pro does include Arabic among its available languages. This might be a temporary measure that would work for some.

On Windows, I don't have Hebrew or Arabic implemented at the system level, but I do have Syriac, another RTL language, and I found I was able to get correct  RTL typing in an Evernote note when I selected Syriac as the language. I also use a word processor called Nota Bene, which has excellent facilities for writing both Hebrew and Arabic (though I admit I have not tested the Arabic!). When I write some Hebrew text in it and copy it to the Windows clipboard, then paste it into an Evernote note, it appears correctly formatted RTL, including word-wrap; and when I sync the note, it appears properly in Evernote on my Android phone. This might also work using RTL text created in Microsoft Word, but I'm not able to test that.

So there may be some workarounds: a RTL-capable keyboard in Android, and creating RTL text in a word processor in Windows and copying and pasting into Evernote. Not really solutions, but perhaps they may help someone get some work done in EN until the fix is implemented. Of course, I don't know what would happen to notes created in these ways when the fix happens!

Or switch to One Note :(

A função COLAR (copiar/colar) insere o texto copiado com uma formatação diferente do padrão. 

Para corrigir teremos que selecionar copiado e a clicar em "colar simples" 

9 minutes ago, Talsaleh said:

How so?

Voting buttons are in the top left corner of the discussion    593817ea0a268_ScreenShot2017-06-07at8_12_25AM.png.77807643fbb1825158b9237e5f4508cf.png

I am a client of EverNote for years.

I am also waiting YEARS for fixing FINALLY  the right to left typing.

I saw a lot of messages about this issue - but it seem to be that small and strange features are more urgent and important than fixing it. Features like "Find the word count for a note". Yes, so important. But giving a large number of users a way to type naturally in their language is less important.

I am a paying user of EverNote. I will not pay anymore until it will be fixed, and will found another solution. 

I recommend all other users with same issue to join me. 

Hi,

I am using Evernote version 7.11 GA. Couple of months before, i was able to write from right to left , however may be due to app update or..., All My notes written in Arabic became with directions left to right, they are not well text formatted and I can't write properly. This is very annoying.

After contacting Evernote support, it was stated that this is not support and i need to wait a feature request which is not sure to be available.

It is really disappointing as i rely on Evernote to keep  my notes which are mostly in Arabic and I've just bought 1 year subscription... 

Any workaround for this ?

Hello, @Hisham7, and welcome to the forums. This is a problem that has been raised frequently by users writing in a number of right-to-left languages. I gather that at one time it did work (it's interesting to hear that it worked a couple of months ago; most people have been missing it for much longer than that). I would like to do some right-to-left typing sometimes, and it's very frustrating that Evernote has not made this a higher priority. Obviously, it has to be implemented in a different way for each platform. But the requests have been piling up on all platforms. Here is a sample:

Thanks  Dave-in-Decatur. This is basic mandatory requirement, I  don't want to start thinking for an alternative to Evernote.Hopefully our voices are  heard by Evernote management, if not wee need to raise it..

I second this inquiry. I am a PhD student and love using evernote for my research notes, but this is difficult given that Evernote doesn't seem to be compatible w Devanagari or Arabic scripts

• Like 1

On My Windows 10 desktop app, I copy from MS Word for RTL texts. Things are OK, However, it's becoming painful after the latest update! Now, I have to align each paragraph to right individually. There should be a solution!!!

• Like 1

It is now 2017 and (at least) the iOS version still does not support RTL. Regrettebly, it is time to give up on this tool.

what are recommended alternatives and how easy is it to move my data ?

Also nothing in Android.

I already gave up with this. Still no interesting alternatives. Any ideas?

Dear Evernote Team.
good day.
I am an Evernote user and very proud to get the chance to use this great app, meantime i am Arabian user i want to suggest adding Arabic Language as user interface to Evernote"all platforms" and i am ready to translate it which will help Evernote to reach millions of Arabian users. 
i hope you can consider my suggestion and i am sure it will help so many people in the Arabian world.
Thanks & Best Regards
Ali

Hi – I initially submitted this message as a support request and was directed to post it here:

I use QWERTY Hebrew text entry on my computer and regular Hebrew entry on my iPhone app.

In both cases, the text defaults to a left-hand paragraph alignment instead of the right. When I enter punctuation it ends up on the wrong side of the sentence. I can easily change the alignment manually but the punctuation issue is particularly problematic. Strangely, in list view, punctuation appears in the right place, but not within the note itself.

Additionally I want to be able to compose notes that combine both English and Hebrew in the same line and given the issues above, I imagine that will also create formatting issues but have not experimented with it enough to identify them.

Generally, I'd just like to see improved support for Hebrew text within the app!

I know this feature has been asked many times on this forum. I haven't found real answer though. I just want to re-emphasize its importance with the competing with OneNote. I know I can overcome this by pasting from MS Word but formatting text will be difficult to manage then.

• Like 2

Hi, 

Am an Evernotenote lover, and  I use it almost everyday. 

But there is no option to write from right to left, for Arabic or Hebrew languages.

Yes there is an align option, but still writing from right to left is difficult.

And to clarify my point more, I snipped my screen for an option exists in adobe programs, and others like Microsoft's. 

Thank you.

Capture.PNG

For what it is worth, I am currently a Premium User and have been either Plus or Premium for some time. The Evernote folks should know that this is STILL an issue. I will talk a little about use cases and maybe some alternatives for making support easier.

Many people learning a Semitic language (including Hebrew, Arabic, Aramaic, etc) need to write notes, vocabulary,  add glosses (short definitions) to text, or record references (like the gentlemen in this thread with Strong's concordance numbers (LTR) intersperesed with RTL text, Syriac was it?). This is also clearly going to be true of anyone doing original language Bible or Koran study. It is currently true of researchers studying ME terrorism, the Israeli-Palestinian crisis, or other similar issues. Evernote, in some ways, is a perfect tool to organize, index, and search that kind of thing. As it turns out, I do all three of these things and I am building up a good amount of mixed-language notes. Almost all of my paper notebooks on language studies, Bible Studies, and Terrorism research have moved to electronic text, either typed or hand-written with a stylus.

Evernote seems to have little problem indexing text and tags in multiple languages (other than some issues searching and matching pointed text--- but we'll talk about that another day ;-) ). Actually ENTERING the text in EverNote, at least on Android (5, 6, and 7) is a *royal* pain in the rear. Much of the time, I end up putting the tablet down in frustration, syncing over to NixNote on Linux, fixing the text, and syncing back. NixNote's RTL support is *not* perfect either, but it is MUCH more reliable than the Android app.

Here is some detail on things I try to do (cut and paste from my notebooks), numbered for reference, then I'll talk a little about ways Evernote might either improve OR *avoid* the issues.

[1] Language exercises:

----

Translate Hebrew To English:
  1. אַתָה הוּא הֳֽאֱלֹהִים וַאֲנַ֫חְנוּ עַמְךָ בְּנֵי־בְרִיתָֽךָ
    • Thou art the God and we your people, sons of your covenant.
  2. שָׁלַח מֹשֶׂה מְרַגְלִים אֶת־אֶ֫רֶץ כְּנַ֫עַן וְהָֽאֲנָשִׁים הָיוּ אַנְשֵׁי־שׁם, רְאֹשֵׁי־יִשְׂרָאֵל
    • Moses sent out spies into the land of Canaan, and the men were men-of-name, chiefs among the Israelites.

---

(You may see boxes where some of the characters don't display properly in your font: that isn't a problem in the app.) You've got alternating RTL and LTR text on different lines.

[2] Vocabulary

---

כְּנַ֫עַן - Canaan
מְרַגֵּל - spy
לֶ֫חֶם - bread

---

[3] Mixed language notes

This is closely related to the Arabic practice of mubahlaga ("مُبالَغة": the "ah" is an 'a' as in 'father' and the 'g' is an aspirated sound like in "gomorah"), which is more or less a habitual practice of excessive, almost fantastic exaggeration. There are a few reasons why this practice happens, but...

[4] Definitions

---

אניה: 'onîyâh
  1. Ship
    1. Men of ships, seamen [BDB ]
From H590

Strong's Definition: Feminine of H590; a ship: - ship ([-men]). 

