Copy and pasting from Evernote to text file

I've read a number of forum entries concerning pasting text into Evernote and getting double spaced lines in the note. What I'm trying to do is take text in Evernote and copy it out into a text file. It seems when I do this, I get double spaced results.

For example, I create some simple text in BBEdit. Then I copy and paste the text into a new note in Evernote with no problem. But when I then copy/paste the same text from the note I just created back into a new text file, it comes out double spaced in the text file.

I've tried simplify formatting before copying the text out of Evernote. I've also tried pasting into Word, TextEdit, vi, etc and the pasted text from the note always comes out doublespaced.

The reason I use this is because I typically log config files(rc, hosts, etc) into Evernote before I make changes to systems I manage. That way I have them handy for quick access should I need to roll back changes.

Using Evernote 3.3.0 for Mac. Any idea?

• Level 5*

I've read a number of forum entries concerning pasting text into Evernote and getting double spaced lines in the note. What I'm trying to do is take text in Evernote and copy it out into a text file. It seems when I do this, I get double spaced results.

For example, I create some simple text in BBEdit. Then I copy and paste the text into a new note in Evernote with no problem. But when I then copy/paste the same text from the note I just created back into a new text file, it comes out double spaced in the text file.

I've tried simplify formatting before copying the text out of Evernote. I've also tried pasting into Word, TextEdit, vi, etc and the pasted text from the note always comes out doublespaced.

The reason I use this is because I typically log config files(rc, hosts, etc) into Evernote before I make changes to systems I manage. That way I have them handy for quick access should I need to roll back changes.

Using Evernote 3.3.0 for Mac. Any idea?

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

This is a difficulty I have encountered as well. There are a couple of solutions. You can export the note as an HTML file, open the note into your browser, and then copy/paste. Or, just log into the Web client and copy/paste from there.

Thanks Grumpy. I was afraid it was going to have to be something like that. Interesting thing though is if I create the text in a new note and then paste it into a text file, it comes out okay(1st line is messed up though). It seems to be pasted text or drag/dropped text files that don't copy out well.

One more workaround....BBEdit can use grep for find/replace parameters.

If I take the text from the note, paste it into BBEdit(with a bunch of blank double-space lines), I can find/replace on ^\r and it will remove all blank lines. I can then copy from BBEdit to console, etc.

• Level 5*

Thanks Grumpy. I was afraid it was going to have to be something like that. Interesting thing though is if I create the text in a new note and then paste it into a text file, it comes out okay(1st line is messed up though). It seems to be pasted text or drag/dropped text files that don't copy out well.

This is my observation, but I may be wrong. The <div> and <p> tags are causing extra line breaks to be inserted, so it isn't just copy/pasted text, but text created in Evernote as well.

• 2 weeks later...

This has been a major barrier for me being able to use Evernote to create text (as opposed to just storing it for filing). The reformatting required when pasting from Evernote is really quite cumbersome. This is a very basic function that is so broken that it is unusable. I'm finding these kinds of things are getting progressively more disappointing.

I've found a way around this. If you email the note to yourself, the program/site that receives the note usually ~can~ handle the line breaks correctly upon copying to the clipboard; so you can copy from there and then to wherever you wanted to paste it to begin with. Not an ideal solution, but something to use while waiting for better text editing.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having this problem as well and I must say it is quite annoying. I manage several different systems and keep the plain-text configurations in Evernote, but it is very disrupting to my work flow to not be able to make changes right into Evernote, copy the text and paste it right into the Terminal or into an email or report, because of the extra line breaks. Please fix this!

• Level 5*

I am having this problem as well and I must say it is quite annoying. I manage several different systems and keep the plain-text configurations in Evernote, but it is very disrupting to my work flow to not be able to make changes right into Evernote, copy the text and paste it right into the Terminal or into an email or report, because of the extra line breaks. Please fix this!

As someone who works primarily in plain text, and really needs the spaces, line breaks, and so forth to be accurate, this is quite a disruption in my workflow as well. I suppose one could argue that we are plain-text nerds, geeks, and in the minority here, but I imagine everyone would appreciate knowing that their text will move out of Evernote without any problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Email the note to yourself. Nearly every mail program or webmail site can handle basic text formatting and so you can use it to properly handle the copy/paste part of your notes. It's an extra (and annoying) step, but it's better than having to fiddle with everything after you've pasted the mess evernote sends to the clipboard.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue, and I don't like the work arounds mentioned above.

