Request: Search within note

monsieurms

Idea

74 replies to this idea

15 minutes ago, Rpfc said:

Yes it has been added, but like I said it has been added to the latest Beta (7.9.4.beta1). So not publicly released yet, probably within a few weeks. It should be there then. Unless you can't wait, then you'll need to sign up for the beta program...

Well, it's been a long wait, but from what PC Magazine described as Evernote's new user polices, pricing and restrictions, I doubt I'll be around much any more anyway when my current plan expires. ;)

在 2016/8/1 在 PM9點29分, Rpfc說:

Yes it has been added, but like I said it has been added to the latest Beta (7.9.4.beta1). So not publicly released yet, probably within a few weeks. It should be there then. Unless you can't wait, then you'll need to sign up for the beta program...

Yes, I can't wait~ I just joined the beta program, and updated to 7.9.4.beta1. 

The new feature - search in a note- is truly the feature I dream for a long time.

Try to use this new feature and other new features now~~~

在 2016/7/29 在 AM10點34分, Rpfc說:

Well, this has been added (in the latest beta). Very useful feature and although late, very positive. Seems to work really well, albeit only for written text. Doesnt seem to work for pictures, pdfs, etc...

Really? It's already released? 

But it's really a GOOD NEWS!!! :D Many users look forward this feature for a long time.

Although my Android Evernote still CAN'T FIND THIS FEATURE.(My Version is 7.9.3)

在 2012/9/1 在 PM7點23分, spg SCOTT說:

Hi monsieurms,

As far as I am aware, this feature is not currently available right now. No news on whether it will be or not in the future.

Scott

It's 2016 now, but the feature is still NOT available.

2012. OK...4 years passed. 

I'm still looking forward this feature, and really wait for a LONG LONG LONG TIME.(CRY) 

Still HOPE this feature 一 "Search within note" 一 could come soon.

Swipe a note for a long(always a long note), but still can't find the specific information I truly want IS REALLY ANNOYING.

Please make the feature 一 "Search within note" 一 happen!!!

Well, this has been added (in the latest beta). Very useful feature and although late, very positive. Seems to work really well, albeit only for written text. Doesnt seem to work for pictures, pdfs, etc...

Esta função de localizar palavras dentro de um texto realmente faz falta para dispositivos Android.

É uma pena que a Evernote demore tanto tempo para resolver coisas tão básicas :(

==========================================================================

This function to find words within a text really does lack for Android devices.

It's a shame that Evernote takes so long to solve things as basic :(

On 6/15/2016 at 8:18 PM, gazumped said:

Two months.  To redesign / change an app that has a few (several?) thousand lines of code.  That's kinda short notice.  Given that Evernote probably schedules their work a year or two in advance,  and will have a l-o-n-g lead time for new features - see comments on other threads about thousands of ongoing feature requests - I'd think a year or so is probably a pretty quick response. 

If an app does what you need,  that's great.  If it does a lot,  but could do better - by all means suggest a new feature.  If it doesn't do what you need - go somewhere else.  The app isn't going to add any new feature quickly enough to make a difference to individual workflows.

This is moot, given the dipshittery that is Evernote's latest blunder, but I'll explain myself: 

Matt had two months to investigate and report back to the forum about what was going on. I didn't ask for a bug fix. I asked for a progress report. 

• Level 5*
On 14/06/2016 at 10:22 PM, Coach Wade said:

It's been almost two months. If there was any forward progress on this, you should have reported it long before now, Matt.

Two months.  To redesign / change an app that has a few (several?) thousand lines of code.  That's kinda short notice.  Given that Evernote probably schedules their work a year or two in advance,  and will have a l-o-n-g lead time for new features - see comments on other threads about thousands of ongoing feature requests - I'd think a year or so is probably a pretty quick response. 

If an app does what you need,  that's great.  If it does a lot,  but could do better - by all means suggest a new feature.  If it doesn't do what you need - go somewhere else.  The app isn't going to add any new feature quickly enough to make a difference to individual workflows.

