Open note to new tab rather than new window

myIDea

Idea

29 replies to this idea

So here is some sort of workaround that I did.

Software used: WindowsTab.

Hope it helps!

This is a nice workaround indeed. What this app actually does is that, per app on you PC, you can have 3 windows open, which you can then merge into 1 with 3 tabs shown at the top, which makes switching easy. But there are always 3 instances (= windows) of the app open - check your task manager.

I mention 3 because that is the maximum number of tabs for the free version of WindowTabs.

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, AllThatEvil said:

Would be great if windows users would get the same focus as the most likely not larger Apple user base..

I think that you'll find that Windows gets some features earlier than Mac, and vice-versa. No favoritism that I can discern.

For those searching for how to use the TABS function in Evernote - you CAN do this... simply open up multiple windows ( "File" then "New Window") and then merge those open windows (on Apple menu bar "Windows" then "Merge All Windows").  It appears that you cannot simply click on the + (plus) symbol - perhaps Evernote will implement that eventually - but you can have multiple tabs open with this simple approach.

You are right. It's like a container for the opened windows. But then it does makes navigation between windows a lot better. No more sifting through the windows to find the opened note.

Unfortunately, when you fire it up the PC after a shutdown, you need to reset all the tabs, and that is a bit of a pain in the neck.

I guess another workaround? That is, put a frequently used notes links to another note, and then Shift + Left Click to open it in new window. Yeah, it's getting more and more clunky but I guess that's all we can do for now. 

You are right. It's like a container for the opened windows. But then it does makes navigation between windows a lot better. No more sifting through the windows to find the opened note.

Unfortunately, when you fire it up the PC after a shutdown, you need to reset all the tabs, and that is a bit of a pain in the neck.

So here is some sort of workaround that I did.

Software used: WindowsTab.

Hope it helps!

This is a nice workaround indeed. What this app actually does is that, per app on you PC, you can have 3 windows open, which you can then merge into 1 with 3 tabs shown at the top, which makes switching easy. But there are always 3 instances (= windows) of the app open - check your task manager.

I mention 3 because that is the maximum number of tabs for the free version of WindowTabs.

A better solution I think is for the snippet view to be collapsable/expandable, so you don't have to open notes independently at all... Rather just browse your notes with normal search functions... and be able to have an expanded view when working with less screen real estate...

That said Tabs are much better than scattered random windows everywhere. Overall its a good idea.

• Level 5*

@maomaohuhu:  I agree!  Having Notes in tabs on the main Evernote window would be awesome, just like it is in ALL Browsers today.  UI Designers learned long ago that it is much easier for the user to manage multiple web pages in Tabs rather than in separate Windows.

IMHO it's related.

This thread is not about oneNote-style tabs within notebooks. It's about opening a note to a new tab instead of a new window. It's about browsing between notes.

Maybe I am missing something but I am surprised there isn't more activity on this. it's one of the most useful features of browsers. I understand evernote has a sidebar with filters, but it can become very crowded.

How does everyone do when switching between notes if you want to keep some recently-opened notes accessible ?

Show me one browser that does not have tabbed browsing available these days.  Yes you can open multiple windows, but that's not the same.  +1 for a tabbed interface.

It seems to me that tabbed browsing and a tabbed interface within the Evernote app are two completely different things. I'm not sure how one is related to the other. Perhaps I missed something?

IMHO it's related.

This thread is not about oneNote-style tabs within notebooks. It's about opening a note to a new tab instead of a new window. It's about browsing between notes.

Maybe I am missing something but I am surprised there isn't more activity on this. it's one of the most useful features of browsers. I understand evernote has a sidebar with filters, but it can become very crowded.

How does everyone do when switching between notes if you want to keep some recently-opened notes accessible ?

Show me one browser that does not have tabbed browsing available these days.  Yes you can open multiple windows, but that's not the same.  +1 for a tabbed interface.

It seems to me that tabbed browsing and a tabbed interface within the Evernote app are two completely different things. I'm not sure how one is related to the other. Perhaps I missed something?

Frequently, I'm in the middle of working on something in Evernote and I have to go somewhere else. Wouldn't it be nice if I could just open a new tab, a new session, a new something to perform that other task. Then I wouldn't lose my carefully constructed place.

How bout it, Oh Evernote Diety?

[P.S. I didn't find any other requests for this which I thought was pretty amazing. All the "tab" posts seem to be about using the Tab key.]

• Level 5*

A tabbed interface is the only reason I haven't quite been able to switch entirely to Evernote for my day-to-day. I have dual screens with all the real estate dedicated to various windows. I need to quickly access multiple notes, and my current solution (Notepad++) has tab functionality to preserve space.

I just open notes that I want to persist in external windows. Not quite the same, but it's useful for me.

A tabbed interface is the only reason I haven't quite been able to switch entirely to Evernote for my day-to-day. I have dual screens with all the real estate dedicated to various windows. I need to quickly access multiple notes, and my current solution (Notepad++) has tab functionality to preserve space.

That said, even with Evernote not having this functionality, it's still easy to be an Evernote evangelist. 

Evernote does not have tabs.

Indeed it doesn't.  But it would be cool if it did.  Thunderbird for example added the option to open emails in tabs a few years ago, and it was fantastic for organization (although I've since switched to gmail, but that's beside the point...)

If the Evernote desktop clients included the option to open notes in tabs rather than new windows (as well as viewing them in the preview pane as now), I personally would find it very handy.  That said, I'm sure there are other, higher priority things to work on.

Archived