I use Clyppan's "Always paste clippings as plain text" setting to get text into Evernote with no formatting and I'd really like a shift+ctrl+c to copy the text to the clipboard in plain format when moving data out of Evernote -- or something to that effect.

Same issue on almost every note i wrote. After copy and paste i have an extra \n after each line.

Why results a new created note in evernote with the format...

Hello World!
hello
world!

...after a copy and paste into textmate, sublime text 2 or i think nearly any other texteditor like program on the mac in

Hello World!hello

world!

Thats really strange because is removes one \n after "Hello World!" and adds additional ones for each line.

The doubled \n disappears if the copied note isn't plain text. So if you temporary bold the complete text and copy it. The copied text looks like...

Hello World!hello
world!

... without doubled \n, but not correct. After turning bold off the doubled \n are back in copied text.

The behaviour is the same if i first create the given text from above in textmate copy and paste it to a new created evernote note and copy and paste it back to textmate. The text isn't equal to the origin.

I think it is a bug and hope the evernote team will fix it soon.

Jake's approach is probably the best.

On Windows, pasting with formatting is often unwanted - there is a terrific free (and tiny) program called PureText by Steve Miller that pastes as plain text. Rather like pasting into vanilla Notepad and copying back out. I use it all the time (copying into emails etc) and to copy into EN to get the consistent text font and size.

If I was on a Mac I would not hesitate to try Jake's script..

• 2 weeks later...

Mainly I write markdown in my notes. To copy the plain text into an other editor I currently set the whole text to bold and then I copy and paste it in a editor (e.g. Sublime Text 2). After that the extra line feeds are gone and I turn of bold in the note. The workaround is acceptable for me. BUT I would prefer that copy and paste acts like any copy and paste which means it may copy the format of the text too, but not change the text or add format to plain text! In my eyes this is simply an annoying bug and should be corrected as soon as possible. Regardless of whether workarounds exists or not.

+1 in wanting a fix for this. Currently looking at migrating from Simplenote, which is increasingly unreliable. Better handling of plain text in Evernote is a must. Two major issues:

1. This "extra spaces on copy/paste" issue.

2. Plain text notes aren't genuine plain text: they just have formatting cleared and a different font applied.

2a. There's no keyboard shortcut for making a note plain text.

• 4 weeks later...

+1, this is incredibly annoying. The worst part is that there's no consistency, so you can't fix this with regular expressions…

When copying the following text, from Evernote:

Line 1

Line 3
Line 4

Pasting it into a plain-text application, you end up with:

Line 1

Line 3

LIne 4

There's no possible way to differentiate that!

I managed to fix all the other cases, but this one is just making it impossible to develop a fix.

• Level 5*
Is this on the Evernote team's roadmap? This is really annoying.

Evernote generally aims to improve its editing experience, but they do not usually tell us what's on their roadmap.

• 3 weeks later...

+1

Kind of amazing how Evernote managed to completely mess up something as simple as copy and paste of plain text. I have never seen any other app get something so basic so wrong before. I'm attempting to make Evernote my go-to app for notes across all my devices, but not even being able to copy-and-paste plain text is definitely going to be a deal breaker.

Not only does every line end up double-spaced, but when I try to copy plain text into Evernote, it collapses all the whitespace, removing all my tabs and any run of two or more spaces. Since Evernote doesn't expand tabs correctly either (it always inserts a specific number of spaces, instead of the correct number of spaces to put the cursor in a place where it will line up with other rows), I'm stuck with no way to make two columns of text line up properly other than to manually add the spacing on every line. That's just plain unacceptable.

This really needs to get fixed immediately.

FWIW, I did find a workaround for copying plain text into Evernote: just use drag-and-drop instead of invoking Evernote's botched "paste" command. (And yes, I've also tried the "paste without formatting" command; doesn't help.) When I drag a selection from either BBEdit or TextEdit to Evernote, it doesn't collapse every run of spaces into a single space. This should work when dragging plain text from any app, and it might just make Evernote barely tolerable enough to continue using until this gets fixed properly.

