gfroese

Would you please add independent proxy configuration settings to your apps?

Idea

I'd like to be able to proxy Evernote separately from the IE proxy settings.

I simply am turning proxy connections on/off all the time and need Evernote to have its own specific set of proxy options.

Any plans to do this?

• Like 1

Could not figure out why the most recent version of Evernote Beta would not syncrhonize properly until I realize it was trying to use the proxy I had running. There is no where in Evernote, as far as I can tell, to enable/disable it from using a proxy.

I'd like to second the addition of code to be able to set a proxy in the Evernote client. I use Evernote on my work laptop connected via VPN to my corp network. The corp network will not allow syncing to the evernote server, it's blocked. I do use a private proxy for getting outside the corp walled garden so I'd like to be able to configure Evernote to use a SOCKS proxy that I have running locally.

Thank you

We are investigating ways to make Evernote work with corporate proxies and firewalls. Could you look at this post, and perhaps try to run the test tool that I link there?

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5861#p26484

Thanks

I'd like to second the addition of code to be able to set a proxy in the Evernote client. I use Evernote on my work laptop connected via VPN to my corp network. The corp network will not allow syncing to the evernote server, it's blocked. I do use a private proxy for getting outside the corp walled garden so I'd like to be able to configure Evernote to use a SOCKS proxy that I have running locally.

Thank you

Not sure if this can help you, but you can try Hummingbird SOCKS client (http://connectivity.hummingbird.com/pro ... index.html) which should transparently route your network traffic through the SOCKS proxy of your choice.

I have to access Internet through a proxy, and set wifi proxy in iPhone successfully, and not I can access Internet with safari. But when running Evernote it said synchronization failed due toan error communicating with the Evernote servers. How to fix this? Many thanks.

Can you log in to our web site from mobile Safari on the same phone without any errors?

I believe I have the same issue. I am trying to use the latest version of Evernote in the app store through an http proxy. Mobile Safari works fine, even on the Evernote mobile site but the application will not sync. If I go to settings within the application it sends me to a blank screen that appears to be trying to load something but never does. If I use the "Open in Safari" button, it loads the settings page fine.

i take it that this is a problem when accessing evernote through wifi. are you having similar problems when accessing it using the cellular network?

Hi

I'm having similar problems, I have to access the internet through wifi at my place of work (there is no phone signal), for this I have to go through an http and https proxy. When using my macbook the evernote desktop application works and syncs perfectly. However using the iphone with exact same settings, and the iphone evernote app fails to sync. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sam

Hi

I've just moved to a new work place, I have evernote set up on my macbook which I use in work connected to their network.

I have http and https proxy settings set up in my network system preferences, that allowed me to access the network. When I first arrived here, about two weeks ago evernote desktop client was syncing fine, however over the last 5 days it hasn't been able to sync. I haven't changed the proxy settings, but I have upgraded to Snow leopard.

Does anyone know how I could get the syncing working again?

Thanks

Sam

Could you try installing the RC1 of Evernote 1.4.9:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=11682&start=0

If that doesn't work, try synchronizing manually and then run the Mac "Console" application and copy the last dozen "Evernote" lines you see there.

I tried running the release candidate, however it wouldn't even start up, every time I tried to run it, it would crash

The last few line from console are

06/09/2009 16:03:44 [0x0-0x8f08f].com.evernote.Evernote[893] 2009-09-06 16:03:44.004 CrashReporter[898] AFExtenderManager: Extender loaded by path /Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/Frameworks/ILCrashReporter.framework/Resources/CrashReporter.app

06/09/2009 16:03:44 [0x0-0x8f08f].com.evernote.Evernote[893] 2009-09-06 16:03:44.008 CrashReporter[898] AFExtenderManager: checking bundle /Library/Application Support/Promethean/Extenders/iChatTheatreBridge.bundle

06/09/2009 16:03:44 [0x0-0x8f08f].com.evernote.Evernote[893] 2009-09-06 16:03:44.009 CrashReporter[898] AFExtenderManager: checking target identifier com.apple.iChat

06/09/2009 16:03:44 Evernote[893] Safari clipper plugin version is 55537

06/09/2009 16:03:52 Evernote[893] 0 notes need thumbnails

07/09/2009 07:36:05 EvernoteHelper[217] AFExtenderManager: Extender loaded by path /Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/Resources/EvernoteHelper.app

