(Archived) Database copy Mac > Ipad > Win XP > Win 7

LocalSystem

Idea

9 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hello,

Is it possible to copy the database from a mac to a Ipad, or a Win XP mini laptop or a Win 7 Laptop all with the same account??

Thanks

Hi. If you mean that you would like to go into your computer, copy the Evernote folder in your database files, and paste it into your iPad, I imagine this is possible (providing you can find an app to stick it into), but nothing would run from the iPad. You would just be carrying it around, exactly as if you had copied it onto a flash drive. The same thing is basically true of the others.

I assume, though, that you mean you would like to have a single account for Evernote that works on any machine, so that if you have it on you iPad and make a note, you can open and edit that note on your Windows machine at work, your Blackberry work phone, your XP laptop, etc. If so, then you are in luck. This is precisely what Evernote is made to do :)

I use five of the Evernote clients with my account: the Web, OSX (Mac), Windows, Android, and iOS (iPad and iPhone). I made a note last night before bed on my iPhone, and when I woke up this morning, I began editing it on my Mac, and this afternoon when I go out I will use my iPad to continue editing it. There are certain idiosyncrasies with each platform that you will want to familiarize yourself with in order to get the most out of any workflow. For example, there are no stacks on the iPad and Android can only append to, not modify the content of a note with images in it.

Is it possible to copy the database from a mac to a Ipad, or a Win XP mini laptop or a Win 7 Laptop all with the same account??

Since the file systems of each OS are different, no. As GM said, you'd need to install the apps on each computer & sync from one device to another via the EN servers/cloud.

Hello,

Thanks

Hi. If you mean that you would like to go into your computer, copy the Evernote folder in your database files, and paste it into your iPad, I imagine this is possible (providing you can find an app to stick it into), but nothing would run from the iPad. You would just be carrying it around, exactly as if you had copied it onto a flash drive. The same thing is basically true of the others.

I assume, though, that you mean you would like to have a single account for Evernote that works on any machine, so that if you have it on you iPad and make a note, you can open and edit that note on your Windows machine at work, your Blackberry work phone, your XP laptop, etc. If so, then you are in luck. This is precisely what Evernote is made to do :)

I use five of the Evernote clients with my account: the Web, OSX (Mac), Windows, Android, and iOS (iPad and iPhone). I made a note last night before bed on my iPhone, and when I woke up this morning, I began editing it on my Mac, and this afternoon when I go out I will use my iPad to continue editing it. There are certain idiosyncrasies with each platform that you will want to familiarize yourself with in order to get the most out of any workflow. For example, there are no stacks on the iPad and Android can only append to, not modify the content of a note with images in it.

I know it is possible with sync on every client, but i have a free account and think that when I install a new client on my Iphone, or android my use is running fast backwards.

Since the file systems of each OS are different, no. As GM said, you'd need to install the apps on each computer & sync from one device to another via the EN servers/cloud.

Is that then from my amount of Mb' s ??

• Level 5*

Hello,

Thanks

I know it is possible with sync on every client, but i have a free account and think that when I install a new client on my Iphone, or android my use is running fast backwards.

Hi. I am not sure what you mean by "fast backwards", but I assume you mean that the more clients (Android, iPhone, Windows, etc.) that you install, the more your upload allowance gets used. I can assure you that this is most definitely not the case (for free or Premium users).

You could install your Evernote account on a thousand different computers and your usage would remain exactly the same. Evernote only counts the data you upload. If you make one note on one client, it only counts as one note, even if you download (sync) the note to every one of those computers.

Hi. I am not sure what you mean by "fast backwards", but I assume you mean that the more clients (Android, iPhone, Windows, etc.) that you install, the more your upload allowance gets used. I can assure you that this is most definitely not the case (for free or Premium users).

You could install your Evernote account on a thousand different computers and your usage would remain exactly the same. Evernote only counts the data you upload. If you make one note on one client, it only counts as one note, even if you download (sync) the note to every one of those computers.

I have now 60Mb every month, with 5 clients I can upload 60 Mb total and download 5 x 60 Mb Is that correct ?

• Level 5*

I have now 60Mb every month, with 5 clients I can upload 60 Mb total and download 5 x 60 Mb Is that correct ?

Yes. Even better is this: storage is cumulative.

As a Premium member, I have an upload allowance of 1GB per month, but I have 13Gb + in my Evernote account right now. With 5 clients I could download 65 GB (5x13) or more if I wanted to every week, and it wouldn't affect my upload allowance one bit. The only thing Evernote calculates is how much you upload each month.

As a Premium member, I have an upload allowance of 1GB per month, but I have 13Gb + in my Evernote account right now. With 5 clients I could download 65 GB (5x13) or more if I wanted to every week, and it wouldn't affect my upload allowance one bit. The only thing Evernote calculates is how much you upload each month.

Oke, thanks for the info

• Level 5*

Oke, thanks for the info

You're welcome. Glad I could help. Good luck with your external brain!

Archived