+1!

I have the opposite problem. Pasting text into Evernote loses line breaks. So this:

Mary had a little lamb

and a little veal

and a drumstick

pastes into the Evernote note as:

Mary had a little lamb and a little veal and a drumstick

Ungood.

(Evernote 5.0.4, Mac OS 10.6.8)

Found an interesting workaround. Paste into another document did not work but if I paste the text into a browser text entry block (such as this one, I am typing into right now!), I can then copy that and paste it into the note.

Weird.

Why can't Evernote handle copy and paste of text??? Arg.

All - I also experience the formatting issue as well when copy/pasting out of evernote. As long as I'm working only within Evernote things are great but the minute I take my notes and put them in an email (Outlook 2007-2010), word processor (Word 2007-2010), almost anywhere else the formatting is screwed up. I'm happy to continue using evernote but would like to know if this is planned to be fixed. It seems basic. A lot of progress has been made with 3rd party apps, Mac version, etc. so could we quit and focus on this for like a day in development? Can't be that hard, can it? Help!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Any word on this? Thanks!

You don't need to keep asking. Evernote does read these posts; they just don't always respond, nor do they generally tell us what features are on their roadmap, as we keep trying to remind folks.

Found at least one cause for losing line breaking when pasting. I corresponded with someone at Evernote who was not able to repeat this. So I did some more experiments and realized what was triggering it. 

In my case, the problem only occurs when copying from PPC apps running under Rosetta (in my case, Eudora and BBEdit). Because I was a heavy Eudora user, I saw it often and never realized it was only under those conditions. In my experiments, there was no problem for any modern app (like TextEdit).

Thanks Evernote team for making such an awesome app, I am sure you will figure something out to fix this issue.

I have the same issue as mentioned above. 

I did notice that @moe52 is correct, that if I paste into TextEdit I don't have the issue. However, I cannot find another app that this is the case. If I paste into any other app I have the spacing issue. Specifically Chrome Version 24.0.1312.57, Coda version 2.0.7,  Safari version 6.0.2, Adobe Illustrator CS6, and the list goes on. All of these apps are modern apps from my perspective, at very least, I don't imagine that Safari is not running under Rosetta. 

I believe that this issue is caused by something else.

Really looking forward to a release that fixes this issue. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am having issues copying and pasting text inside and out of evernote. I seemed to remember that I have done this in the past but now it does not work at all. I am running Evernote 5.07 on a Mac running 10.75

• Level 5*

I am having issues copying and pasting text inside and out of evernote. I seemed to remember that I have done this in the past but now it does not work at all. I am running Evernote 5.07 on a Mac running 10.75

It really, really helps if you are specific about what issues you are having.

• 2 weeks later...

In the same vein, when I copy and paste text from Evernote to a vim edit session in Linux, the text has no newlines and in fact bunches everything together with no spacing.

The cut and paste aspect of Evernote has been a bane from the beginning, and I've been an Evernote user for some time. For a product that is supposed to be frictionless at getting information in and out of the cloud, this has been pain for far too long.

It is pissing off a very loyal customer.

Here's an example of pasting some Python code:

coefs_est,sigma_est=alg.AR_est_YW(X,2)# no rigorous purpose behind 100 transientsX_hat,_,_=utils.ar_generator(N=npts,sigma=sigma_est,coefs=coefs_est,drop_transients=100,v=noise)fig02=plt.figure()ax=fig02.add_subplot(111)ax.plot(np.arange(100,len(X_hat)+100),X_hat,label='estimated process')ax.plot(X,'g--',label='original process')ax.legend()err=X_hat-X[100:]mse=np.dot(err,err)/len(X_hat)ax.set_title('Mean Square Error: %1.3e'%mse)o

This is not usable.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also having problems with spaces in Evernote Web Interface. 

When I copy from an editor a text like this:

123451 2  3   4    5

... and paste it on Evernote Web Interface, the result is:

It is incredible how Evernote has many advanced functions, like OCR of images and scan of PDF contents, yet its editors (dedicated apps and Web interfaces) are filled with bugs and can't even handle pure text correctly! And this has been going for years...

