• Announcements

• gbarry

Reach out to Evernote support on Twitter @EvernoteHelps   09/20/2016

We've been leveling up our support across all channels. If you're active on Twitter, try your hand with our @evernotehelps feed. It's helmed by a crack team out of Austin, TX who are here to answer your questions. They're generally active from 7am-4pm CST.  https://twitter.com/evernotehelps  
roschler

windows (Archived) Free Utility: Tag Hunter - Intelligent Tag Search for Power Tag Users

roschler    158

Hello again @jbenson2,

When I use the Cloud view, paycheck does not show up in red.

The tag highlighted in red in cloud view is not the best match. It is merely the match that is closest to the center of the view area and is the one that will be launched when you click the Show Notes In Evernote button. Here's the color legend for Cloud view:

Currently selected tag (RED)

Closest matches (BLUE)

Other matches (BLACK)

I'll take a look at positioning the 100% match in cloud view at the center when cloud view first loads. I hadn't thought of that.

-- roschler

jbenson2    1,981

re: list view

It would be nice if I could launch the 100% tag directly from the Score view.

I'm a little confused here. You can launch from list view. Just click on the tag you want until it's highlighted and click the Show Notes In Evernote button. Is this not working for you?

Ahh, forgot to hit the Show Notes button.

Yes, it does work.

The new list feature with Score (%) helps a lot. Actually, I find it more useful than the Cloud view.

List view is better when you are sure about the Tag you are looking for. Cloud view is better when you need to be reminded about other tags that you have forgotten. It is also beneficial when you do a multi-tag search. At least that's how it works out for me.

-- roschler

Understand. I'll play around with the multi-tag search.

• Like 1

roschler    158

New version. The Tag Cloud is now sorted by closest match so when the Tag Cloud first shows, the closest match is closest to you visually and the weaker matches are to the back of the Cloud. Thanks to @jbenson2 for the suggestion. :)

Download TagHunter 1.1.0.6

Here's a screenshot of the sorted Tag Cloud:

taghunter-sorted-cloud.png

-- roschler

• Like 1

BurgersNFries    2,397

@BurgersNFries,

Please download the latest version. I've added a simple list view that shows the scores too in descending order, best matches at the top. I've added a screen shot and update to my original post that you can check out first.

Thanks,

-- roschler

Sorry for the delay, roschler... I'd not taken the time to download the latest version, due to other priorities. However, this morning, I was looking for a tag & YES!!! I was able to find it using the original/tag cloud version. (THANK YOU!) I subsequently downloaded & installed the newer version & Yes, I like that one much better! I was looking for a tag that I knew contained the words "mother" "red" "address" "book". I've apparently nested it somewhere & could not find it quickly. Using the two search terms "red" & "book" did not bring the right tag up immediately in big letters in the tag cloud. But I was able to hover around quickly enough to find it. (YAY!) But in the updated/list view, that tag showed up at the top of the list with a 100 % match. What a great job you did on this app!

THANK YOU!!!!

Big props to you!!!

• Like 1

BurgersNFries    2,397

PS - I would also add that I like the fact that the list view includes the various other matches. I can see where this would be helpful & that I will find useful. I think I just have an aversion to tag clouds b/c as I stated above, it seems to me if something matches 100%, that should be the thing in big, bold letters & the defaulted selection. (Not really trying to continue to dog tag clouds, just trying to explain why I like the list version MUCH better!)

UPDATE: I see where the tag cloud now DOES default the selection to the best match. Although I still prefer the list view, that makes the tag cloud more palatable, IMO. But when I move my mouse to click on that, it moves. (sigh) I guess that's why I just don't like tag clouds.

Anyway, I LOVE the list view & appreciate that you added that!

• Like 1

roschler    158

Hello BurgersNFries,

Thank you for the kind words!