יונה/Jonah 1:3 & 4

Q: Why is seamen feminine?
---

With #2 you've got mixed LTR and RTL text on the same lines, often separated by punctuation. This could be RTL terms with LTR definitions or vice-versa. With #3 and #4, you have mixed free-form text which may suddenly contain text in the reverse definition. Notice that in the definition of oniyah above I have Hebrew, English, phonetics, links, and keywords all tied together. I can type the characters very easily by switching software keyboards and, in theory, have it all neatly indexed in Evernote. I can even attach hand-writing to add Ancient Hebrew pictograms (I haven't figured out how to type those yet!) all neatly packaged.

What Goes Wrong:

When entering the text, cursor handling becomes totally bizarre. In the best of programs, it can be confusing to move the cursor in and out of the runs of bi-directional text and keep track of where you are (do you move the cursor logically such that the forward arrow takes you to the next logical letter in the sequence, or does the right arrow always move one space right and the left arrow one space left? Evernote doesn't even try. It leaves the cursor in one place and the next character typed goes wherever it feels like. If the cursor is at the end of the line, RTL text is added at the beginning; if I put the cursor at the beginning of the line, text is entered at the end! Using the arrows to move through the text (say, on a bluetooth keyboard) is an exercise in frustration. With either the software keyboard (say Hebrew Nikud Icon-Me or Multi-Ling O Keyboard) or a hardware keyboard, it often forgets where it is and just starts adding new text at the end of the line but a Backspace then deletes in the other direction! This is especially true when pointing (add in vowel marks and accents) in Hebrew or Arabic. The app sometimes loses its mind in this case and starts creating total gobbledy-*****. I have to then select the block of text, delete it, and retype. Sometimes just selecting the most recent RTL character and retyping that seems to let the app figure itself out, but that leads me to the next issue:

Selecting bidirectional text is completely nightmarish. When I sweep out a block of text with finger, mouse, arrow-keys, or stylus, it highlights a more or less arbitrary run of text with the selection handles in completely meaningless positions. I then flail at things randomly until it decides to select the right letter. Moving a handle up, down, right, or left changes the selection in some unrelated fashion. This is often where I give up and go to NixNote or type the text in something else and paste it in. The text above with יונה/Jonah in English and Hebrew was one of those spots I fiddled with for a good while in the app before giving up but it only took me a second or two in this web form, including the time to switch keyboard modes. I often have to type a reference like that in both languages so **either will hit on a search.** With text selection broken, not only is it hard to enter text, it is almost impossible to even fix the problems the app causes.

For the most part, ONCE I GET THE TEXT ENTERED, it looks fine on Android, the web app, and NixNote (given appropriate choice of fonts), so somewhere the Unicode must be handled correctly by your back end. I suspect your back end doesn't really care, which is good and the way it should work.

Other approaches:

Doing bidirectional text right is hard. (I am a retired programmer, believe me, I know!) and sometimes broken APIs underneath make it *really* hard. But, there are also some ways to cheat which might make some of these folks (like me) happ[y/ier]. I am happy with cheating if it gets the problem fixed and reduces my frustration level.

A. Be able to add equivalent search terms. If I can file somewhere that when I search for Jonah, I want to find references to יונה as well, then I don't have to write both terms as often like I did in #4. If I only need to write one term (and I don't care which, mostly), then I have less mixed text and both of us have less frustration. It's less to go wrong. This also would fix problems with searching pointed text by accident (e.g. מלך and מֶ֫לֶךְ don't currently match in your searches, one with and one without vowel-pointing. Strictly speaking, they should search equivalent, just like King and king, but if I can work around it... I really don't care.) This is also VERY important in researching ME history and events anyway as the same name, say of a historical figure, can be transliterated 8 different ways in 8 different articles.

B. Be able to either split LTR and RTR into multiple columns or C. simple tables. When I do vocabulary lists like #2 or translations like #1, it could be split into columns. In fact, when I do it on paper, I use reversed legal paper with a very wide margin on the right. I write RTL in the main body and LTR in the wide margin. With Greek, I use regular legal paper with the wide margin on the left. You could make the same thing easy to do in software and people would have to mix text less often. I have also done them as simple tables in NixNote (Don't seem to be able to in the Android app) which puts the LTR and RTR text in separate boxes: Hebrew/Arabic terms go in one column, English glosses in the other. Again, less mixed text, less problems. Either solution would have side-benefits for non-bidirectional users. Lots of folks take class notes in columns and that's why they make legal pads with those wide margins in the first place.

