(Archived) Sync failed from ipad to mac

Hi,

Fair warning, I am new to all things forum related I usually manage to ride on the tailcoat of someone else!

Today I wrote a whole bunch of notes on my ipad. They all synced through to my computer fine except for one. The only way i can think this one note may be different to the others is that the part that hasn't synced to the computer was written while i had no internet connection.

When I had both the ipad and the mac in front of me everything except that note had synced. So I had a full note on the ipad and a basically empty note on the mac. I pressed the sync button and rather than taking the information from the ipad and putting it on the mac, it updated the ipad with the version that was on the mac, which was just a title. Like everyone who posts about the loss of work, it did take a long time so I was wondering if there is anyway I can get the work back? Do I always have to be connected to the internet when writing notes and what are the best ways of avoiding this in the future?

Any information would be a god send and greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

• Level 5*

Hi,

Fair warning, I am new to all things forum related I usually manage to ride on the tailcoat of someone else!

Today I wrote a whole bunch of notes on my ipad. They all synced through to my computer fine except for one. The only way i can think this one note may be different to the others is that the part that hasn't synced to the computer was written while i had no internet connection.

When I had both the ipad and the mac in front of me everything except that note had synced. So I had a full note on the ipad and a basically empty note on the mac. I pressed the sync button and rather than taking the information from the ipad and putting it on the mac, it updated the ipad with the version that was on the mac, which was just a title. Like everyone who posts about the loss of work, it did take a long time so I was wondering if there is anyway I can get the work back? Do I always have to be connected to the internet when writing notes and what are the best ways of avoiding this in the future?

Any information would be a god send and greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Hi. Welcome to the forums. In the case of suspected data loss, I always recommend contacting customer support (see the link in my signature) so that they can take care of it, because they possess the tools and the experience to do the best job with it. They also take this kind of thing very seriously. If you contact them, please post your ticket number here and keep us updated on the progress of your case.

More generally speaking, the iPad doesn't sync to the Mac. The iPad syncs to the Evernote servers, and when you press the sync button on the Mac, it goes to the servers and looks for the note. If you ever come across a situation like this in the future, the best thing to do is stop syncing, go to the web client (www.evernote.com) and check out your account there. Whatever is on the Web version is what is on the servers. Then, you can figure out which way to sync. We have note histories (accessible if you are a premium member) so your data may not yet be lost. Customer service is the best place to go for this. Good luck!

Archived