Don't worry. I searched the web and I did not find any mention of a Tag Cloud Defamation League so I think you're safe. :)

This is why I like feedback from real users besides myself. It makes a better product for myself too. I've become quite fond of the List view and the sorted Tag Cloud. As I said to jbenson2, the Tag Cloud is more of an exploration tool than a hard core search tool. It helps jog my memory of other similar tags that I used to describe the same topic that I'd forgotten about. When I want find a specific tag I use the List view now.

But when I move my mouse to click on that, it moves.

The Tag Cloud does take a little getting used to. I was going to make it so you just clicked on a Tag in the cloud to select it, but when there's a lot of matches the Tags are frequently on top of each other and trying to figure out the one you actually meant to click on is hard. Instead you:

• Click on the tag you want and leave the mouse where you just clicked, letting the Tag Cloud rotate the tag until it is dead center and highlighted in red.
  • Then you click again to stop the Tag Cloud from spinning

-- roschler

jbenson2    1,981

Minor suggestion - certainly not a show stopper:

When I run Tag Hunter full screen, there is a lot of unused real estate.

It would be nice if the Cloud List section could be dragged upwards to show more tags.

• Like 1

jbenson2    1,981

Suggestion:

I have many tags that fit the 100% Score (thanks to your addition of the Nested Tag Delimiter)

It would be nice to be able to copy the results (Ctrl A), so I could paste them into Excel for sorting and further review.

Here is a portion of my tags containing Acronyms.

http://www.evernote....2b5cc0bacd4c65a

• Like 1

jbenson2    1,981

Suggestion:

This one might be over the top.

How about another column. Score%, Tag, and # of Notes

I do housecleaning in Evernote to find tags that are not used very much.

If I find a tag that is used less than 5 times, I will add the tag to the notes as a keyword and then delete the tag.

Warning:

Even if you could do this, you might want to think twice.

Other people might start requesting additional filters to see how many tags are in a specific notebook.

• Like 1

roschler    158

There's a new version up that now allows you to select rows in the list view and copy them to the clipboard so you can paste them into other applications. It supports the full Ctrl-Click, Shift-Click selection mechanisms you expect when working with a list box. Thanks to @jbenson2 for the suggestion. Here's the download link to TagHunter version 11.0.7.

Enjoy! :)

-- roschler

roschler    158

Minor suggestion - certainly not a show stopper:

When I run Tag Hunter full screen, there is a lot of unused real estate.

It would be nice if the Cloud List section could be dragged upwards to show more tags.

That problem has been fixed now jbenson2. Thanks for reporting it. The Cloud View expands now instead of the top panel.

Suggestion:

This one might be over the top.

How about another column. Score%, Tag, and # of Notes

I do housecleaning in Evernote to find tags that are not used very much.

If I find a tag that is used less than 5 times, I will add the tag to the notes as a keyword and then delete the tag.

I'll ask Evernote if there's a quick way to calculate those stats. I may have to limit it to searching for N notes or less so that the operation is not a big time consumer. However, that sounds like it will still fit your needs for pruning tags?

Warning:

Even if you could do this, you might want to think twice.

Other people might start requesting additional filters to see how many tags are in a specific notebook.

Software is a two-state phenomenon. Either no one is using your product and your feature list is tiny. Or people like your product and your feature list is longer than your available time by a factor of many. :)

-- roschler

gazumped    5,779

Thanks for the new versions - awesome development rate!

One suggestion as to direction for TagHunter - we've all been wingeing commenting about the lack of a 'proper' tag manager in Evernote for generalised adding, editing and planning a tag structure - could your app display an existing long flat list of tags and help group related items into stacks? It might help to display a note against each tag as a reminder of where they're meant to be used - a kind of tagging system for tags!

This isn't an urgent need - or even a current one: just suggesting a possible area for future consideration...

roschler    158

Thanks for the new versions - awesome development rate!