Really the only thing left then is #2, free-form mixed-language text suddenly switching directions. If it comes down to that and I have to type it in another app and paste it in, sure, that would still be frustrating, but MUCH less so. As it is, however, since I bang into this problem all the time, I am seriously thinking of giving OneNote a try. I'd rather leave my data where it is and just have the problem go away.

• Like 1

Hello there!
Unfortunately there is no support in Middle east language - Hebrew,Arabic, which is a bit frustrating since the notes look a bit mess - or it require you to write English only - which sometimes not the best idea because the mother tongues are different... Middle east are usually written from right to left, so it could be great if you add this to the very coming future list of tasks :) 

I noticed that if I write RTL a paragraph in Hebrew in Microsoft Word,  and than copy paste, I am able to go on in Evernote.
Yet Evernote should do someting.

Israelis, Arabs and Iranians are not going to upgrade to the full version, and are not a small market...

• Like 1

It is really a pity that this issue isn't resolved until now !!!

Should we still give 5 stars or lower our evaluation until this issue is resolved ???

Hi

RTL language still doesn't work properly. 

Do you have any plans to fix this issue? 

Please update so that users can look for alternatives in case you have no plans to provide proper editing of RTL languages. 

I'm writing this because one thread from 2016 ended up without solution and this problem is still not resolved after one and a half year. 

I'm afraid that the team at evernote declared mutiny on board, this is why they are not able to correct this bug or rhinoceros that they introduced into their code in 2016. 

Will the mutiny end before the end of this year? It remains to be seen ...

I will stay tuned for the sequel!!!

لو سمحتم يا جماعة إفرنوت، أخبرونا عن المستجدات بهذا الشأن، فقد نفكر بوضع البرنامج ضمن الوصية ...

وشكرا جزيلا على الإهتمام الفائق.

I write in Persian but Evernote does not support such typing. Please fix this and update me as soon as this has been done

Hello. 

Imagin you want to write a note and suddenly, the text is acting weird all of the sudden: A word ends up at the end of the sentence, the rest of the sentence after that word. After a couple of that incident, your input is rendered unreadable. 

So. This is how the middle eastern, are experiencing @EverNote right now. Being one of those middle eastern, I find it unbearable to use Evernote. There already have been topics on this matter, and they have been ignored. 

I would love it if Evernote team reconsiders this important and vital feature. 

Thank you. 

I'm still talking with support to bring attention to this issue. 

Please support by reaching out and asking for RTL-support, once again.

• Like 1

Guest damafo26

I see that Evernote doesn't support Farsi language (also called Parsi or Persian) as well as enough. One of the problems that I can tell the community now is this:

Android app and web app (I don't know about the others) show every text which is typed in Farsi in a wrong order and also it's hard to be edited because this problem is not just about showing; In Evernote web app it's very hard to remove characters, select words, copy, and etc. 

You should add an option to switch left-to-right and right-to-left order. Pay attention: You should add it for showing and editing both.

Am I dreaming...??? :o:o:o After all these years has Evernote finally added RTL support (Right-to-Left direction) for their "Evernote for Windows" ?

For the first time, :D:D:D I've just succeeded creating a RTL Hebrew note without the need to use any workarounds.

For RTL note (Hebrew for example):
(make sure your EN/HE keyboard is on HE)

- New Note (or ctrl-N) to create a new note
- Enter the title
- Press the RIGHT cltrl-shift of the keyboard
- Start typing.

I haven't yet fully tested it but it seems to work well.
No issues with punctuation marks, numbers and adding English text.

My Evernote version is now 6.10 . Can someone with 6.11 please confirm that 6.11 also supports RTL (because there's no mention of it  in the changelog) ?

And Finally, if the functionality is really OK, can someone (@gazumped maybe ?) please ask the Evernote developers to add 2 direction buttons (RTL & LTR) to the Customize Toolbar window.

Win 7 x64
Evernote 6.10.3.6921 (306921) Public (CE Build ce-1.39.4387)

They finally added it !! :):):)    See my new post here -

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the notification! I see that this applies to the Windows program. Do you know whether it's working in Android yet?