On 12/14/2015 at 4:33 PM, scruggles said:

Hi folks!

Sorry this thread hasn't been addressed properly - sometimes requests fall through the cracks, so thank you for bringing this to the top of the threadlist.

We have a (large) number of feature requests in our backlog, but this is something we're considering working on. Can any of your provide some use cases for the search in note feature? How often would you use this feature? Do you use this feature on other platforms? What is the workflow you do that requires search in note (specifically, what would you do after you had a successful search)? Answers to these questions will help us better understand and prioritize the feature request.

Thanks for giving us the feedback, and keep the requests coming! It helps us make our products better.

-Karen

The fact that you even asked this series of questions demonstrates convincingly that you are not serious about adding the feature or listening to the users. 

Let me answer you: 

We. Want. To. Search. Within. A. Note. Because. It. Is. A. Major. Function. Of. Text. Editing.

To be blunt, no, most of us users don't really accept that "sometimes requests fall through the cracks." This is your own friggin' forum! You've got developers wasting time for years on a chat feature no one uses, and yet you ignore one of the basic functions of document editing!

It's kind of clear that Evernote actively works at ignoring user requests. 

On 4/18/2016 at 4:32 PM, Matt W. said:

Hello all,

I noticed it has been a while since one of us posted on this. I will follow up to see if there is any new information on this and get back with you on an update.

It's been almost two months. If there was any forward progress on this, you should have reported it long before now, Matt.

On 4/19/2016 at 4:32 AM, Matt W. said:

Hello all,

I noticed it has been a while since one of us posted on this. I will follow up to see if there is any new information on this and get back with you on an update.

Yes, please. I, too, just switched from iOS to Android and could not believe that this feature does not exist on Android. Given all the notes I have stored, this is a very, very important feature and definitely a deal breaker. 

What this still hasn't been looked at?  Obvious, obvious, obvious feature that should be there.  Evernote apps for other platforms have it.  Why not Android?!

Note to Evernote staff... the reason you're not seeing thousands of people crying out for this feature is because people can work around not having it, albeit with a little frustration, or a lot depending on how long the note is that they are searching for text in.  Why should millions of Android users have to put up with this when the app on all other platforms don't cause this frustration? 

Case use of search within a note. . . I search a note with all of my passwords and copy-and-paste to other apps, I search notes about my case logs at work and search for PC Names to cut-and-paste into other apps. That is my general useage for search within a Note. I am so sad that iPhone evernote had it, but Android Evernote does not! Do I have to switch back to an iPhone to get it again?

• Level 5*

@Rai Could be I'm wrong,  but there seems to be a 'glass half empty' vibe here.  You do have a point I agree - it would considerably speed up searches to have that option;  but you might have to start a new feedback thread and get some votes on it to get the devs interested in changing something they just (theoretically) put to bed...

• Level 5
On 8/28/2016 at 10:58 PM, Rai said:

The update has finally been pushed through to me and I've found the feature has only been half-way implemented.  After all this why haven't you integrated the search within note feature with the general note search!?!

Here's the workflow required to use the new feature if I'm looking for a note, any note, that contains some text, "searchtext":

1. Open the All Notes search
  2. Enter searchhtext
  3. All notes with searchtext are returned
  4. Open one of the notes from the search results
  5. Select "Search in note" from menu in top right
  6. RE-ENTER searchtext to locate text within note

Why are we having to re-enter the text we just searched for?  Why not just automatically open "Search in note" and take me to the first occurrence of searchtext in whatever note I open from the search results in step 3?  Grrr.

... I know, first world problems... but hey if you're working on this anyway why not implement it in a way that makes sense?