• 3 months later...

I downloaded Evernote version 5 today for Windows Desktop in hopes maybe this was worked on.  Still seeing the same issue.  I'd like to get back into Evernote but this is a major issue for me, a large annoyance and very frustrating.  Screenshot attached.

Windows 8, 64-bit

Office 2013 - Word & Outlook

Evernote 5 beta (happened in previous version 4 as well)

From Evernote -> Outlook and Word, formatting is still poor.

8114bd8e-3df2-45b6-ace4-eac6f6355dbc_zps

• 4 months later...
  • Level 5*

Bump - refuse to let this die. 

Please don't "bump" topics -- there's really no need. Evernote reads the forums -- rest assured that they know about this and related problems. Bumping without adding new, relevant information (which excludes your current level of annoyance :)) doesn't really give further motivation to Evernote development teams. Item #5 from the Forum Code of Conduct more or less governs this.

Sorry jeff - I could have worded my response differently.  I don't intend fo bump it as much as I am curious if people are still having the problem and whether or not Evernote has plans to fix it.  From my perpsective, it's hard to rest assured it's being worked when there's really no feedback on it and it's been a problem for over a year.  I see a lot of great things coming out of evernote, except literally the text content that's put in to it.  So please take it as candid feedback.  I did not think adding to this thread every few months was too much of a bump to violate a code of conduct.  If it is, I'll stop.  My hopes are that as you guys go into 2014 and create your long list of things you'd like to fix this is a reminder that it's still a problem - seems fair to keep visibility on it.

• Level 5*

@Tarrant64: Oh, no real problem -- that was just to give you a nudge towards good forum practice -- I didn't think it seriously warranted any heavy moderator action (and you should note that I am a moderator in the forums, but not an Evernote employee), and the issue *is* after all pretty annoying, across all Evernote platforms. But Evernote maintains its own bug list separate from the forums, and you can bet this and related issues are already on that list (see above); it's all a matter of priority and level-of-effort that govern when/if things get done. 

So yeah, is more of a user forum, and less of an official Evernote feedback forum. Evernote staff don't sped a lot of time engaging in discussions here, and they don't often post progress updates, or future feature release plans, etc. That sort of interaction is always welcome, of course, but that's just not how they do things. Lack of forum feedback doesn't imply lack of action behind the scenes.

That being said, Evernote employee Jackolicious has posted about this issue elsewhere in the forums. See this post, for example: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/31179-long-time-user-1st-time-poster-evernote-bullet-lists-needs-to-be-fixed-now/?p=219391, and further posts in the same topic.

• 3 months later...

Today I happened to kill off some tabs in my browser where I had spent some time making javascript code, I noticed my misstake and were relieved when I remembered I made a backup in Evernote. Well, that did not do me much good, I have to fix every line ending if I want to use it. -Seriously??

For a fancy cloud text editor you really do not impress me much. I am trying to push our company yo use your services but I lost my inspiration reading this thread.

I expect this to be adressed promptly but seeing this thread was created in August 2012 it seems I can forget about it.

One thing is for sure. As soon as there is another service with similar functionality you will be loosing some paying customers.

I am sorry if I sound irritated, but when wrongly assuming your software can handle the simplest of things and you get let down, it gets to you.

And that's why I've updated the thread every once in a while, and even added examples so people can clearly see what's going on.  I signed up specifically to post about this issue and get with the community to see what was going on - and Evernote has fell largely short.

As far as "another service with similar functionality" - you're aware of OneNote right?  It works fairly well - I'm an Evernote Premium user yet I find myself switching back and forth between the two.  Last year was all OneNote - and I had 0 issues.  I returned back to Evernote this year in hopes of seeing improvements and there are tons a new (and great) features added, but some core functionality is seemingly ignored.  It's a big downer.  Paying for Premium for a few years now, in hopes my support will eventually see the team through some core changes - but nope.  I've seen new product lines, wallets, scanners, printers, mobile apps, etc. - but I still cant' format a note properly. 

About the only feedback I can give is I've had "less" problems using it on the Mac platform - but I'd hate to switch away from Windows at work just to use it (I am, or was, a Mac user at home).  I don't actually recall any formatting issues on the Mac platform but I believe others have posted they have indeed had it. 