07/09/2009 07:36:05 EvernoteHelper[217] AFExtenderManager: checking bundle /Library/Application Support/Promethean/Extenders/iChatTheatreBridge.bundle

07/09/2009 07:36:05 EvernoteHelper[217] AFExtenderManager: checking target identifier com.apple.iChat

07/09/2009 13:52:40 EvernoteHelper[184] AFExtenderManager: Extender loaded by path /Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/Resources/EvernoteHelper.app

07/09/2009 13:52:40 EvernoteHelper[184] AFExtenderManager: checking bundle /Library/Application Support/Promethean/Extenders/iChatTheatreBridge.bundle

07/09/2009 13:52:40 EvernoteHelper[184] AFExtenderManager: checking target identifier com.apple.iChat

07/09/2009 13:52:45 EvernoteHelper[184] __CFServiceControllerBeginPBSLoadForLocalizations timed out while talking to pbs

Sam

How do you set up a proxy server to use? Evernote does not seem to sync

at work and I suspect it may be because of proxy server is not set correctly.

On Windows, we will use the same proxy settings as Internet Explorer. If you can log in to our web site from IE on your Windows computer without any errors or warnings, then Evernote should be able to sync unless your firewall is very aggressive.

On Mac, we will use the same proxy settings as Safari. If you can log in to our web site from Safari on your Mac without any errors or warnings, then Evernote should be able to sync unless your firewall is very aggressive.

I still haven't resolved this problem. Now I'm trying to connect to the Evernote server with my iPod touch. I get an error when I try to sync. I'm going through an http proxy here at work. It seems to be a problem with the https connection. If I use Safari on the iPod touch to go to https://www.evernote.com I get the login screen but when I enter my info and try to log in, the connection times out. This secure login works fine on a computer using the same proxy server. If I use the "Insecure Login" link in the mobile browser, it works fine.

tlfillin -

Could you run the Configuration Utility to gather more information? (See my reply, above.)

Thanks

I guess I'm going to have to give up. I cannot install the Configuration Utility on this PC because the .Net install fails. Also, I noticed that my Windows desktop Evernote client hasn't been synchronizing because it is getting HTTP timeout. I guess the corporate proxy here has killed everything.

Oh well.

Thanks for your help.

I've got the same problem. My proxy server requires authentication to log in. When I start safari, it requests the username/password, which is now stored in my keychain. Evernote apparently doesn't recognize this protocol. Any ideas?

If you log in to your account via Safari on the web first, and then start Evernote and try to sync while Safari is running, does that work?

We're using the standard OS X networking libraries for HTTP communication, so this is usually handled automatically by the operating system, since we're basically doing the same thing as Safari.

I know this is an old thread but I'd like to add my request for individual proxy control for this app.

I'm a premium member that can't get on at work. I'm not going to pay $60 extra to get a socks client.

I have the same issue. I CAN log in to evernote via IE, but get a sync failed via the desktop app. This is only at my office location. At home, both the web and desktop app work fine.

Is there something else to check to make it work through my firewall at work?

Thanks.

From your Windows client, you can check the SyncLog* files (Tools > Options > Open Log folder) to check the detailed error messages there.

Doug,

OK, I'm having the same problem. It appears that the Evernote iPhone app is not passing proxy authentication logins to the proxy server.

I connect via wireless and Safari works fine. I run the Evernote app and it fails to synchronise and then throws up a dialog for me to log in to the proxy server. I then hit "Synchronise Now" and it once again fails.

If I change the proxy to one of our proxy servers that does not require authentication then it works fine. I'm, of course, forbidden to do this on a regular basis and this does not help others at my University as they don't even know about the secret unauthenticated test server.