Well, this thread has degraded into the usual ranting and raving. What no one seems to have noted is that the above description is not necessarily accurate. Not for me, at any rate, on Android v. 7.9.4. Here is the process I observe:

2. Enter search text
  3. All notes with search text are returned
  5. Scroll down in the note, if necessary, until I find the highlighted search text (which appears even within note text that is itself highlighted)

Below are two screenshots, taken after searching in my notes for "possible." The first shows an entire short note, with some highlighting in the note itself. The second (originally taken from a post in a forum here by @gazumped), shows the result found by scrolling down in a note. @Rai, what version of the app do you have, and what Android version and device? Does this not work for you?

Picture.png

Picture.png

Thanks for the clarification. That said, it doesn't make a difference about the finer points of their pay for use programs. I don't necessarily hold it against them for that, and in turn, I'm sure they don't hold it against me for not wanting to play in that sandbox. In truth, I would have considered paying, had it not been for the "deer in the headlights" reaction to searching within a note... (shrug)

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, YrbkMgr said:

So, now that Evernote have put me on a clock to upgrade to premium or lose all my access for all but two devices, I have finally and successfully converted everything to Microsoft OneNote. I'm golden.

Couple of minor corrections: you could also have upgraded to Plus, a cheaper alternative to Premium. Also, the access to two devices is actually "two simultaneously signed in devices", which is different (the web service, for what it's worth, doesn't count as a device either). Don't know whether it makes a difference in your case however...

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Rai said:

They have an iPhone bias.  This feature has been on there for years.... but yeah this makes it look like the iPhone team don't talk to the Android team much.

iPhone users tend to complain about Android features too.  Greener grass and stuff like that.  iOS forinstance just got the new editor that we've had for a while...

8 hours ago, YrbkMgr said:

The fact that the Evernote team even ASKED why this would be a useful feature tells me that they are clueless. Yes, this program has a lot of features and for a while, was a pretty cool idea. I'll give it to the program managers not to have considered "search within a page" for the first few iterations. But for the love of all things holy, once it was pointed out, a light bulb should have gone off and they should have slapped their foreheads at what an oversight this was.

You can search within Excel, PDF's, etc... why in the SAM HELL would this be such a strange feature to the programming team and the product manager???? Hey, hard to implement? Okay, you get a break for programming challenges; but to ask why this would be useful is like saying why use rubber tires on a car.

Anyone who does that "half full" *****, get over it - we are 16 years into the new millennium. WordStar (a word processor application that had a dominant market share during the early- to mid-1980s) had a "find within page" feature - hell, even in DOS you could search within the content of files.

So, now that Evernote have put me on a clock to upgrade to premium or lose all my access for all but two devices, I have finally and successfully converted everything to Microsoft OneNote. I'm golden.

Oh and to that super user who haunts the forums and tells me that these bugs are "part of the rich tapestry of life", I hope you can focus on the mistletoe hanging from my back pocket as I leave...

Not sure why you think the 'Evernote Team' asked why this would be a useful feature,  unless you mean my post when I was talking about the 'search in note' box defaulting to the last used search term.

Surely it can't have been to do with the existence of the search in note feature which I already said is coming in the next release (so I think the developers do appreciate the need for it) - or you could join the beta team and get it now...

They have an iPhone bias.  This feature has been on there for years.... but yeah this makes it look like the iPhone team don't talk to the Android team much.

5 hours ago, YrbkMgr said:

The fact that the Evernote team even ASKED why this would be a useful feature tells me that they are clueless. Yes, this program has a lot of features and for a while, was a pretty cool idea. I'll give it to the program managers not to have considered "search within a page" for the first few iterations. But for the love of all things holy, once it was pointed out, a light bulb should have gone off and they should have slapped their foreheads at what an oversight this was.

You can search within Excel, PDF's, etc... why in the SAM HELL would this be such a strange feature to the programming team and the product manager???? Hey, hard to implement? Okay, you get a break for programming challenges; but to ask why this would be useful is like saying why use rubber tires on a car.

