• Announcements

• Shane D.

Evernote Webinars   12/01/2017

We've recently begun conducting Evernote Webinars for various topics and subjects. Take a look at the Calendar to check them out, and see if they interest you! Keep an eye out as there will be more to come in the future!
svidd

(Archived) Organizing PDF library with Evernote

Hi Raul,

Thank you for the tips. It is brilliant. I could not get it to work by dragging the file from the Zotero stoage location to the Add Link dialogue box in Evernote, but I was able to create a short cut to the PDF and move the shortcut to the Evernote note. Just dragging the file would be a little bit easier and eliminate a couple steps so I will work around with this a little more. But in the meantime, thank you for pointing me in a good direction.

Also, I am curious about your use of box.net. Are you using the new stand alone version of Zotero or the one integrated with Firefox? I am using the version in Firefox. I do have it on both my work and home computers, but the Zotero in firefox automatically syncs with zotero.org and when I open it in the browser on either computer it automatically starts the sync process. But I have not tried the stand alone version since it was introduced so maybe it does not have the automatic sync feature. Thanks again!

Amie

Hi Amie!

First of all, I apologize for the spelling mistakes, but English is not my native language.

About Drag&Drop: read again the step 2) of my previous post. If you right click on the selected paper in Zotero, a menu is open and you must select 'Show File' (the third item from top). Then the *finder* it is open and show the PDF paper in a folder with a strange name, like '928GDRVK'. Drag&Drop the PDF file in this folder to the add link dialogue box.

About the second question, yes I use the version integrated with Firefox.

Zotero allow change the location of the PDF library, which defaults to a 'deep' folder in the Firefox profile, and it is different in each computer where you install zotero.

The trick it is to change the location of the library to the same folder @home and @work. I change it to the top level of my disk, so in zotero preferences the special location is '\zotero' (without the quotes)

In this way, if you have at work a file in \zotero\928GDRVK\xx.pdf, then at home you will have the same file in the same folder, because in the process, Zotero does not change the strange name of the folder, which is very important (thanks zotero!)

So the link to the file in Evernote will work at Home & Work, because the file are in the same place. I test it and works fine!

I don't use the free zotero 'cloud' storage because it is very limited in size.

I have a free account in Box.com of 50GB, and Box allow the webdav protocol (but, don't provide support for it) that is required by zotero.

To setup the storage of PDF library in Box.com, go to zotero preferences, and in label 'synchronization' check the box 'Sync the attached files to WebDAV', and then:

URL: https :// www.box.com/dav

User. your box.com user name (normally, your email)

Pssw: your box.com password

After that, if all are ok, each paper that you add to zotero in your work computer, will be sync to zotero @Home and viceversa.

Again, I test it, work fine and I use this procedure a lot!

I don't use the stand alone version, I don't know if this procedure works in such case (I think not)

I'm glad this will be useful for you...I you have more questions, please let me know.

Edit: everything works well if all computers are Mac's or Windows. You can not mix Mac & Win because you can not do that Zotero save the PDF in the same folder on both OS (there is a 'C: \ ...' in Win)

My question to svidd is "what is the purpose of your large collection of PDFs"? Are you a student or in a position which requires you to cite articles in papers that you write or is your large collection of PDFs for personal reference?

If you are in a position that requires you to write papers that need sitations, I highly recommend Zotero.

Yes, I am a student and it is a collection of PDFs for research.  Thanks for your suggestion.  I tried using Zotero (and Mendeley) to organize my PDFs, but the fact that Zotero duplicates all my PDFs made it unmanageable it for me.  Because I couldn’t get myself in the habit of always opening my PDFs through Zotero, I had the problem of duplicate copies of PDFs with different notes in them.  On the other hand, linking to the original location (like with Ctrl-K in Evernote) will mean I cannot move the original file without breaking the link.

- all changes made to pdf files (e.g. highlightings) get automatically synced

Regarding import, it is a matter of seconds on Widnows - just set up the import folder and copy all pdf files in it (Tools/Import Folders).

I tried setting up an import folder, but it does not sync changes.  Rather, when I make a change (highlight) to the PDF, Evernote uploads a second version of the PDF.  So now I have 2 PDFs in Evernote, one before the highlight and one after.  Have I done something wrong?

- all changes made to pdf files (e.g. highlightings) get automatically synced

Regarding import, it is a matter of seconds on Widnows - just set up the import folder and copy all pdf files in it (Tools/Import Folders).

I tried setting up an import folder, but it does not sync changes.  Rather, when I make a change (highlight) to the PDF, Evernote uploads a second version of the PDF.  So now I have 2 PDFs in Evernote, one before the highlight and one after.  Have I done something wrong?

An Import Folder is not designed to sync changes.  It is for a one-time import of a file into an Evernote note.  Set your Import preferences to delete the files in that folder after import.  (Keep a copy somewhere else if you really need one) 

To make changes to your file,  open the copy stored in the note and save changes back to it.