Clipping PDF to evernote

FrankEmser

Hi all,

I have seen the question "How can I clip a PDF file to evernote" raised in the forum already several times,

but so far, there has not been a satisfying answer, but only astonishingly clumsy workarounds.

(for example:

http://discussion.ev...on-pdf-windows/

http://discussion.ev...m-web-answered/

http://discussion.ev...document-to-en/

)

Neither saving the pdf as a temporary file and then dragging&dropping it to evernote nor saving it to some import-directory & then importing it seems accebtable to me,

because in both cases, you will lose the original source path information which is a real deal-breaker.

Let's summarize it:

1.) Save pdf to a temporary file

2.) Start file explorer, Locate the temporary-folder and drag file to evernote [which means locating the evernote window (which might be buried behind the newly opened file explorer or the internet explorer showing the pdf) first]

3.) Switch back to internet explorer (find its window, which by now might be buried by evernote or the file explorer)

4.) Mark the url in the adress bar, Ctrl-C

5.) Switch back to evernote (which might be buried by the internet explorer again)

6.) Allocate the new note, locate the source-path-control.

7.) Ctrl-V

Why not instead offer one of those smart 1-click-solutions evernote is famous for?

Just a nice Option "Save Link (to pdf) to evernote" in the context menu and all is done?

Does not sound like too much effort to implement? Is it?

I would really like to see more ease of clipping from PDF to Evernote as well. In academic context, information sources are not going to be all coming from web pages alone. Digital journal articles come mostly in PDF formats.

May be Evernote should even begin to consider supporting clipping for content beyond websites.

• 2 weeks later...

I completely agree that Evernote badly needs to make PDF saving from the web more frictionless. As-is it requires way more clicks than it ought to.

A VERY simple approach would be to have the web clipper be capable of clipping a PDF which you are currently viewing within the browser into Evernote just like it can do with a webpage.

Currently if you try to clip a PDF being viewed from within Chrome you just get a copy of the URL in the note body and nothing more. Currently behavior is totally counter-intuitive.

Forgive me if my strategy has been covered already in a related thread that I missed:

I installed Nitro Reader on my PC, but don't even use it as my default reader. I just use it when I want to send a PDF to Evernote from the web or my desktop.

To send, I just right-click to "open in Nitro Reader" and from Nitro Reader I just have one more click to send it to Evernote. Then I can close the file without saving and it disappears from my PC forever.

However, I just checked, and don't see document source info in my Nitro/Evernote PDF grabs. Also, I can't find a way to tag or retitle the PDF for Evernote via Nitro, without going over to Evernote to do so. Sorry,

Art

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Those steps seem way more difficult than this task actually is.

1) Save pdf to desktop

2) Copy pdf URL

3) Drag pdf into Evernote

4) Double-click pdf in Evernote

5) Select "Click to set source url" and paste pdf URL into it

We are talking about a total of 4-6 seconds. Am I missing something here?

• 3 weeks later...

How I "Clip PDF Files on Web Directly to Evernote" (you know.... using those words mostly euphemistically, metaphorically, and, ok, maybe lying? ...)

So... "All You Have to Do Is..."

I am on WINDOWS. Your flavor may vary.

On my desktop (because I do all sorts of mess on my desktop) I made a folder called "EVERNOTE LOAD"

When I see a PDF on a website, I do a SAVE-AS to the EVERNOTE LOAD directory.

Meanwhile....

Back at the ranch....

In my Evernote Desktop Application under TOOLS - IMPORT FOLDERS...

I set it to monitor EVERNOTE LOAD

(((((( SPOILER ALERT ))))))

When anything lands in that folder, Evernote makes it.... a NOTE!

:) Ta-daa.

Also, yes, I would also like Evernote to make a "Clip this PDF that I clearly see right this second into a note kthxbye" button.

If we get to vote.

E

PS: This is making people who want to save the URL info tear their hair out and yell at me on the screen. I am using "80/20" mantras a lot.

PPS: ALTHOUGH.... since I am FILE-SAVE-ASing.... at that point I could put in a fancy URL with substitute characters for the illegal ones... and save the PDF with the URL name... THEN.... THEN, I TELL YOU.... Then it mightcould work for all. Copy/Paste URL before Save-As'ing. Paste and adjust file name as necessary...

PPPS: Note that I bold so most people don't have to read all the lunatic drivel. You have been post-warned.

• 1 month later...