Anyone who does that "half full" *****, get over it - we are 16 years into the new millennium. WordStar (a word processor application that had a dominant market share during the early- to mid-1980s) had a "find within page" feature - hell, even in DOS you could search within the content of files.

Oh and to that super user who haunts the forums and tells me that these bugs are "part of the rich tapestry of life", I hope you can focus on the mistletoe hanging from my back pocket as I leave...

WWSD (what would Steve do)?  If Evernote was an Apple product Steve Jobs would never have let this implementation pass.  It's just dumb.

Yes I am focusing on the empty half of the glass here.  This search within note feature should have been part of the first ever release of Evernote... and now they give us this half baked implementation.  Does the iPhone version of search within note (which I believe was baked in from the start)  work the same way?

On 29/08/2016 at 9:09 PM, gazumped said:

@Rai Could be I'm wrong,  but there seems to be a 'glass half empty' vibe here.  You do have a point I agree - it would considerably speed up searches to have that option;  but you might have to start a new feedback thread and get some votes on it to get the devs interested in changing something they just (theoretically) put to bed...

Yea i second that. It's the best way to speed up searches.

On 8/29/2016 at 1:09 PM, gazumped said:

@Rai Could be I'm wrong,  but there seems to be a 'glass half empty' vibe here.  You do have a point I agree - it would considerably speed up searches to have that option;  but you might have to start a new phen375 http://ohdivinehealth.com/phen375-reviews/ feedback thread and get some votes on it to get the devs interested in changing something they just (theoretically) put to bed...

The update has finally been pushed through to me and I've found the feature has only been half-way implemented.  After all this why haven't you integrated the search within note feature with the general note search!?!

Here's the workflow required to use the new feature if I'm looking for a note, any note, that contains some text, "searchtext":

2. Enter searchhtext
  3. All notes with searchtext are returned
  5. Select "Search in note" from menu in top right
  6. RE-ENTER searchtext to locate text within note

Why are we having to re-enter the text we just searched for?  Why not just automatically open "Search in note" and take me to the first occurrence of searchtext in whatever note I open from the search results in step 3?  Grrr.

... I know, first world problems... but hey if you're working on this anyway why not implement it in a way that makes sense?

comp021.gif

On 9/1/2012 at 5:20 AM, monsieurms said:

Hi--some time back I complained about a lack of a search-within-note feature. I'm very happy to see that the Desktop app has adopted this for awhile.

But unless I'm missing something, is it so that it is not available still on the Android app?

I think the reason why some apps are not yet available on android is because they need to make sure that the application will work well and if there is issues, the app is still very useful to use by consumers. I mean no regrets when downloading a specific app.

17 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Please see posts above - I can verify this has been added in the latest beta,  which means it'll be out soon on public release.

Edit:  actually - check in the 'three dots' menu above a note;  I'm not sure when search within a note popped up there...

Gazumped, I checked my updates and sure enough there was Evernote waiting in the queue. Lucky timing for me I joined just as this was added.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, ReidGould said:

In my trial month here. I've never used an application containing editable text that did not have a find feature. I don't know what decision making process led to "Nah, organized people don't really use search that much." But it doesn't really give me confidence that this is an application I'm in the target market for.

Hi.  Please see posts above - I can verify this has been added in the latest beta,  which means it'll be out soon on public release.

Edit:  actually - check in the 'three dots' menu above a note;  I'm not sure when search within a note popped up there...

In my trial month here. I've never used an application containing editable text that did not have a find feature. I don't know what decision making process led to "Nah, organized people don't really use search that much." But it doesn't really give me confidence that this is an application I'm in the target market for.

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 6:32 AM, Matt W. said:

Hello all,

Hi Matt,

Did you have anything to do with finally getting this through?  If so thank you.  My head banging can now cease.

On ‎16‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 10:18 AM, gazumped said:

People have been crying out for this gob-smackingly obvious feature since 2012.  Is 4 years a long enough lead time do you think? 

Looks like they are finally about to release this feature.