One suggestion as to direction for TagHunter - we've all been wingeing commenting about the lack of a 'proper' tag manager in Evernote for generalised adding, editing and planning a tag structure - could your app display an existing long flat list of tags and help group related items into stacks? It might help to display a note against each tag as a reminder of where they're meant to be used - a kind of tagging system for tags!

This isn't an urgent need - or even a current one: just suggesting a possible area for future consideration...

I'll put that on the list for future consideration gazumped and thanks for the suggestion.

-- roschler

• Like 1

Har Geraets    6

Hi,

What a super tool. I like the idea, I like your solution and the way it works. I'll work with it for a few day and than make it a blog-topic on my blog on www.workactive.nl..

For now i got one remark. While testing i got the next error: (TCalcEntropicSphere3DPoints.Create) The number of items is less than 2.

When i repeat the search i get the error The number of elements in the tag cloud array does not match the number.....

Then TagHunter freezes.

Please advice me what to do.

Regard,

Har Geraets

www.workactive.nl

www.mindandhand.nl

• Like 1

roschler    158

Hello Har,

Is it possible that you are doing a search for something that you literally have no tags that match it, even remotely? How many tags do you have? It may be that your search is resulting less than 2 results. The tag cloud viewer doesn't know how to handle that. Usually with the fuzzy search that almost never happens since there's typically at least a few matches. But your particular situation may be different. I'll add code to watch for that occurrence in the next build and prevent the error. Thanks for reporting that.

-- roschler

Har Geraets    6

Hello Roschler,

What a fast reaction.

I do have a few hundred tags. One of them is !Wie.MaH,Brainpartner. My search in TagHunter was for brainpartner. This is the only tag with the word brainpartner i have. I welcome your fix.

Keep on the good work.

Har

• Like 1

BurgersNFries    2,397

Dang, I was wishing your utility worked on notebooks/stacks, a few minutes ago. I was looking for a notebook that I'd apparently put into a stack & couldn't find it. (ARGHHH....!!!) Immediately I thought "Tag Hunter" & then a second later realized my problem was with notebooks & not tags. (pout) Of course with the 250 limit on notebooks and only two levels deep, finding a notebook is not as problematic as it can be with tags.

Anyway, I think you should post a link where happy users can buy you a beer. Just sayin'

• Like 2

jbenson2    1,981

Copy and paste into a spreadsheet works great. Thank you.

- I can see the BIG PICTURE and find mistakes easily. Just awesome!

- One extra benefit is that my spreadsheet points out tag spelling errors.

Increasing the viewable information in the full screen mode works fine. Thanks

The search for Tags or Notebooks option (right side) is a neat feature.

• Like 1

jbenson2    1,981

Suggestion - Instead of:

Copy to Clipboard - ? - Select All - Copy to Clipboard

Would this be a more logical sequence:

Select First Row Only - Select All - Copy to Clipboard - ?

• Like 1

roschler    158

- Haven't figured out how to get a full dump of all my tags, Currently searching for just the letter e (most common letter) to get the majority of my tags.

I'd have to add that as a feature, something like Copy All Tags/Notebooks to clipboard. Perhaps in the next release.

Suggestion - Instead of:

Copy to Clipboard - ? - Select All - Copy to Clipboard

Would this be a more logical sequence:

Select First Row Only - Select All - Copy to Clipboard - ?

Yes it would. I'll change that.

Question

Is there a way to determine the Version I am running?

It should be at the very top of the form in the Title bar, after Android Technologies, Inc.?

-- roschler

jbenson2    1,981

I moved one of my comments to here for some additional detail.

Feedback on copy and paste into a spreadsheet

I haven't figured out how to get a full dump of all my tags, Currently searching for just the letter e (most common letter) to get the majority of my tags.

Tried to trick the program by using the 3 search fields and searching for :

Tag 1: a

Tag 2: e

Tag 3: i

But that resulted in duplicates and triplicates in the spreadsheet.

edit: Just read your comment:

"I'd have to add that as a feature, something like Copy All Tags/Notebooks to clipboard. Perhaps in the next release."