(Archived) Tip / Bug Report: UTF-16 and UTF-8 Encoding for Text Files

• Level 5*

I don't know if this is a bug, or a feature, but Evernote will treat text files with UTF-16 encoding differently than ones with UTF-8 encoding. It isn't a big deal, because we can easily convert the files, but the problem is that this bug/feature is not documented anywhere (as far as I know), and a user without a full-featured text editor (that shows the encoding) might be confused as to why one text file works fine, and another doesn't.

If, for example, you drag a UTF-8 encoded text file into Evernote, the text will appear as a regular note. If you drag a UTF-16 encoded text file into it, the file will appear as an attachment. What this means for people using non-English language texts (Japanese, Chinese, etc.) is that you need to be careful to check the encodings first. You can easily do this with an application like BBEdit (Mac).

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

I am using findNoteStore api to search for a note which is in chinese as '中國的' . But i am getting null result . Can you plz tel me why is it so ? Though i am using 'utf-8' encoding .

Hi. This is an unrelated issue. Please see the developer forums. I moved your other thread there.

Archived