(Archived) Syncing: How get deleted notes treated?

I'd like to know how EN syncing works. I have 2 scenarios in mind:

1. I have deleted a few notes which I don't need anymore (on my PC). I am syncing and EN gets updated and deletes the notes in the Web version as well. That seems to be correct.

2. I have deleted notes by accident and want these notes back (let's assume they are gone from the trash on my PC as well). If I sync, then EN will do the same as in scenario 1) and my notes are gone???

Obviously those 2 scenarios can happen and how does EN "decide" what I want when I sync??

I'd like to know how EN syncing works. I have 2 scenarios in mind:

1. I have deleted a few notes which I don't need anymore (on my PC). I am syncing and EN gets updated and deletes the notes in the Web version as well. That seems to be correct.

2. I have deleted notes by accident and want these notes back (let's assume they are gone from the trash on my PC as well). If I sync, then EN will do the same as in scenario 1) and my notes are gone???

Obviously those 2 scenarios can happen and how does EN "decide" what I want when I sync??

What platform(s) are you using?

In the Windows desktop, you can set how often you want EN to auto sync or turn auto sync off entirely. On the web client, you can turn auto save off.

There is no way for EN (or any other app) to know if you're intentionally deleting a note or accidentally deleting a note. But EN does put deleted notes into the trash. Personally, I rarely empty the trash (EN does not do this automatically.) And before I do, I make a backup of my EN database.

If you use EN across multiple computers/platforms, there may be workarounds, if you have the notes stored locally (on the computer/device). But in general, I would suggest you don't empty the trash often & then you can recover accidentally deleted notes.

I'm confused on how we would be able to tell the difference between an accidentally deleted note and a truly deleted note. As BnF posted, you can keep notes in your trash as long as you'd like and only empty it when you're sure there's nothing in there that is important. Backing up also helps :)

• Level 5*
Ok. I understand. The Trash is my friend! :)

Indeed. I wouldn't empty the trash unless it was really causing a performance problem. Of course, if there's a note in there that's 3 months old or more, then it's probably pretty likely that I really don't need it.

Archived