Now - if Evernote actually implements touch screen compatibility (drawing) with their desktop application I can overlook most of the formatting issues (maybe for another year?) ;) - probably the greatest thing about OneNote right now for me. 

About the only feedback I can give is I've had "less" problems using it on the Mac platform - but I'd hate to switch away from Windows at work just to use it (I am, or was, a Mac user at home).  I don't actually recall any formatting issues on the Mac platform but I believe others have posted they have indeed had it. 

I am on a Mac actually. As a developer working with different languages I am honestly surprised Evernote has not yet implemented some kind of syntax highlighting or any tools at all for that matter that has to do with code. Many developers use Evernote and I can only guess what would happen if a competitor would start supporting code better. I am pretty sure a lot of people would leave.

I really like Evernote though, I enjoy keeping journals, scanning documents and so on. But the code part is really bugging me. I must check out that OneNote. I have heard a lot of good about it. Thanks for the tip!

• Level 5*

I am on a Mac actually. As a developer working with different languages I am honestly surprised Evernote has not yet implemented some kind of syntax highlighting or any tools at all for that matter that has to do with code. Many developers use Evernote and I can only guess what would happen if a competitor would start supporting code better. I am pretty sure a lot of people would leave.

I really like Evernote though, I enjoy keeping journals, scanning documents and so on. But the code part is really bugging me. I must check out that OneNote. I have heard a lot of good about it. Thanks for the tip!

Although it would be great for me to have syntax highlighting, it probably wouldn't be so great for Evernote, because the app is targeted at the general consumer. Everyone from your grandparents to their grandchildren can use Evernote, but they probably won't be able to get so much use out of BBEdit (for example), even though BBEdit arguably has a better editor (for coders, at least). For better or for worse, there are tradeoffs involved in software engineering, and the more general appeal and app has, the less appropriate it usually becomes for specialized tasks. Not always, of course, but this is often the case. 

I think a clever third-party developer could design an Evernote interface using the Evernote API that would address all of the concerns raised in this thread, but I imagine there wouldn't be a whole lot of money in the endeavor. I'd be interested in it, of course, but I don't know how many people are that concerned with coding or the way that lines end. After all, anecdotally speaking, a huge number of people I have met only keep a handful of notes in Evernote, and these are things like grocery lists, todo lists, and webclippings.

You make a good point there.  I guess Evernote's best route would be to adopt plugins for support for things such as syntax highlighting.  Not sure how much it would involve changing their code, but you could have people design and improve Evernote with features/functionality that they want.  Different text based editors (for better Office format support for example, odt support, etc.), syntax highlighting (like BBEdit, Notepad++), color tabs (think OneNote), note/notebook sorting (this would be helpful), skins (for those who just really need even more color in their lives). 

However, you want to avoid it becoming the plugin junkyard that is Firefox.  And perhaps even Chrome these days.  Both of which have some horrid skins produced, and even worse plugins (susceptible to security issues).  Tough call whether or not to open that box up. 

Although it would be great for me to have syntax highlighting, it probably wouldn't be so great for Evernote, because the app is targeted at the general consumer. Everyone from your grandparents to their grandchildren can use Evernote, but they probably won't be able to get so much use out of BBEdit (for example), even though BBEdit arguably has a better editor (for coders, at least). For better or for worse, there are tradeoffs involved in software engineering, and the more general appeal and app has, the less appropriate it usually becomes for specialized tasks. Not always, of course, but this is often the case. 

I think a clever third-party developer could design an Evernote interface using the Evernote API that would address all of the concerns raised in this thread, but I imagine there wouldn't be a whole lot of money in the endeavor. I'd be interested in it, of course, but I don't know how many people are that concerned with coding or the way that lines end. After all, anecdotally speaking, a huge number of people I have met only keep a handful of notes in Evernote, and these are things like grocery lists, todo lists, and webclippings.

While I can agree with some things you said I cannot see a reason to implement more features to help more groups gather around this product. I understand that this might make things more complex for you if you were to implement it into the main textfield of an Evernote note. If however you were to implement this as a module or other external thing this would not interfere with the regular workings of Evernote.

