gfroese

Would you please add independent proxy configuration settings to your apps?

Idea

I'd like to be able to proxy Evernote separately from the IE proxy settings.

I simply am turning proxy connections on/off all the time and need Evernote to have its own specific set of proxy options.

Any plans to do this?

• Like 1

Please add a proxy option to evenote desktop client. I can connect to the evernote web client via a proxied firefox, but the os proxy is locked.

Same here. Additionally IE uses another proxy which requires certificate-trust changes, which Evernote seems to fail on.

https://www.evernote.com/Login.action works fine in IE, but not with Evernote desktop app.

A seperate proxy feature would be nice. Right now I have to turn auto sync'ing off. When I want to sync I go to IE setup a proxy that can hit Evernote's servers, hit sync in evernote, then reverse it so I can continue my work within IE on yet another proxy/vpn.

I didn't use to have this problem until I built a new computer. Like the earlier post, I don't use IE. I mainly use Firefox. I also use plenty of other cloud based applications-- iCloud, DropBox, toodledo, teamworkPM, etcetera. They all work fine with no IE, or IE in "offline mode."

This is an issue Evernote should fix.0

Evernote users should not be required to do a registry repair just to use the product. Seriously.

Evernote fits a great niche in cloud computing, and I've grown to adopt some of the trunk applications, but this annoying pop up window about IE seems ludicrous. Virtually no other cloud program I use has this "problem," and it is a problem.

I sincerely hope this is taken care of in a future release-- after all, it can't be that difficult a fix, can it?

BTW, I never set IE to offline mode, the only time I ever used it was to download Firefox.

thanks,

Daniel O'Connell

• Like 1

The problem here is that ArthurC has used the wrong method for blocking Internet Explorer, that's all.

IE sets the Windows-wide proxy setting and uses that setting when it connects to the internet. Evernote is doing eveything exactly right in this case, you would absolutely want Evernote to use the Windows-wide proxy setting.

To stop IE from accessing the internet, block iexplore.exe in your firewall settings. Changing the Windows global proxy settings is absolutely the wrong way to do it, and will break a lot of software, not just Evernote.

I'm by no means an expert, but I believe Internet Explorer is in some way tied to your overall Internet Settings. To quote the article you linked to, "there's no satisfactory way of removing it completely without risking crippling Windows itself." I don't think we use Internet Explorer itself, but rather the settings/configurations.

I know that if you set Internet Explorer to Offline Mode, you get a sync issue with Evernote as well. I can talk to the folks around here, but I haven't heard of any way around this.

It is not true that there's no way around this. I use Chrome as my browser. When IE is in offline mode, Chrome still works fine. But Evernote refuses to sync. Why is it that EN fails when Chrome works fine? It's because EN developers used the wrong API for their internet coding -- they used something that relies on IE, rather than using an API independent of IE like the Chrome developers did.

Firefox also works when IE is in offline mode. So they did it right too. Since Firefox is open source, all EN has to do is look a their code and do the same thing. But they persist in using the wrong approach to internet access on Windows even after this bug has been complained about for years.

Apparently nobody at EN uses Windows on portable computer, or you'd realize what a big deal this is. EVERY time you launch IE and then later disconnect your computer from the network (as I do many times a day, carrying my computer around with me), IE puts itself into offline mode (even if it's just sitting in the background). Then if you later close IE -- as I would normally do, since I mainly use Chrome -- IE is permanently in offline mode. And even though you are back on the network, EN will never sync again. Ever. until you remember to re-launch the browser you don't like to use for the sole purpose of putting it back in on-line mode. It took me forever to figure out this workaround. for people who don't figure it out, EN will simply never sync again for them. I'm shocked that you can keep a bug like this in your software -- and even more shocked that your programmers apparently think there is no fix for it, when it's obvious that most other software (Chrome, etc.) does not have this bizarred dependency on IE.

Hmm... I don't have that experience at all, so perhaps I'm missing something. I have a windows laptop that I carry into meetings. It connects and disconnects to our network. I've put it on both the wireless and wired networks. I also switch between using IE, Chrome and Firefox and it has never gone into offline mode. There are other employees that have Windows machines and I don't think they've run into this issue either... Perhaps...

(Pause for Googling)

Actually, I think you might have Internet Explorer set to be in Offline Mode by default, which is why it keeps going into offline mode and requiring that unusual work around. But that is just a guess. Perhaps these two articles would be of use to you: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/195730 & http://support.microsoft.com/kb/180946 But again, I'm not an expert.

Regarding the right vs wrong API for our "internet coding" I'll talk to the team, but it may not be as simple as that. If you have specific API suggestions, I'm happy to pass them to them along.

Thanks but those links don't address the problem.  You say you have a laptop you carry into meetings.  But presumably every time the machine is on (not closed not asleep) it is able to access the internet because you are in your building, where there is wifi.