I was shocked when I realized that the Evernote Android app does not have a "find in page" search feature.

Moving from Catch Notes to Evernote looks to have been a mistake. It is true that Evernote's web site is better, but with no offline access nor a good way to backup notes (without a subscription), and no way to search for text in a page, I'll have to think about going back to Catch. :-(

~ Jeff Byers ~

It is sad.  I'd forgotten that it was available in an iphone.  I can only believe that the "heavy hitters" like BurgerBF & jefito are Mac / iphone user otherwise they'd be posting long diatribes. For two years I recommended and promoted Evernote. Stopped last year. I evaluated Catch when they were called something else - If I recall.  

Its a real pain, but sometimes I just have to,

1. open note,

2. select / copy all

3. open NoteEverything

4. open new note in NE

5. paste

etc  

makes me wonder if the guys on the EN android team actually use their own app..

Maybe that's the key. 

I just don't understand how this capability isn't demanded by everyone.  I find it hard to believe that ebernote users don't have a greater need for this basic function. 

For years I've a spreadsheet in Google docs - about 2k rows - works fine via browser but gdocs on the droid is impossible to use . search, update etc   

wow how can such a basic 'feature' be missing?

i see the searched word is highlighted inside the note at least, but not being able to jump to the word is just mind boggling.

makes me wonder if the guys on the EN android team actually use their own app..

I first started asking for this feature over two years ago. I was reasonably happy using a workaround which ANDROID was providing in that, if I selected a word, I could then use Android's edit menu to Find that word (which also had an edit box allowing me to change the find target. All good).

However, that functionality disappeared when my phone upgraded its Android version last week. Evernote can no longer rely on Android to cover its deficiency.

Without a within-note find, Evernote has now become utterly useless to me - I need to do the "Select all, copy, paste to a real product, Find" approach which others have mentioned.

PLEASE ADD THIS LONG-REQUESTED AND ESSENTIAL FEATURE BEFORE YOU LOSE ANY USER WITH MORE THAN A FEW LINES IN THEIR NOTES!!

• Level 5*

I was shocked when I realized that the Evernote Android app does not have a "find in page" search feature.

Moving from Catch Notes to Evernote looks to have been a mistake. It is true that Evernote's web site is better, but with no offline access nor a good way to backup notes (without a subscription), and no way to search for text in a page, I'll have to think about going back to Catch. :-(

~ Jeff Byers ~

It is sad.  I'd forgotten that it was available in an iphone.  I can only believe that the "heavy hitters" like BurgerBF & jefito are Mac / iphone user otherwise they'd be posting long diatribes. For two years I recommended and promoted Evernote. Stopped last year. I evaluated Catch when they were called something else - If I recall.  

Its a real pain, but sometimes I just have to,

1. open note,

2. select / copy all

3. open NoteEverything

4. open new note in NE

5. paste

etc  

The apps tend to leapfrog one another. Next month, the iOS folks will be clamoring for that feature Android has that iOS lacks. I think you just have to be patient. I'm not into diatribes either. Some updates work better than others for me, but overall we are moving forward.

Up until a few days ago, I was one of those users beating the iOS developers over the head for not having a list / snippet view. Now we have it. However, I am still miffed that Android has better sort options (iOS lost a bumch in the last major update). There is always something to complain about to keep the developers busy :)

OK, so perhaps I overstated my case. 

Last week I was trying to demonstrate to a co-worker how a smart-phone

could be useful for him at work, and is not just for Facebook, Youtube,

navigation, etc. I picked looking up something that we needed to enter

into a computer in the lab as an example, but couldn't find it easily,

so the demo kind of bombed.

I guess that I had never noticed that the search wasn't scrolling to the

text being sought before because the text was either on the first page,

or I already knew that it was at the end so only used the search to find

the note.

When I found this thread, I saw the someone had been hoping

for this feature way back in Jan 2010. I'm assuming that this

part of the forum is even monitored by Evernote developers,

which may be incorrect.

