(Archived) evernote notebooks

• Level 5*

Depending on your Evernote client - pad, mobile, desktop etc - you should be able to select menu options to change the order of notes by subject, creation date, updated date, and tag. What exactly did you have in mind?

As Gazumped said, depending upon the client you are using, (which you have yet to mention), you can select the order of the notes. If you are sorting them alphabetically by title, you will have to preface the title with something like 0010. There is no way to manually order notes in Evernote. You may find this thread helpful. The thread is about tags but would apply to note titles, too.

• Level 5*

Evernote doesn't really do specific note ordering; it's all done via ordering on attributes (created date, updated date, title, tag, etc.). Truthfully, Evernote is not really much of a presentation program; but if you really, really think that you need to do all of this in Evernote, you can fudge the titles of the notes you are dealing with so that they appear in the order that you prefer, then order by title.

Thanks for your input everyone. I realize that Evernote is not really a presentation software, but i'm experimenting with its capabilities. My presentation is a lot of pictures and being able to synch to my Nook makes it real easy to transport it. I'll try the ordered title method.

A couple of ideas from an Evernote novice:

1) The "Created" and "Updated" fields are not just dates, they are timestamps. So even though your notes were created on the same date, if they were created at different times then you should be able to sort them in time order.

2) Do you need the items in separate notes? You could merge the notes together, and select the order of the merge, so everything is in one big note, in the correct order.

• Level 5*
Do you need the items in separate notes? You could merge the notes together, and select the order of the merge, so everything is in one big note, in the correct order.
My presentation is a lot of pictures

..bearing in mind that there is a limit to the overall size of one note, and too many pictures could quickly break it.

• 5 months later...
  • Level 5*

If you look under the 'sort' tab in list view you will see all the fields that can be manipulated to affect order.  If you don't use 'Author' for anything else forinstance,  you could try putting 001,  002 etc in there to order the notes..  there are other options.

If you look under the 'sort' tab in list view you will see all the fields that can be manipulated to affect order.  If you don't use 'Author' for anything else forinstance,  you could try putting 001,  002 etc in there to order the notes..  there are other options.

I had never thought of that option. Too bad it won't stay in that order when I share it.

• Level 5*

I had never thought of that option. Too bad it won't stay in that order when I share it.

Hi. There is a hidden logic to the notebook sharing. We used to be able to set the initial type of sort for a shared notebook, but we lost that option, and now it defaults to sort by date created. If you adjust all of the created dates in a notebook, then you can be sure that the recipient of a shared notebook sees the notes in the order you intended.

Archived