Do you ever turn on your machine or use it in a place where there is no internet?  If not, then you are not experiencing what thousands of business travelers do on a regular basis (on planes, in customer offices, on subways, in cabs, in the park, etc).  This is not related to IE "startup" mode.  What happens is this: when you use your computer where there is no internet available, if you have IE open in the background, IE will pop up a dialog that says something like "internet unavailable. Use Explorer offline?"  If you say "OK" it goes into offline mode.  If you say "No" if closes IE and... goes into offline mode.  

When this happens to me, I generally close IE.

Then I get back to my office, my home, or somewhere with internet.  IE is closed and still in "offline mode".  Chrome works fine.  Firefox works fine.  Everything works fine EXCEPT EVERNOTE.  The only way to get Evernote to work again is to launch IE and surf to a web page.  This puts it in online mode, and now, inexplicably, Evernote works.  

I'm surprised nobody at EN cares about this.  And I urge you to add this incredibly common use case to your testing, since you are obviously not testing it: Use your laptops on a regular basis in places where there is no internet.  

So to start with this was going to be a help request, but the submit button wouldn't work and I could not get my request to submit.  Not sure if that too is caused by the proxy at my office.  Also, I noticed most of the items on the Evernote Support page were not loading correctly. I'd do a search through the Evernote knowledge base and I would get weird message.  I have attached a screenshot of this message when searching the knowledge base for "proxy".

Pretty frustraing. It might be just my proxy, but this is webpage and really shouldn't be having issues like this.  Pretty easy to deal with support requests when the button to submit them is broken...

Anyway, on to my issue.

I've read through the other forum posts and I understand the Evernote proxy works by mimicing the IE proxy settings. I can get Evernote to sync at my office through our proxy using this method.  The one thing that screws it up is trying to download updates to Evernote through this connection.  As soon as I try to download an update, it hangs for about 20 seconds and then says that it cannot connect to the Evernote Servers. Then I lose my capability to sync my notebooks until I open IE and load a page. 

This whole problem seems like it would be easily fixed if you just integrated a proxy tool into Evernote.  Per the forums this has been going on for at least a year now.  Dropbox does it, Skype does it, I don;'t really see what is so difficult about offering that sort of upgrade.

Has anyone else been having this issue with installing the updates or getting access to the Knowledgebase / submitting a support request here: http://evernote.com/contact/support/

post-136256-0-17662200-1369768998_thumb.

• Like 1

Just to make your day even better,  there is a known bug with the support link if you type too much detail..  try another support request referencing your post here and you should get through..

Can't comment about proxies - it's another of those 'easy fixes' of which Evernote seems to have a shedload waiting attention...

Proxy is definitely needed.

I am unable to get to this site even without a proxied browser. I cannot use modify the PC proxy config because then I can't access intranet sites, so foxyproxy in firefox is needed on a domain by domain basis

I am also having the exact same problem on Windows 7 64 bit.

Internet explorer goes to offline mode automatically when I logout from windows. Next time I logon to my computer and want evernote to sync, it will refuse and complain that internet explorer is in offline mode. I then have to launch IE, set it to online mode, close it, and go back to evernote to sync.

Doing this repeatedly is extremely irritating... I know people who migrated to other services after their patience was tested over and over again.

I am suprised this has not been fixed yet.

I will add my own experience of this very same occurrence. I recently had to switch my desktop computer's internet connection from wired to wireless. I'm running Windows 7 (32-bit) on it, with Internet Explorer 10 installed, even though I don't use it as my browser.

After switching to the wireless connection, the first time I started Evernote and tried to sync it, I received the message about Internet Explorer being offline. I thought the whole premise, and the message itself, were ludicrous! After I opened Internet Explorer and performed a couple of web searches on it, I could see that this browser that I never use was back online. And Evernote was able to sync again.

All this time, Google Chrome and all my other web services were working just fine. Only Evernote had the bizarre problem.

Evernote is a great, invaluable product and service, but after seeing how many others have had this same issue, I must add my voice to theirs: please remove this weird dependency on Internet Explorer.

• Like 1

The problem here is that ArthurC has used the wrong method for blocking Internet Explorer, that's all.

IE sets the Windows-wide proxy setting and uses that setting when it connects to the internet. Evernote is doing eveything exactly right in this case, you would absolutely want Evernote to use the Windows-wide proxy setting.

To stop IE from accessing the internet, block iexplore.exe in your firewall settings. Changing the Windows global proxy settings is absolutely the wrong way to do it, and will break a lot of software, not just Evernote.

Qot,

Can you provide some expert sources for your thesis -- i.e., the idea that I'm protecting my computer from Internet Explorer data leaks the wrong way, and should rely on a firewall to block IE instead?

A dummy proxy seems like a much more sure solution. When I set up the dummy proxy, all traffic stopped immediately and permanently. As would be expected unless somebody specifically wrote spyware to overrule the dummy proxy setting for a particular browser. I've never heard of that happening.

Firewalls, in sharp contrast, are often disabled for minutes or hours or days at a time -- by user error, by firewall or OS bugs, or by spyware. The problem with this situation is that if spyware is trying to upload all of your private data to its mothership, even one internet session with your firewall down would permit all of that data to escape.

That's why common sense suggests that it's safer to remove -- or physically disable -- software, than to rely entirely on a firewall to block its activity.

Given what is at stake for Windows premium customers with strong data security concerns, I'm kind of hoping that Evernote staff will contribute to this thread.

I'm hugely appreciative of Evernote. It's the best software I've ever relied on -- by a landslide. I love, and believe in, the "hundred year company" concept. But... I can't afford enormous risks to the security of my hard disk's contents for any software -- no matter how wonderful it is.

Thanks,

Art

P.S. I also tried doing it your way --  by setting up a rule to prevent iexplore.exe outbound traffic, in Windows Firewall. But it didn't seem to work at all. Instead, Internet Explorer continued to communicate bidirectionally over the internet -- e.g., it continued to allow me to send data via webmail portals, type info into forms, etc. (Did Microsoft build in an exception for its own software, to allow IE to continue to function, no matter what?)

The same to me. Please create proxy configurantion to desktop app. Please! Please! Please! ;-)

PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE, add the ability to configure a proxy connection option.

Many users use VPN or tunnel specific information through proxies.  Using the operating system default connection is not enough in many cases.

I no longer have Webclipper on my Internet Explorer (version 10) browser. I wanted to clip a confirmation because it prints out too tiny. Went to Evernote site to download Webclipper for IE and all the other browsers had a download hyperlink (even Opera) but not Explorer. I can use Firefox and Chrome but I was in IE and couldn't clip the page. Whazzzzup?

We use the operating system's default settings, typically configured via the Internet Options dialog in Internet Explorer; we don't store or maintain our own separate proxy configuration. If you're able to connect to the Evernote web client via Internet Explorer, I believe you should be able to connect via the Windows client as well.

This doesn't work with an HTTP proxy which a lot of enterprises use. The proxy must be configured on a per app basis unless Evernote were using the IE Internet Options/Connections LAN Settings properties, which you are apparently not.

I can connect to Evernote via my browsers, because I can set the proxy in them. The Evernote desktop app also appears to sync.

My problem is with the Atlas, Market & Premium tabs on the desktop app which tell me I'm not connected to the Internet.

post-140564-0-74387700-1385426896_thumb.

post-140564-0-09628400-1385426902_thumb.

** bump **

I use Evernote at work where IE is hardcoded to use an autoproxy. I get around this by installing Firefox and configuring it to not use a proxy - then I have no issues accessing the Evernote web portal.

However, the windows Evernote client still uses the IE settings and I am unable to run sync. I changed Firefox (with no proxy) to be my default browser. But even then Evernote still uses the IE settings and sync doesn't go through.

Ideally I should be able to configure proxy settings in the Evernote client itself. If that's not feasible then Evernote should as a minimum use the settings of the PC's default browser.

Is there a way around this? Please help.

I use Evernote at work where IE is hardcoded to use an autoproxy. I get around this by installing Firefox and configuring it to not use a proxy - then I have no issues accessing the Evernote web portal.

However, the windows Evernote client still uses the IE settings and I am unable to run sync. I changed Firefox (with no proxy) to be my default browser. But even then Evernote still uses the IE settings and sync doesn't go through.

Ideally I should be able to configure proxy settings in the Evernote client itself. If that's not feasible then Evernote should as a minimum use the settings of the PC's default browser.

Is there a way around this? Please help.

The only safe way round this would be for Evernote to have its own proxy settings, it can't really be expected to work out how every web browser sets its proxy.

The IE settings are really global internet settings in Windows, even Chrome uses these and doesn't have its own proxy configuration. I think it's appropriate that Evernote uses them even though it's not always useful such as in this case.

Presumably your employer has a policy about what its employees are and aren't allowed to access which is why they've configured a proxy. Obviously this isn't done very well or they'd use a transparent proxy instead to prevent you from working around it with another browser. Perhaps they'd be amenable to a request to allow access to Evernote? Unfortunately I don't think there's any workaround here.

• Like 2

The only safe way round this would be for Evernote to have its own proxy settings, it can't really be expected to work out how every web browser sets its proxy.

The IE settings are really global internet settings in Windows, even Chrome uses these and doesn't have its own proxy configuration. I think it's appropriate that Evernote uses them even though it's not always useful such as in this case.

