You can use any scanner. If you are using Windows, you can set up an import folder that will import any files that are placed in the folder. I do this pretty much every single day, with a variety of scanners. Please search/peruse the boards to find existing info on import folders, should you need it.

• Level 5*

You can use any scanner. If you are using Windows, you can set up an import folder that will import any files that are placed in the folder. I do this pretty much every single day, with a variety of scanners.

Of course, BNF is right. On the Mac, I use the following method about once a week:

(1) scan to folder

(2) OCR (Adobe Acrobat Pro)

(3) change names (YYMMDD + keywords)

(4) select all and drag into Evernote --all done!

I think the OP might have been wanting to press a button and have the scan appear in their account, right?

Thanks GM, and BNF! Please forgive me but I am really not technically savy! GM I have a HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus. If I understand you correctly I need to create a "inbox" folder that I want all scans to go to? Then step 2 OCR (Adobe Acrobat Pro) ? What is that? Step 3 The change names (YYMMDD + keywords) is that the file name I want to give the items? Again I am so sorry for not being more astute technically. I really appreciate all your help!

• Level 5*

Thanks GM, and BNF! Please forgive me but I am really not technically savy! GM I have a HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus. If I understand you correctly I need to create a "inbox" folder that I want all scans to go to? Then step 2 OCR (Adobe Acrobat Pro) ? What is that? Step 3 The change names (YYMMDD + keywords) is that the file name I want to give the items? Again I am so sorry for not being more astute technically. I really appreciate all your help!

Oh, you are a newbie! Well, we will get you up to speed :)

(1) The HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus. Play around with it and tell us how it goes. It should be fine (see the article and Comment #12 at http://www.joetaxpayer.com/scanning-evernote/)

(2) OCR = Optical Character Recognition = "reading" scanned images to find text. Don't worry about it. If you are under 100 pages, then Evernote will do it for you (as a Premium member)

(3) The names? See my write-up here (http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/evernote-organization.html)

Good luck!

Thanks for the help, but I've actually grown even more frustrated! I can't seem to make the scan go to where I'm designating and its taking waaaaaay too long to scan a simple black and white document with only text! I couldn't find the HP device manager or the HP Folder in my applications folder! If anyone runs across a video tutorial on this I'd appreciate if you'd send me the link! Thanks again! Technology is supposed to make things easier I thought?

• 2 months later...

Seminarian72,

You don't mention the OS you're using but here's how I did it on the Mac (OS v 10.6.8 Snow Leopard):

1. Open Image Capture from your Applications
  2. If the details are hidden click the "Show Details" button at the bottom of the window
  3. From the "Scan To:" dropdown select "Other..."
  4. Navigate to your Applications folder and find Evernote. Now when you scan your documents automagically will be placed into your Evernote account. This does assume you have Evernote installed on your computer.
  5. For receipts I have my settings set for Black and White; 300 dpi Resolution; PDF Format
  6. The field "Name:" is what your note will be titled after it scans

If you're on Mountain Lion you can follow Matt's instructions at ComputerSight to which I give full credit for these instructions (with modification for my OS). He has images as well which may help if you're visually oriented.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks a lot for these instructions.

• Open Image Capture from your Applications
  • If the details are hidden click the "Show Details" button at the bottom of the window
  • From the "Scan To:" dropdown select "Other..."
  • Navigate to your Applications folder and find Evernote. Now when you scan your documents automagically will be placed into your Evernote account. This does assume you have Evernote installed on your computer.
  • For receipts I have my settings set for Black and White; 300 dpi Resolution; PDF Format
  • The field "Name:" is what your note will be titled after it scans

Just to let you know they also work fine in more recent versions of OS X (up to and including 10.9).

• 6 months later...

The ScanSnap Evernote edition does have some key integrations with Evernote that standard ScanSnaps do not. 

That being said, the entire ScanSnap line can scan directly to Evernote, but some key things not offered:

1) Special business card scanning with linkedin integration

2) Ability to automatically place receipts in a specified location with specific tag, or photos, or documents, etc. 

3) The ScanSnap Evernote Edition companion software is attractive looking. The Plain-Jane ScanSnap software from Fujitsu is a bit utilitarian. 

4) The ScanSnap Evernote Edition comes with a 1 year Premium subscription. (The plain-jane scansnap comes with some other software licenses). 

The ScanSnap Evernote Edition is also a $550 scanner (in Canada), and modelled on the Scansnap ix500 which is also about $550 in Canada. That's a lot of scanner! There are other, less expensive scanners in the ScanSnap line that might fit your needs. 

So it depends a bit on how much scanning you need, and how important some of those key Evernote integrations are. 

Drop into the Evernote Market forum in this community where the ScanSnap Evernote Edition is discussed at length. 

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived