OldGrantonian

Importing a list from CSV file

146 posts in this topic

I've used Personal Knowbase for many years, so I have many Knowbase notes.

Does anyone know whether it's easy to convert these notes to Evernote?

Hello;

I have decided to switch from Toodledo to Evernote,but I have a rather large problem.

I have hundreds of notes in my Toodledo notebook and I want to import them into my evernote notebook.

Toodledo has an export option which exports notes in csv format, but I couldn't find any way to import this csv file into evernote.

please help me in this situation as my notes in Toodledo are very important and critical for me.

Regards;

Shahram

Evernote does not import csv files.

Plus, it's not a to-do manager, although some people have been able to tweak it for their use.

I don't want to import Toodledo's To-dos , as you may already know Toodledo has also a simple notebook and I want to import my notes from that notebook.

The answer that BurgersNFries gave still holds: Evernote isn't able to import CSV format, at least directly. A third-party application might not be hard to make, as CSV is not hard to parse; a converter to .enex files (Evernote format) seems feasible.

~Jeff

Hi.

I'm having the same problem.

Just subscribed to Evernote Premium and want to import all 107 Notes from Toodledo.

Do you know if a converter from csv to .enex allready exists?

Regards, Carsten

A good intermediary would be a tool that converts CSV to HTML (tables). You might be able to import that directly. Tables definitely ARE supported - with some restrictions on tag case etc. If you can't import it directly someone could wrap the HTML to produce a .enex file.

Just a thought.

Martin

FWIW, 55 lines of Python code (half of which was boilerplate strings and quite a bit more was comments and whitespace) got me a .enex built with an HTML table populated from CSV.

I suspect the actual requirement is 1 note per CSV row. (I didn't build that as my need is 1 table, if anything.)

So, I conclude it's easy to take a CSV and turn it into whatever kind of .enex file you want (and use ENScript to import it).

Sadly, I can't share my code - as it would mean jumping through a lot of hoops with my employeer. I just wanted to see if it could be done. And Python's CSV handling made it easy.

Martin

Hi Martin,

thank you for your idea with Python.

I've got a super fast answer from Evernote Support how to create some Excel macros to create Evernote compatible files.

I will try it tomorrow and if I get the permission I will post it here in the forum.

Regards, Carsten

@NX70 Excellent, Carsten (if you'll pardon the pun). I'd like to try those out on OpenOffice Spreadsheet and see if they'll work. (I've not written an OOS macro so it'll be an interesting exercise anyway.)

Martin

"

Print #1, .Cells(iRow, "B").Value & "

Link : "

Print #1, .Cells(iRow, "C").Value

Print #1, "

"

Print #1, .Cells(iRow, "E").Value

Print #1, "

Thank you for this article. I am trying to make the macro as described. I have open office. Will that work? Or do I actually have to use Excel. So far I cant get it to work.

Thanks again.

Klem

@klem67 Despite being an OpenOffice,org user I've never written any OO.o macros but I would observe that this looks like particularly simple logic that could be adapted - so long as there's a function to write to a file.

(If I had time and energy now - being 8 hours west of home - I'd try it myself. As I'm not far south of Evernote HQ perhaps I should go visit them.) :-)

Martin

Hello,

I emailed Evernote Support and with their method all my information is in the body of the new notes. I can't specify tags, created date or title. I would really appreciate it if anyone has any insight.

They sent me the following:

"Advanced" method for CSV Importing

This script is provided as-is, with no additional support. Feel free to login and post to the Evernote Forum at http://forum.evernote.com should you require further assistance in customization.

In Excel, create the following Macro (you will need to turn on the Developer tab - search Google for information on how to do that):

Option Explicit Sub testme01() Dim iRow As Long Close #1 With ActiveSheet For iRow = 1 To .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row Open "c:\my documents\excel\test\" & iRow & ".txt" For Output As #1 Print #1, .Cells(iRow, "A").Value Print #1, .Cells(iRow, "B").Value Close #1 Next iRow End With End Sub

Change the filepath to a real one on your computer - best make it a new directory or you'll have 3000 files sitting somewhere you don't want them to be.