I understand that this might not be the best investment, but as a developer you hold a lot of sway into what your company users internally to document or do teamwork with.

For a developer that does this on his spare time this can be hard, considering it is non payed and might have problems if you update your API often. But it would be a quite simple task for you who already know this API well and can throw up a beta module in no time.

And I also believe that listening to your every users need is an important thing, that is what differs between an average software suite and a great one. It's not in what you do but what you try to do :-)

• Level 5*

While I can agree with some things you said I cannot see a reason to implement more features to help more groups gather around this product. I understand that this might make things more complex for you if you were to implement it into the main textfield of an Evernote note. If however you were to implement this as a module or other external thing this would not interfere with the regular workings of Evernote.

I understand that this might not be the best investment, but as a developer you hold a lot of sway into what your company users internally to document or do teamwork with.

For a developer that does this on his spare time this can be hard, considering it is non payed and might have problems if you update your API often. But it would be a quite simple task for you who already know this API well and can throw up a beta module in no time.

And I also believe that listening to your every users need is an important thing, that is what differs between an average software suite and a great one. It's not in what you do but what you try to do :-)

Speaking from a purely selfish perspective, I want a lot more control over the data in my account, and I often chafe at the lack of customization available, but I also realize that they have limited resources that they are (I think) trying to funnel into making a service that will have a low barrier to entry for the general consumer, which means that they spend a lot of time on "simplification" rather than adding new customizations. Hence, my suggestion for a third-party integration of some kind. 

Unfortunately for me, I am looking for "complexification" rather than simplification. Or, to put it another way, the ability (in a menu or some other place) to customize the apps to meet my specific needs. This is a little difficult to do well, though I do think it could be done. However, I understand if Evernote decides not to implement some of the suggestions I have made (or the ones in this thread), because they prefer to devote their efforts to something else that would appeal to a general audience.

While I certainly encourage everyone to voice their concerns, suggestions, etc., as a practical matter, I'd also suggest adjusting your workflow to the app that is rather than the app that you want it to be, because I don't get the sense that they are heading in the direction of special features that would appeal to coders. Speaking for myself, looking at the process this way (suggest and hope for, but don't expect, changes) tends to reduce frustration.

While I certainly encourage everyone to voice their concerns, suggestions, etc., as a practical matter, I'd also suggest adjusting your workflow to the app that is rather than the app that you want it to be, because I don't get the sense that they are heading in the direction of special features that would appeal to coders. Speaking for myself, looking at the process this way (suggest and hope for, but don't expect, changes) tends to reduce frustration.

Well sure I can keep thinking -This app could be great. But in reality I am moving over to whatever fills my needs. Right now, I am looking for something else considering these are not unattainable goals. These are so basic it's really embarrassing for the Evernote team not to have already implemented them. I realize this thread is getting OT though. So after now having voiced my concerns stating Evernote is not a tool for any business that has to do with software development. I will continue to search for something better. Thanks anyway. Good luck with your grocery list tool.

• Level 5*

Today I happened to kill off some tabs in my browser where I had spent some time making javascript code, I noticed my misstake and were relieved when I remembered I made a backup in Evernote. Well, that did not do me much good, I have to fix every line ending if I want to use it. -Seriously??

You may find that the best way to save text content in Evernote, like code, is as an attachment. As it is, I am able to save code snippets to Evernote and paste them back into my development environments pretty faithfully. Not sure what the problem that you're seeing is, though; maybe if you were more specific about what environment you are using, you might get some contrete suggestions.

For a fancy cloud text editor you really do not impress me much. I am trying to push our company yo use your services but I lost my inspiration reading this thread.

If Evernote was intended to be a text editor, then sure, but Evernote is a note management system that *has* a rich text editor, quite a different thing. A dedicated text editor is going to work tons better on actual text content. You use the tools for what they're intended, otherwise, you may not get the results that you expect.

I expect this to be adressed promptly but seeing this thread was created in August 2012 it seems I can forget about it.

One thing is for sure. As soon as there is another service with similar functionality you will be loosing some paying customers.

I am sorry if I sound irritated, but when wrongly assuming your software can handle the simplest of things and you get let down, it gets to you.

