(Archived) populating the address book in evernote

Well what say you write a note, right click, share>email pop up window, icon for address?????

Then you type or paste the address(es). Unless the Mac client allows you to pull from your contacts. But like I said, EN does not have an address book.

• Level 5*

Click share on the note you want to email and start to type, Evernote will autocomplete from your Mac Address Book. Click the Address book icon on the 'email' and select who you want to send it to.

There is no need to do any sort of sync.

Click share on the note you want to email and start to type, Evernote will autocomplete from your Mac Address Book. Click the Address book icon on the 'email' and select who you want to send it to.

There is no need to do any sort of sync.

This sound super, BUT are you saying that there is an Address book icon on the Windows client, if you click on the E-mail icon?? I just don't see it.

Regards,

David in Wichita

Hi Everyone for the non-mac users this is a screenshot of the behaviour when a note is sent via email from evernote

AddressBook.png

The problem I am experiencing is that it is not connecting to my email client on my mac whereas my friends does. The behaviour of populating the address by autocomplete does not work with me. I have to go back into my notes and cut and copy the address each time.

Ok so no-one else has this problem I am assuming

I am hoping that this is a major problem across both mac and windows. It is a real pain to go to your address book, cut the E-mail address, go back to EN, and paste it into the note you would like to send. I am with you, one should be able to type in the first several character of a name and it will pop into the To: ________ spot!

Regards,

David in Wichita

Gday guys,

As a newbie to evernote, this is the one thing I have noticed when I have gone to share a note with someone...I had to know their address in order to be able to send it, it didn't sync with my email. This is the one question I was going to ask when I finally got my forum joining glitch sorted out! So I'm really glad I am not the only one who wants this feature. Perhaps you could ask your friend what she did to get the window populated with her addresses? I am using Windows and an iphone.

• Level 5*

When you Share a note via email in EN Mac, Evernote looks in your Mac Address Book for possible matches. Just start typing the either the name or email address, and Evernote will search your Mac Address Book.

If Evernote does not find your contact, you can add new contacts by going to Mac Applications > Address Book.app

I don't use the Mac Mail/Contacts/Address Book. I use MS Outlook 2011. I wish Evernote would provide an option of where to look for your contacts.

• 2 weeks later...

This worked for me: Preferences => Security & Privacy => Tab "Privacy" => Contacts. If Evernote not ticked, tick. Restart Evernote.

Which browser are you using, with the above information? Firefox does not seem to have this information.

David in Wichita

It isn't a browser option. It is a mac os option. (appears to be specific to Mountain Lion)

See: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5370

So, in rano's solution, Evernote has to be checked in this section before contacts can be used in the mac app.

This worked for me: Preferences => Security & Privacy => Tab "Privacy" => Contacts. If Evernote not ticked, tick. Restart Evernote.

Which browser are you using, with the above information? Firefox does not seem to have this information.

David in Wichita

It isn't a browser option. It is a mac os option. (appears to be specific to Mountain Lion)

See: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5370

So, in rano's solution, Evernote has to be checked in this section before contacts can be used in the mac app.

Thanks spg SCOTT: Been trying to get it to work in Windows for over a year. From your information, I think it will only work on Mac. Appreciated the feedback.

David in Wichita

Hi Everyone for the non-mac users this is a screenshot of the behaviour when a note is sent via email from evernote

AddressBook.png

The problem I am experiencing is that it is not connecting to my email client on my mac whereas my friends does. The behaviour of populating the address by autocomplete does not work with me. I have to go back into my notes and cut and copy the address each time.

I get the same thing on my mac. The address book icon does pull up my contacts list.

• Level 5*

I get the same thing on my mac. The address book icon does pull up my contacts list.

I see the same window allowing selection of recipient from the contacts in my Mac AddressBook.

I'm running Mac OS X Lion (10.7.5).

• 5 months later...

The work around I use to email pdf images is to open the image using Preview (for Mac users) (right click the file and select "open with" and then "preview") and then email the note from preview.  This way I am using my mail application which autocompletes email addresses from my address book. 