=====

Regarding the backup of notes, I've lost two SD cards to failure,

and have lost pictures, etc. due to this. So I now routinely export

and backup everything I can to my desktop so I'm covered in case

of failure, loss, or theft.

These backups have saved me in more likely situations where

a bad app update had to be reverted, or something or somebody

(i.e. me) munged up the app data and I needed to go back

to a prior weeks version. In the Evernote app, since it is stored

in the cloud, there is nothing to backup.

I haven't researched if I can get weeks old versions of my notes

from the web client -- if so, that might suffice.

I know that Google Contacts has such a feature -- it saved me

when my port to a new phone destroyed my contacts list, doubling

the number of contacts. There was an a handy undo on the mass

update which fixed it all up.

=====

I'm probably not going to give up on Evernote just yet, although

the above combined with their recent account security hacked

issue has me thinking about it.

To be fair, I'm only using about 10% of Evernote's capabilities -- that

is all that I need, and so far am paying $0 for it, so I really shouldn't

complain so stridently,

~ Jeff Byers ~

• Level 5*

It is sad.  I'd forgotten that it was available in an iphone.  I can only believe that the "heavy hitters" like BurgerBF & jefito are Mac / iphone user otherwise they'd be posting long diatribes.

You'd be believing something incorrect then: I am a Windows and Android Evernote client user -- no Apple products at all. Sorry to disappoint you, but even when I'm unhappy about the Evernote clients that I do use, I don't post "long diatribes" about shortcomings that I find. I have posted detailed descriptions of problems and made suggestions, but I have never found that ranting about these sorts of things accomplishes all too much.

On the other hand, I have been to Katahdin. :)

Another strong vote for "Search within note" in the Android app!  As a student, I keep my class notes for each course I take in a single note (four courses = four notes).  A single note typically runs thousands of lines.  I create my notes on a laptop, but occasionally need to took something up on an Android tablet.  Needless to say, scrolling through thousands of lines of text to find a specific detail is very frustrating.

I have heard the advice "make lots of short notes instead of one big note."  But then the problem would be that when I searched a notebook, Evernote would potentially come up with hundreds of notes containing the search terms.   That's even worse.

Please implement this feature.   Make it a premium feature if you need to monetize it.  For me, this feature alone would be worth the price of an upgrade to Premium.

• Level 5*

I'm guessing that that's on the list -- it's just too useful. Note that the Evernote Android client has undergone a steady improvement over the last year or so that I've been using it (on a Kindle Fire).

The iPad Evernote app *does* have the "search within page" feature, so maybe Evernote is one of those mostly Apple companies.

It is not. The Android client has some things that are apparently better than the iOS client; the two teams are completely different, and tend to operate on different schedules with different priorities.

nor a good way to backup notes (without a subscription)

I'm not sure what makes you claim this. Can you explain more?

All of the browsers do, as does the Catch Notes which is what I left when I moved to Evernote.

I need this because I use Evernote for "notes", which tend to get longer over time, and use them when I am not a my desktop computer, or near any desktop computer. Highlighting helps a bit, but alone is not enough.

The iPad Evernote app *does* have the "search within page" feature, so maybe Evernote is one of those mostly Apple companies.

I was thinking that in a pinch, I could use the Evernote web page on my smart phone, but because there is no "mobile" version of the web site, the site is too unwieldy to use on a phone, even with a 5" screen.

~ Jeff Byers ~

>>Well, please recommend it. I was very pleased to see my suggestion taken up (assuming it was mine that provoked the change) >>for the desktop. But if anything in the tiny, little screen size on the phones, it is more important to have it on the device. Thanks.

Sadly, I requested the same thing over 3 years ago (edit)  - circa Jan 2010 !   The lack of a search WITHIN a note REALLY makes the wonderfulness of EN pale or even worthless. I used to compare it to not even meeting the functionality of the old Palm OS.