If you want all of the columns (or some of them) in a row to appear on the same line, you can rewrite it to be like this:

Print #1, .Cells(iRow, "A").Value & .Cells(iRow, "B").Value If you have 20 columns, just keep adding another "Print" line per Column letter, like: Print #1, .Cells(iRow, "C").Value Print #1, .Cells(iRow, "D").Value Print #1, .Cells(iRow, "E").Value Or, you can get fancy, if they all have the same header info format, and make them html, like: Close #1 With ActiveSheet For iRow = 2 To .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row Open "c:\my documents\excel\test\" & iRow & ".html" For Output As #1 Print #1, "<html> <head> " Print #1, .Cells(iRow, "B").Value & "<br /><br />Link : <a href=""" Print #1, .Cells(iRow, "D").Value Print #1, """>" Print #1, .Cells(iRow, "C").Value Print #1, " </a> <br/> <br /> <br /> " Print #1, .Cells(iRow, "E").Value Print #1, "" Close #1 Next iRow End With End Sub

(You'll need to alter this one based on your content - if you don't have a Source URL, you wouldn't need to create a hyperlink, for example.)

You can then go to Tools->Folder Import (Windows) to point to the directory of the files (after they've been created) or you can simply drag the folder of files (Mac) onto a Notebook Name in the left-hand Notebook pane, and Evernote will pick them up to import them as individual notes.

Here is a sample file that includes the Macro to help you get started.

More Advanced: You can also choose to export an existing note to .enex format, and examine the format of the file, then alter this macro to output individual .enex files. If you do that, you can use the Evernote File->Import for Evernote files.

Alternately, you can attempt to use the following script created by one of our users:

http://markstout.blogspot.com/2009/08/scripting-evernote-in-windows.html

Hope this helps!

Big Thanks,

Pavel

There is no way to specify tags or alter the created date when using import folders or when dragging files into EN. However, you can specify what notebook each import folder should send the file(s) to. When using an import folder, the note title is defaulted to the file name. If you need more info on import folders, please search the board.

If you choose to use the enex method, I think tags are assigned upon import, if you've assigned them to each note in the enex file.

Today I threw down for an annual subscription upgrade after being extremely impressed with Evernote. Unfortunately I did this before I learned there is currently no way to import the four years worth of notes I have created in Notespark. This is a HUGE disappointment. I never suspected this would be an issue.

I really hope there are plans to address this issue. If not, I'll be cancelling the subscription because there is no way I have time to use two note programs, even if I am just using one for search purposes. PLEASE someone tell me this is going to happen soon...

thanks,

- r

1 person likes this

There are a few ways out there to import from .csv into Evernote. Contact Support via my signature and we'll help you out.

1 person likes this

Thanks, Heather. However I did contact customer support yesterday and was told it isn't possible to do it, and that I should just import it as a .pdf. Importing four years worth of notes as a .pdf isn't a viable option. If there is a particular person I can contact that would be much more helpful...

There are a few ways out there to import from .csv into Evernote. Contact Support via my signature and we'll help you out.

Can you post your ticket number? I'll direct it for you and make sure the agent who told you it wasn't possible is flogged accordingly.

1 person likes this

Can you post your ticket number? I'll direct it for you and make sure the agent who told you it wasn't possible is flogged accordingly.

Aww, I don't want to get them in trouble, I just want a solution :) I actually just submitted a new regular ticket about two minutes ago... # 16051-73460 Thanks Heather!

1 person likes this

I was just looking over today's tickets, and noticed that this was another successful import story for our team. Yay!

1 person likes this

good job!

might want to put something on website so people know it is possible. i bet a lot of people never join the forums and certainly don't think to ask.

It's true!! I'm very pleased with the outcome. Thanks to Heather and Allan who really went above and beyond to help me!

And I agree with Mr. GrumpyMonkey, it seems like something that would be useful for others in the knowledge base, yes?

Three cheers for Evernote's awesome customer service team!

I just got Evernote and also need to import all my notes from Notespark. There's no info about doing this on the website that I can find.

I also need to import from notespark. I am really surprised there isn't a csv import. It seems so basic, I had assumed it was there. I appreciate that we can get help from support but most of us would perfer to do it oursleves. Is there a way? Can nyone that has gone through it give us the steps?