That's sort of why we need to be careful of making assumptions in life.

Well sure I can keep thinking -This app could be great. But in reality I am moving over to whatever fills my needs. Right now, I am looking for something else considering these are not unattainable goals. These are so basic it's really embarrassing for the Evernote team not to have already implemented them. I realize this thread is getting OT though. So after now having voiced my concerns stating Evernote is not a tool for any business that has to do with software development. I will continue to search for something better. Thanks anyway. Good luck with your grocery list tool.

Evernote is great for software development, but it is not great for writing code. I'm a software developer, and I use it every day to help me manage my projects, and collect documentation and development articles from the web, screen cap visuals, and any number of other useful tasks. I don't use it for writing or maintaining code. Evernote is far more than a grocery list tool, even if you can't see it. Hopefully you'll find the tool that you're looking for, though -- good luck.

I also use EN to store code snippets/programs.  No problem there. I do realize this may depend upon what type of code you're storing AND what you're EXPECTING from Evernote.   Because If you want some sort of code parsing tool, EN is not that. Nor has it claimed to be (that I'm aware of - please post where they claim to be such.)

The thing I find really, really funny about this post is that if I had "lost" a lot of work (and especially b/c of something that *I* did accidentally) & only had to "fix every line ending" (not really sure what that means, tho), I'd be really, really glad to have what I was able to recover. (I've actually been in a similar situation - Evernote was not involved.  But I do remember going from thinking I'd lost EVERYTHING to having to change things & was really, really, REALLY glad I had something to springboard from rather than starting 100% from scratch.)  Also, IIRC, EN is not touted as "a fancy cloud text editor".

Regarding quote below...how is this Evernote's fault?  (Emphasis mine.)  You've actually answered yourself.

Wow, I got the attention of three moderators. Ok, this is my last post until tomorrow ( I am new to this forum ).

Let's explain in detail what happened. Or rather simplify it.

I copied some javascript from something I was working on to my "journal" I keep in Evernote. As I am evaluating to use Evernote as a journaling and process documentation tool in our business, this is what is in part what it would be used for. 

Anyway, later when I noticed I needed that javascript again I thought to myself. Isn't that great, I have these lines of code, in regular text, saved in a journal/note in Evernote.

So here is where I did the momentous mistake of trying to mark the text in my note in Evernote the app on Mac OS X, choose copy and then try to paste it somewhere.

I tried pasting it in Emacs, with different settings, I also tried EmacsForOSX thinking it would be a GUI thing. Did not work.

I thought, that's odd. So I tried to paste it in Text Wrangler, and some other programs. Did not work.

Eventually I pasted it in jsfiddle and used Tidy Up to fix it. That worked.

So to shorten it up. I tried to copy from Evernote to something else and that was my mistake. Now you of course think, -What an idiot, how can he possibly think he can just copy text from a note in Evernote, it's a note taking app not a note copy app.

Funny thing is, I mentioned it to my wife on our way home from work, and she tells me that's exactly why she stopped using Evernote, she tried to copy something from a note she had and she couldn't get it right (She is a professional speaker). Imagine that, two users who obviously can not understand how to use this grocery list tool that aims at simplicity and not complex things.

Let me come with some advice here, I do work as a developer myself so I might not be your average fool of the street. But when someone comes to your support forum, saying things like -I have a problem with your product, you should not say things like -That's your fault. You should say things like, -Yes, we are aware of that problem and has been for quite some time, but have not managed to solve it. That way the customer ( that would be me ) would go by his ways at least not worse off.

What you should not do is blame the user. Period. Bad, bad, just bad for business.

I realize the moderators of this forum are not in anyway affiliated with Evernote and definitely not the developer team, but please oh please.

If you tout you have a note taking app/suite/whathaveyou, maybe just maybe, you should educate yourselves what a line ending is and see to it that copying text from a note, what most people would think is the very core of note taking software, is functioning as it should.

I realize I come off sounding like a very bitter person, but I am really not. What I am though, is surprised how some companies support forums are run. But that is another discussion, and not something to continue here.

You have a nice evening, and try to think a little about what I said and I will take your words into consideration.

Archived