• Level 5*

Looks good, some nice changes.

One glitch with respect to search text highlighting: if you go to full screen on a note that has search text highlighted, the highlighting goes away. You can't get it back unless you switch back from full screen, select a different note, and re-select the original.

Ability to skip through search hits would be useful too, to expand a bit on JohnA's comment above.

Hi all.

First time posting here.

Put Evernote onto my HTC Wildfire about 2 wks back, syncing with my two desktops (work and home).

It's great for a to-do list - I have boilerplate tasks in my email client, create a new email, modify, then send it to Evernote.

Now I want to have some of my accounts data available when I'm on the run - specifically product descriptions and prices.

I can export a CSV file of products and prices, and then send it to a note. Prices are reasonably stable so a weekly export and upload is no burden.

Searching within a note and displaying a hit will be critical to my speedily answering a customer query for a product price.

I see Jeff's comment above and can confirm it works, but my CSV file is about 55K of text, covering about 1000 product lines, so a successful search isn't helpful unless it's visible in the tiny phone window space.

Any help would be appreciated!

Just discovered that on the Android client that a search will highlight the searched for words in all found notes. So when you open a note all found words are highlighted.

I second @monsieurms request for being able to have this same functionality within the currently viewed note, just like on the desktop client.

Short of having inter-note links (i.e. html anchor tags), I have just started trying to solve this using a "table of contents" at the top of larger notes and then search for that phrase within that note. Which on the desktop client works great by highlighting all found instances and letting you jump to the next instance.

Jeff

Hi monsieurms,

As far as I am aware, this feature is not currently available right now. No news on whether it will be or not in the future.

Scott

Well, please recommend it. I was very pleased to see my suggestion taken up (assuming it was mine that provoked the change) for the desktop. But if anything in the tiny, little screen size on the phones, it is more important to have it on the device. Thanks.

I've read the respond as a stalling method therefor I didn't respond. If they don't want to instal what we request for, so be t. 

I totally agree with you, why do we have to request the obvious. It's like a unordened phonebook; where the request would be 'can you please put the names in alphabetic order?'. 

On 12/14/2015 at 3:33 PM, scruggles said:

Hi folks!

Sorry this thread hasn't been addressed properly - sometimes requests fall through the cracks, so thank you for bringing this to the top of the threadlist.

We have a (large) number of feature requests in our backlog, but this is something we're considering working on. Can any of your provide some use cases for the search in note feature? How often would you use this feature? Do you use this feature on other platforms? What is the workflow you do that requires search in note (specifically, what would you do after you had a successful search)? Answers to these questions will help us better understand and prioritize the feature request.

Thanks for giving us the feedback, and keep the requests coming! It helps us make our products better.

-Karen

I am beside myself with amazement that "how would you use this feature" would even be a legitimate question - seriously. It's great to search for a word in Windows Explorer for example, and come up with all the files that have that word in it, but would it really be helpful if, upon opening that file, you couldn't search for the word? That's almost like the guy who said why do we need telephone lines when we can write a letter.

The uses for this feature are built into almost any application in computing today. Search within a document. For as innovative as Evernote seems, I just can't get my arms around why this question is being asked...and answered.

Hi folks!

-Karen

Hi Haren,

Thanks for your most welcomed post :)

I have a note with more than 2400 lines (and more lines added every week) which I use both at home and during work.

I have to search certain keywords and see the exact paragraph which contains these words.

Doing it at home, in front of my desktop is no problem.

But at work all I have is my smartphone, and without a similar search feature I'm totally lost :angry:

Hi Karen

FINALLY!!  :)

Karen if you read through all of the posts in the thread you will find many answers to all of your questions... but the simple answer is "the iPhone app has this feature so why doesn't the Android app?".  Yes I know Apple users are a different breed of human (some geneticists suggest they are a different species altogether and I'm guessing that's why your iPhone team can't communicate with your Android team because not even the geniuses at Google have been able to figure out a translator) but I just can't see them having different requirements and use cases than Android users.

Thanks,
Rai. 

Hi folks!

-Karen

Of course, this feature was implemented on the desktop. I use it often there, but it is of much more value on the Android app because of smaller screens. Ironically, it wasn't implemented on Android. On the desktop, I can see more of the note and scroll faster anyway. Not so on Android.

So, here's how it goes: your product has evolved. That's a good thing. The original concept of short notes eventually added audio, photos, etc. And now I think users have also found other uses you didn't really anticipate--that standing, more-or-less permanent and  longer text notes are useful, too. For me, to name one instance, I keep my ebook inventory on Evernote. It is fairly extensive. I had lots of problems getting this to work.

First, I had to break the notes alphabetically by author down to small chunks (Like note "A" instead of note "A-L") because it is so slow and difficult to edit long notes on the Android app. First, Text entry slows to a crawl when editing. (This is a problem we've not discussed. I have a Note 4--it certainly has plenty of speed and memory. The problem is with the Evernote app's limited ability in handling longer notes...)

PLUS, finally coming to the current issue, I couldn't find anything easily if, say, I wanted to see if X book was part of Y series. Where does X book appear? In what part of which note? When I had this organized more as A-L, that was a lot of text to move through. Or, even if I just wanted to go quickly to a certain part of the note, I couldn't. It is hard to find and scroll a long note EVEN when I know what I'm looking for--and sometimes I wouldn't. A word search often works better. It's just faster in landing at the right place if you have unique words that don't appear often.

When, finally, I limited the alphabet coverage of each note to things like just "A," that certainly helped as a crude workaround.  Assuming I remember who the author is, of course. And. It would still be easier to just do a quick word search and go right to the portion of the note i want, wouldn't it? And it would be nice if I didn't have to break these inventory notes now into 15 notes to cover the alphabet, instead of 2. As long as there is no search (and as long as that text entry slowness keeps degrading performance when editing longer notes), that's not possible. This workaround is ok. It's not perfect. It's always faster to go to unique words. I'd rather not do the workaround. It's clutter and imperfect. 

Hi folks!

-Karen

Hi folks!

-Karen

Another request for search within a note. I'm as frustrated about this as everyone else on this thread. It's such an obvious feature. They have been ignoring these requests for years. Maybe people need to threaten to switch to a competitor like Onenote.

My answer to Karen's question:

I have a long note FULL of words and I need to find ONE of these words. Believe me or not, but when you use texts, it happens plenty of times!

As for the work flow, mine was interrupted 20 minutes ago looking for a solution to this very problem, and still hasn't been resumed because the quote feature of this forum is bugged, or at least hardly usable with Android, as you can see from my former failed attempt at posting this reply.

So annoyed to see how this company keep ignoring request for a very legitimate productivity features inside the Android apps over 'years'

I guess these days they only care about  launching features which are "eye catching" but already forget about the basic and helping clients to be productive. 

I don't even know they have any idea about how much time it would take to locate a piece of information within a lengthy note.   Last week I tried once and after ten minutes of scrolling in the small Android screen, I have just given up without any hope.

Search with note is just one of the examples how they forget about the basic and helping customers to improve productivity, I could easily name a few other absent / poorly implemented basic features within the apps and desktop client. 

I think it's time to look for other options and make a switch....

Good luck

Forget it guys, Evernote support have been ignoring this thread (and others on the same topic) for FOUR. YEARS. NOW. Even when you engage with them directly, as I did, they just say "oh, yeah, it needs that, it should happen". Then nothing. For years.

After three years of using the product, including premium, I'm utterly gobsmacked that they still imagine it is a useful Android app without this feature. I kept expecting it to arrive in the next update to make things work properly, but no. Apparently, there aren't enough Android users out there for them to provide the same functionality which it has had on Windows and i* platforms since day one.

Disappointed doesn't even come close to describing how I feel about this issue.

Archived