I hope this helps some.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's my work around. I simply exported my email contacts in the vCard (.vcf) format, and beat Evernote at it's own game... By pasting the addresses from a word processor, and then copying that, into an Evernote 'Note'. After that, I just dragged the sucker up to the 'quick access bar.

Works For Me. LOL

• 3 months later...

my WIN 7 populates on the WEB client version of EN.

but I use my desktop version 99% of the time:

2 ways I made access to my email addresses - both when completed, I drag the notes with those addresses to the "Quick access bar" as described by Frizzell9.

I use google mail - so these are the instructions for that client (others may be similar i hope)

and I will say stop right now - as this does not populate the mail feature, but does give you a semi-reasonable way to mail.

method 1)  using the print email contacts option

open google mail

open your contacts

click on more

choose print

choose (what you want - my choice was "all" contacts)

a printout preview will appear

select ALL  (Ctrl A is the easiest method)

now all info will be highlighted

Copy (Ctrl C)

***** now you can go to EN and paste in a new note (Ctrl V)  and give it a name***** you now have a list of your email addresses

this method looks nice and the note can be edited so you can add or change info

-----Now here is the kicker, it pastes the info in text mode only - you would have to open the note and copy the email address manually then paste in the

EN mail (To:) box when prompted under share email ----

a work around to this, including the same for method 2 coming up is to email that list to your client - for me I emailed the note with the text mode to my gmail account.

when it goes there -- Gmail recognizes it as email addresses, then I sent it back to EN at my EN email address and it comes back in HTML (where the email addresses are now links you can click on and your email client will start up)....

But that is an outside email client - not the onboard EN email - so - save one note to the quick bar with text only, so you can copy and paste an address in the EN mail (To:) box

and or another note on the quick bar with the active links, those links will open outlook or gmail (or whatever you have set as your computer email client)

to send emails.

You must use the "Copy URL" button -, which you would have to paste in the client you use. then send the email.

My quick bar notes are called (emails w/links) and (email w/o links)

Method 2  CSV

choose to export your email addresses in CSV

with WIN 7 

click on Start

on the right side of the pop up menu is my personal folder (mine is the name of my computer or the present user)

click on that

then open "contacts"  - (this folder is in the current users folder)

on tool bar above--- with a full open window choose "Export"

choose CSV

then click browse and give it a name and where you want to save it

then it request what info to save - choose what you want - it can be a complete all info list - or just the emails ( what I suggest at this point)

okay "Save" it

now open it - with excel or other spreadsheet program

then "select" all of the fields by dragging your pointer and getting all the info ( i suggest just getting the names and emails as suggested above)

when they are highlighted and you are satisfied - Copy (Ctrl C)

then paste into a new note in EN

they are in text only mode again - want the active links? then use the method listed in red above....

again if you want it in text mode for cutting and pasting then just make a quick note that way - if you don't mind using another email client to mail a

copied url then use the other active email link way.

---- Now guess what ?- you can just make a quick note with a link to the EN Web client and go there and email your stuff, because for some reason that populates the email (To:) box....

-- I have Outlook tied into my Gmail account as a POP3 - so when I click on an active link email address it opens Outlook with that persons email in a ready to send message, I still have to paste the "Copied Url" in the text box, and send it on its way.

-- I also have a filter on my Gmail account - so when someone replies to that email I sent this way, (as it is sent from my Gmail acct via that active link thru outlook)

the filter will recognize the word "Evernote" in the message and send a copy of the email to my evernote account..... (remember the copied url will have the word "evernote" attached)

that is a filter, to do this, you will have to set up a filter on gmail, under settings...

so after all that - it would seem to me Evernote would see the difficulty of using the desktop client and email integration when using Win7.

I hope they make this much easier, as I know I prefer the desktop client vs the web based client.

and if they have please disregard all the above and buy me a few beers! - i need a few after this. (then tell me what I am missing and how to get it)

peace out -  :D

--MD

Archived