On Mac using Chrome and Clip to Evernote extension:

1. Click link to PDF in Chrome

2. Hit Clip to Evernote

3. PDF saved in Evernote

4. Profit$

I am using a Windows machine for work and this is the work process

1. Click link to PDF in Chrome

2. Hit Clip to Evernote

3. PDF is not saved in Evernote

4. Save PDF to hard drive

5. Drag and drop PDF to Evernote

See the difference?

when it comes to PDFs, Evernote for Mac works perfectly while Evernote for Windows leaves much to be desire. Is that an intended design?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Until we get a PDF web clipper:  

I use Evernote Premium and FreeMind MindMaps for all my notes, organizing, etc.

I save all my FreeMind MindMaps in Evernote as PDFs by opening FreeMind to the MindMap I want to save and go = File>Export>asPDF> Dialog Box to Save (switch on the Icon to Desktop)and save on Desktop.

Then from Desktop I just drag saved PDF icon into the open Evernote page and it copies as a new note.  Voila!!!!

Hope this helps, until........

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Importing a pdf into evernote doesn't work, because it just creates a link to the file.

What we want is to copy the CONTENT of the pdf into a note.

is there an estimate of when this feature will be available ?

As a premium evernote user, it is very needed.

thanks

• 1 month later...

How I "Clip PDF Files on Web Directly to Evernote" (you know.... using those words mostly euphemistically, metaphorically, and, ok, maybe lying? ...)

On my desktop (because I do all sorts of mess on my desktop) I made a folder called "EVERNOTE LOAD"

Meanwhile....

Back at the ranch....

Also, yes, I would also like Evernote to make a "Clip this PDF that I clearly see right this second into a note kthxbye" button.

If we get to vote.

E

PS: This is making people who want to save the URL info tear their hair out and yell at me on the screen. I am using "80/20" mantras a lot.

PPS: ALTHOUGH.... since I am FILE-SAVE-ASing.... at that point I could put in a fancy URL with substitute characters for the illegal ones... and save the PDF with the URL name... THEN.... THEN, I TELL YOU.... Then it mightcould work for all. Copy/Paste URL before Save-As'ing. Paste and adjust file name as necessary...

PPPS: Note that I bold so most people don't have to read all the lunatic drivel. You have been post-warned.

GENIUS, I was saving to Dropbox anyway but then creating a new note and attaching.  Now its all done in less effort, all I have to do is tag new note.  THANKYOU, you just restored my faith in EN.

That import folder sync thingy is so useful, but not widely known about?

• 3 weeks later...

Meanwhile....

Back at the ranch....

If we get to vote.

E

GENIUS, I was saving to Dropbox anyway but then creating a new note and attaching.  Now its all done in less effort, all I have to do is tag new note.  THANKYOU, you just restored my faith in EN.

That import folder sync thingy is so useful, but not widely known about?

Worked for me.  Set up a LOAD folder for each of my Notebooks so I don't have to bother changing the Notebook designation.

Q - I assume it is OK to delete things from teh LOAD folder periodically to save space b/c it is already in Evernote, right?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I've found a more direct solution (I'm using Firefox on PC).

No need for temporary files, import folders, etc.

Here's how to do it:

1. Click download/save for the PDF you're viewing in Firefox.
  2. Firefox download dialog pops-up (you may need to set this in Firefox options):
  3. Check the 'Open with' option and in the drop-down select 'Other...'.
  4. Choose Evernote (if you need to find it on your PC it'll be something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\Evernote.exe).
  5. Click OK in the Firefox download dialog.
  6. Evernote will import the full PDF file.
  • 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...

It is now more than 3 yrs since the first longing/suggestion for 1 simple click (e.g. via context menu) pdf clipping appeared on this thread.  Just to avoid misunderstanding, what I mean is clipping the pdf file - from within that file-  into evernote. Is that now possible in evernote or still not yet ? 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, reason063 said:

i do not see the evernote icon in my pdf environment, i.e. in Adobe Acrobat Reader

This discussion was posted in the web clipper forum, and relates to viewing pdfs in a browser.

If I was reading a pdf in Adobe Acrobat Reader,
I could chose to save it into my Evernote import folder.
I could also use Evernote Helper to clip from it;
or select text and copy/paste into a note.

rubenb, what pdf viewer are you using that has the EN link in it?  I also do not see this in Adobe Reader.  I'm currently using Save As, and then into my import folder, which is simple enough but a direct button would be even nicer.

• Level 5*
56 minutes ago, sophieschoice said:

He is viewing a PDF in Safari, a browser on Mac.

I was confused because it looked like the Adobe Reader menu/tool bar

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived