HELP! Images are disappearing from my notes

Starting right now, images are starting to disappear from my notes, even old ones from earlier this year and I can't stop it.

It appears to be something on my iPad. Every time I touch a note on the iPad that contains only an image, it disappears on the iPad and everywhere else after sync.

This is a showstopper - I use Evernote very heavily for critical information on Mac, iPhone and iPad. If I lose these (and/or more) images and their organization inside my Evernote account, I will leave and never come back.

OK, a bit more information, and less panic.

The problem appears to have come up after the following:

1 - marked about 30 notes on Mac client with a new tag

2 - on iPad (unknown sync state at this point) opened a note from May from this group of retagged notes

3 - the image contained in the note and shown on the thumbnail was gone and the note was marked as updated

4 - when I didn't see the image in the note I had opened, I opened 3 other notes that contained images (also shown in the thumbnails)

5 - went back to Mac client and watched as these 4 notes moved up to the top of the most recently updated list (WITH THE IMAGES THEY USED TO CONTAIN MISSING)

6 - wrote first post above

7 - tried to contact Evernote support chat - only open during US office hours (I am in Germany)

8 - sent email to Evernote support

9 - Continued to check if images were disappearing. It appears to have stopped, so I have only lost 4 images

10 - started writing this post

My oldest note is from Jan, 2008, so I guess I have been using Evernote for about 4 1/2 years. I have a premium account.

I rearrange and move things around a lot in Evernote, and over the past year have come to trust it implicitly. My main source of panic when this started happening was that I didn't know if it was going to stop. It appears to have stopped and appears to be related to my changing the tags, and some sync weirdness between my Mac client and iPad client. I use off-line storage for all my notes on iPhone and iPad. There was a problem with this last year I think, but it has been very reliable since then.

This does not mean there is no crisis. The crisis is now that I don't know if I can trust Evernote anymore.

Unfortunately, trusting Evernote has become an integral part of my business and personal life.

Thanks for the tip, DW, but unfortunately the notes that lost images don't show any history from before it happened. The affected notes were from May of this year, and history doesn't show anything before just after the time today when the changes were "magically" made on my iPad.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi - I am having the "lost images" problem but only when I use Evernote  in its web-based version.  When I use Evernote on my Android phone and the PC based version everything is fine, but as soon as I use the web version images disappear and I cannot find anyway to retrieve them.  Fortunately this does not have any serious consequences in my case apart from being very very annoying.

There does not appear to be any link on the web version of Evernote to copy an Activity Log.

I use Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 11 64-bit version.

I do not intend to waste time searching for an explanation or solution - rather I will advise friends and colleagues to avoid or at least be very wary of Evernote which, I am disappointed to say, is not all that it is cracked up to be.

Gerry

Clearly this is an issue the folk at Evernote take very seriously given the overwhelming contributions from Customer Support staff.  Very disappointing.

This is a user's board - not a support venue.  Evernote staff post occasionally here, as time permits.  If you wish to dialog directly with EN staff on this (or any) issue, please submit a support ticket.

Clearly this is an issue the folk at Evernote take very seriously given the overwhelming contributions from Customer Support staff.  Very disappointing.

This is a user's board - not a support venue.  Evernote staff post occasionally here, as time permits.  If you wish to dialog directly with EN staff on this (or any) issue, please submit a support ticket.

When there is a core product defect it shouldn't matter to a company what channel is used to provide the feedback - particularly if it is a public forum, they can be seen to be a proactive brand - which is the brush EverNote are painting in the tech media.

Or they can choose to ignore valid feedback from customer's looking for more responsive reliable solutions.

I still feel particularly wed to EN currently - but like the last 20 years has taught us, it doesn't take long for a new upstart company to demonstrate their credentials as more responsive to user needs and for everybody to switch over.

Archived