Converting EN pdf to Text

Hi,

I am keeping a lot of pdfs in my EN database and noticed some "swelling" of the size of the EN database.

What I would like to do is to convert the pdf document into text and then save the document into EN. I think this will save me a lot of space.

How do you do that and is that a useful strategy?

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Hi and welcome to the Forums. You do appreciate that if you convert your documents to text, you'll use all layout information? You'll get a display like the posts in this Forum - without even bold or italic. If that's your wish, you can use any PDF editor and "Save As" to convert to text or Word formats. You'll need to delete the existing document and save your new text file in the same note. Personally, I'd say that's a lot of work - if you're really committed to doing this, just do so for new notes, not the existing ones. As to whether it's necessary at all, my database is currently 10GB and still going strong. I see no reason to abandon PDFs as yet.

Gazumped,

thanks for your answer. 10 GB wow! Mine is now about 1 GB but I've always made it a habit to save disk space (or bandwidth) and keep files small if possible. I do not store photos in my database for that reason.

I just found out that I can sort notes for file size. That is handy to look at BIG files and possible candidates for text converting.

• Level 5*

Gazumped,

thanks for your answer. 10 GB wow! Mine is now about 1 GB but I've always made it a habit to save disk space (or bandwidth) and keep files small if possible. I do not store photos in my database for that reason.

I just found out that I can sort notes for file size. That is handy to look at BIG files and possible candidates for text converting.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. I have posted about this elsewhere, but I recommend converting large files into .txt, putting the text into Evernote, and putting the PDFs into something like Dropbox. This will keep your account small (mine is over 25GB now, and I wish it were smaller), and has lots of other little benefits. The process is easy if you are on a Mac, where you can use Automator to turn PDFs into text.

Hi Sanishh, I used to create pdf from word and convert pdf to word all the time. I've tried many ways.

Trust me, online converter services could ruin your email box (lots of spam message!)

I would recommend a desktop application pdf converter to you. it could convert pdf to 7 formats including word and text formats. What's better, it could convert 200 pdf files at one time. It may fit your need. But don't expect miracles, as it could preserve all the things well, not 100% perfect. However, it's the best one I have ever met so far.

• 5 months later...

Hello,

You can try to use a PDF to Word Converter tool,There are several software available for this task and Kernel for PDF to Word converter Tool is one of them .This proficient tool successfully extracts data from a portable document and saves in .doc or .docx file format.

• Level 5*

Hello,

You can try to use a PDF to Word Converter tool,There are several software available for this task and Kernel for PDF to Word converter Tool is one of them .This proficient tool successfully extracts data from a portable document and saves in .doc or .docx file format.

Thanks for the tip. If you are using a Mac, the Automator software in your computer will do this. I have done thousands of files at a time. I have written a little bit about my approach to PDFs in Evernote here:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/29245-how-to-optimize-your-evernote-experience/#entry173506

I should also note that many of the clients can now search the content of Word and Excel documents (I am not sure yet how many document types are supported, because the Evernote blog post has not been made yet).

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Microsoft Word can convert PDFs to word documents. All you do is use it to open a PDF and then it will ask you if you want it converted. So far I've been impressed by its ability to do this. 

However, this is not a batch procedure. 

• 5 months later...
Posted · Hidden by gazumped, November 2, 2015 - Spam
Hidden by gazumped, November 2, 2015 - Spam

Wondershare PDF to Word Converter provide high-quality conversion from PDF files to word documents (doc/rtf), images (JPG/PNG/BMP/TIF/GIF/PCX/TGA), HTML, or plain text files (txt) in batch mode, with all document texts, layouts, images and formatting ideally preserved. See more- http://www.mannatsoftware.com/wondershare-pdf-to-word-converter.html

Archived