Presumably your employer has a policy about what its employees are and aren't allowed to access which is why they've configured a proxy. Obviously this isn't done very well or they'd use a transparent proxy instead to prevent you from working around it with another browser. Perhaps they'd be amenable to a request to allow access to Evernote? Unfortunately I don't think there's any workaround here.

In that case, I can only hope that Evernote will support some level of proxy configuration in the future. Thanks for your reply.

I guess you can make your life easy and just use a one click to connect application after choosing the server you want to connect through different european servers.

Edited by GrumpyMonkey
Link removed.

Yes yes yes, please put a proxy configuration in Evernote. It is very strange to me that you dont have this option already, especially discovering that your users are asking for this feature for more than 4 or 5 years !

All relevant network based software are using this feature and for a developer it's actually very easy to implement :

add a dialog :

[  ] Use system proxy settings (See internet options)

[X] Manual proxy settings  [               ]  Port: [    ]

then in your network object from your favorite programming language, it's usually totally embedded you just have to pass the parameters.

After if you dont want to support .PAC files, automatic proxy settings pushed from network and so on : we dont really care, just the possibility to "overload" the standard IE settings. Indeed in corporate environments we want to use IE with local intranets but Evernote through a tunnel proxy for example (with Putty or simply an existing corporate proxy for external use)

And I'm a premium user but I dont think that 's really important ;)

+1, we rly rly need a proxy configuration and HTTPS in Evernote!

+1 for this feature. I'd like to be able to route Evernote sync through Tor, similiar to the Twitter app.

+1

Someone metioned Chrome, but even Chrome allows to use a different proxy by specifying "--proxy-server" or "--proxy-pac-url" parameter in the command line.

evernote staffs are so proud of their brains that they only give users functions  what they want to give.

there are two long term questions they never want to do:

1.local passcode

they said: oh,you can use window's login ( dont mind if your wife or kids or friends watching your notes)

2.proxy

they said:  oh,you can always use system's proxy configuration.

EVERNOTE IS EVERNOTE'S PRODUCT.

BurgersNFries, on 10 Dec 2013 - 10:59 PM, said:snapback.png

The same could be said about users who seem to think because they want something, Evernote should give it to them. Or users who can't accept the fact that maybe, just maybe, Evernote has discussed said feature & either put a low priority on it (for whatever reasons - time/resources (translate: engineer hours), other/more pressing priorities, etc) or totally nixed the idea altogether.

Ok but personnally (and surely a lot of us) dont want to insult Evernote engineers or bother them with weird features (which could be cool but only appeal to nerds) and I dont want them to be stuck on this feature because the discussion got a lot of heat and they're blocked for that reason.

To quote BurgersnFries I understand the engineer's planning, priorities and hours, I'm an engineer and an IT project manager myself. Of course if we have to wait, we wait, the thing is :

- the demand of this feature has been first raised many years ago. In internet terms it's almost the "Jurassic" period :)

- the demand is quick to implement. I'm not working for Evernote so obviously I dont know the inside but I have sufficient IT development knowledge to know that it doesnt need more than say a few days at worst including testing and release.

- most if not all of the significant and successful pieces of software that include similar connection to a server implements this kind of feature (and had them for a long time).

So please Evernote, we dont want to piss you off, maybe you had good reasons to reject this demand years ago, but please reconsider it. That will ease the use for a lot of persons blocked at work.

Kudooooooos to every engineer on the planet !

+1 ..

need evernote to work in enterprise networks .. where proxys are quite common ...

• Like 1

+1000

not just proxy config but authenticated proxy options.  I have to enter a UN and password to access the internet via our enterprise (10K employees) proxy.

Talk about limiting your market by not having these settings.... 

This is the main reason I haven't paid for Evernote Premium.  I can't use Evernote at work because of firewall settings. If proxy support were added, I'd pay for Premium immediately. 

Still no independent proxy, it's a shame that Evernote neglects this feature for so long. Why will I pay for a service that I can't use everywhere?

+1, users from China can't use Evernote due to the lack of proxy configuration.

please add this configuration.

+1, the connection from China to evernote is very unstable (blame to The Great Firewall),  so we desperately need an independent proxy configuration, please.

+1

This is a feature that I really need.

It's a make or break for me.

The Windows desktop application is great, but unless independent network / proxy settings are provided, I'm going to have to abandon Evernote.

This is the only feature that I would pay for.

If you want to offer it to subscription clients, that would be great.

Moved to Evernote Feature Request subforum, so forum-goers can spare us their "+1"s and just upvote the feature.

I wounder if this will ever happen. Back in the days when Skitch was an extra app it had this feature. Since years now Skitch is part of Evernote but the proxy feature didn't make it over.

So I guess it's not there will, for what reason ever. Very sad!