I've run the Apple Config utility as mentioned in your tech note - here are the results :-

Wed Jan 20 11:10:50 unknown Evernote[169] : -[EvernoteAppDelegate application:didFinishLaunchingWithOptions:] (null)

Wed Jan 20 11:10:50 unknown Evernote[169] : -[EvernoteApplication initWithUsername:serviceHost:] *************** http://www.evernote.com

Wed Jan 20 11:10:50 unknown Evernote[169] : window.subviews=(\n >,\n >\n)

Wed Jan 20 11:10:52 unknown Evernote[169] : Client name: Evernote iPhone/69284 (en-AU); iPhone/iPhone OS (3.1.2);

Wed Jan 20 11:10:52 unknown Evernote[169] : -[EvernoteApplication syncEngineDidStart:]

Wed Jan 20 11:10:53 unknown Evernote[169] : -[EvernoteApplication downloadURL:toPath:] received invalid response of class: (null)

Wed Jan 20 11:10:53 unknown Evernote[169] : -[ENSyncEngine _handleEDAMCallException:] exception=TTransportException: Unexpected NSURLResponse type: (null)

Wed Jan 20 11:10:53 unknown Evernote[169] : -[ENSyncEngine _handleEDAMCallException:] userInfo=(null)

Wed Jan 20 11:10:53 unknown Evernote[169] : -[EvernoteApplication syncEngine:didFailWithError:] Error Domain=EN_SyncEngine_ErrorDomain Code=-1005 UserInfo=0x480840 "Synchronization failed." {\n NSLocalizedDescription = "Synchronization failed.";\n NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion = "Synchronization failed because of an error communicating with the Evernote servers. Please try again later.";\n exception = TTransportException: Unexpected NSURLResponse type: (null);\n}

Wed Jan 20 11:10:53 unknown Evernote[169] : -[EvernoteApplication syncEngine:didFailWithError:] exception=TTransportException: Unexpected NSURLResponse type: (null)

Wed Jan 20 11:10:53 unknown Evernote[169] : -[EvernoteApplication syncEngineDidFinish:]

Wed Jan 20 11:11:36 unknown Evernote[169] : -[EvernoteApplication syncEngineDidStart:]

Wed Jan 20 11:11:37 unknown Evernote[169] : -[ENSyncEngine _handleEDAMCallException:] exception=TTransportException: Unexpected NSURLResponse type: (null)

Wed Jan 20 11:11:37 unknown Evernote[169] : -[ENSyncEngine _handleEDAMCallException:] userInfo=(null)

Wed Jan 20 11:11:37 unknown Evernote[169] : -[EvernoteApplication syncEngine:didFailWithError:] Error Domain=EN_SyncEngine_ErrorDomain Code=-1005 UserInfo=0x4e1c70 "Synchronization failed." {\n NSLocalizedDescription = "Synchronization failed.";\n NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion = "Synchronization failed because of an error communicating with the Evernote servers. Please try again later.";\n exception = TTransportException: Unexpected NSURLResponse type: (null);\n}

Wed Jan 20 11:11:37 unknown Evernote[169] : -[EvernoteApplication syncEngine:didFailWithError:] exception=TTransportException: Unexpected NSURLResponse type: (null)

Wed Jan 20 11:11:37 unknown Evernote[169] : -[EvernoteApplication syncEngineDidFinish:]

Thanks for the report. I think you're right that we may not correctly support HTTP proxies that require authentication. I'll file this with QA to investigate further.

I have this same issue and I'd really like to know when a fix for both the iPhone and iPad versions might be available. I really like Evernote but this is a showstopper for me since I need access at work through my corporate proxy for the product to be of any real use to me.

Thanks very much

Brad

Same problem here on not only the iPad but my MacBook Pro...only when I'm on my corporate network that uses a proxy.

thanks

On your MacBook, try logging on to your web account using Safari (not Firefox or Chrome) on the same machine. Do you get any errors, warnings, or dialog boxes when you try this from Safari?

Same problem on MacBook Pro - I'm behind a corporate firewall, so I need a proxy settin in the app to sync.

Jason

I spent a couple of days getting a strict, authenticating HTTP proxy set up, and then tested our clients. I found some problems on all of our clients, so filed a bunch of bugs.

I was a bit surprised to see iPhone/iPad usage in that kind of corporate setting, but I guess I shouldn't be.

Thanks for the information

In office, I need use a special proxy server to connect Evernote server, how to set it into evernote software?

Evernote should use the standard Internet settings for Windows. So if you can make Internet Explorer log on successfully to Evernote's web service without any errors or warnings, then Evernote's client should also work.

Evernote should use the standard Internet settings for Windows. So if you can make Internet Explorer log on successfully to Evernote's web service without any errors or warnings, then Evernote's client should also work.

I can't log on Evernote by default internet settings, but by a special settings. So I think I need set it for Evernote client.

What happens if you try to log in to Evernote on the web using Internet Explorer? Does this work?

I have the same problem here - IE is pointed to office proxy that does not allow evernote connections. On v3.5 I changed config to use localhost instead of evernote.com and forwarded ports. On 4.0 there is not such option. I need either configure proxy different from the one used by IE or change server URL and port, how can I do it with v4.0?

We don't have any separate proxy server configuration in Evernote, we just use the one for the OS. You could try changing the Windows Internet settings to point to a different proxy when you sync Evernote, but we don't have our own explicit settings since we rely on the operating system for the main HTTP networking.

Ok then i need to downgrade. Link to 3.5 is removed, could please provide it.

Has this been resolved? I seem to remember a proxy dialog when installing 4.0 but it has lost the proxy settings. I am in an office environment and am unable to use the default IE/OS proxy and need to provide my own.

Has this been resolved? I seem to remember a proxy dialog when installing 4.0 but it has lost the proxy settings. I am in an office environment and am unable to use the default IE/OS proxy and need to provide my own.

We use the operating system's default proxy settings. The only proxy-related dialog that we display is the one we use to gather your credentials (i.e., username and password) when connecting to an authenticating server.

Thanks,

Emerick

Hi, I'm using Evernote on iPad and I have the same problem on our corporate network which does not use authentification. This is the error message I get:

ERROR

The requested URL could not be retrieved

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://localhost:49278/shard/aShard/not ... a699af70b0?

The following error was encountered:

Connection to 127.0.0.1 Failed

The system returned:

(111) Connection refused

The remote host or network may be down. Please try the request again.

Your cache administrator is Please_lodge_amy_issues_through_HelpDesk.

Generated Mon, 24 Jan 2011 23:25:55 GMT by CAM_ProxyFarm (squid/2.6.STABLE6)

Funnily enough when I use the web interface it seems to synchronize, the problem is that I can use the iPad app itself in this environment, which defeats the purpose.

I also lodged this as a help request.

We have identified a problem with the proxy support in iOS that makes it difficult for developers (like Evernote) to support "authenticating" proxies. I.e. if your proxy server requires a username and password, then the standard HTTP networking libraries in iOS don't work correctly. We're investigating options, but it's a bit of a messy situation.

It also seems to be an issue with proxies that are accessed with a certificate loaded on the iPad that has the authentication information embedded in the certificate. From the activity log of such a configuration:

2011-01-25 10:13:10.968 [lvl=2] -[ENSyncEngine applicationDidReceiveMemoryWarning:] NSConcreteNotification 0x69bfd0 {name = UIApplicationDidReceiveMemoryWarningNotification; object = }

2011-01-25 10:13:16.047 [lvl=2] -[ENAppController syncEngine:didFailWithError:] Disabling auto sync due to error: Error Domain=ENSyncEngineErrorDomain Code=-1005 "There was a problem communicating with the secure web proxy server (HTTPS)." UserInfo=0x638b4c0 {NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion=To change your proxy settings, open Network preferences, click Advanced, and then click Proxies. For help with this problem, contact your system administrator., exception=TTransportException: Could not make HTTP request

userInfo = {

error = "Error Domain=kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork Code=310 \"There was a problem communicating with the secure web proxy server (HTTPS).\" UserInfo=0x661f00 {NSErrorFailingURLStringKey=https://www.evernote.com/shard/s1/edam/user, NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion=To change your proxy settings, open Network preferences, click Advanced, and then click Proxies. For help with this problem, contact your system administrator., NSErrorFailingURLKey=https://www.evernote.com/shard/s1/edam/user, NSLocalizedDescription=There was a problem communicating with the secure web proxy server (HTTPS).}";

}, NSLocalizedDescription=There was a problem communicating with the secure web proxy server (HTTPS).}

2011-01-25 10:13:16.072 [lvl=2] -[ENAppController syncEngineDidFinish:]

2011-01-25 10:13:16.074 [lvl=2] -[ENSyncEngine _syncFinished] Sync complete.

2011-01-25 16:13:27.656 [lvl=2] -[ENAppController _setupSharedLogger] ---------------------------------------------------

2011-01-25 16:13:28.006 [lvl=2] -[ENMappedDataCache _mapFile:] -[ENMappedDataCache _mapFile:] /var/mobile/Applications/5FE46C34-7106-47F1-81D2-2D6BF3E87CAA/Library/Caches/www.evernote.com/<****username redacted for forum post*****>/EN10881.thm

2011-01-25 16:13:30.093 [lvl=2] -[ENSyncEngine syncIgnoringNetworkPreference:forcingAuthRefresh:] reachability currentReachabilityStatus=1

2011-01-25 16:13:30.094 [lvl=2] -[ENAppController syncEngineDidStart:]

2011-01-25 16:13:30.134 [lvl=2] -[ENSyncEngine _syncStarted] Sync started.

2011-01-25 16:13:30.218 [lvl=2] -[ENSyncEngine _backgroundSync] Contacting Evernote server...

2011-01-25 16:13:31.192 [lvl=2] -[ENSyncEngine authenticateWithServer] Updating user info...

2011-01-25 16:13:31.291 [lvl=2] -[ENSyncEngine _syncServerChanges] current update count: 13622

2011-01-25 16:13:31.486 [lvl=2] -[ENSyncEngine _syncServerChanges] Upload used from server: 520002

2011-01-25 16:13:31.683 [lvl=2] -[ENSyncEngine(Tags) sendTagChanges] Sending tag changes...

2011-01-25 16:13:31.698 [lvl=2] -[ENSyncEngine(Searches) sendSearchChanges] Sending search changes...

2011-01-25 16:13:31.704 [lvl=2] -[ENSyncEngine(Notebooks) sendNotebookChanges] Sending notebook changes...

2011-01-25 16:13:31.714 [lvl=2] -[ENSyncEngine(Notes) sendNoteChanges] Sending note changes...

2011-01-25 16:13:32.069 [lvl=2] -[ENSyncEngine(Notes) updateServerNoteFromLocalNote:] Syncing note 'Readiness Assessments' [(null)]

The activity around 10:13 were on the WiFi network that uses the certificate loaded on the iPad. The activity around 16:13 is on a home WiFi network.

This iPad works on every other WiFi setup ever tested, and works fine over 3G.

Edit: changed "embedded in password" to "embedded in certificate"

I'm using:

iPad running OS 4.2.1 (8C148)

Evernote version 3.4.2

I am behind a proxy.

When using a proxy which asks for authentication, I get "NSURLErrorDomain error -1012"

When I (sneakily) use the (test) proxy that doesn't require me to authenticate, the log in to Evernote works fine. Synchronisation appears to work as well, However, only the headers (ie., title, tags, and thumbnail) download. I can't view or edit the notes. When I tap a note, the little progress wheel just grinds away.

Based on suggestions & comments elsewhere in these forums:

> I've uninstalled , rebooted, and reinstalled a couple of times, with no change.

> I tried logging in to the EN website from Safari on the iPad. From there, I could view the full note, and edit the headers and tags of notes. Changes appeared in the desktop version after sync there. ( I couldn't edit the note, but a warning did state that Safari likely wouldn't work).

> When I use unproxied wifi, all works as expected.

> The PC version of the EN app has no problem with the regular proxy.

I realise the barrier here is the proxy setup, not the app, but it would be good if the app could synchronise unauthenticated, and *great* if Evernote could use the proxy details stored in the iPad OS.

Hi,

I am at a university which runs a resnet proxy network for connecting to the internet. After recently downloading the evernote app, I have managed to sign into my account through the proxy settings and create notes fine. However if I try to view any notes on the mobile app, I receive a university network communication error on the screen. If I turn off the proxy settings on my phone after logging in, all notes just show a blank white screen. My safari browser works fine with the proxy settings turned on so didnt know if evernote accesses information on a different port or what? Any help would be much appreciated!

Many thanks

Chris

Does your proxy network require a username and password when you first start to access the web from the device? I believe that this can cause problems for our application (and other apps that try to access HTTP). My understanding is that the standard HTTP software calls in iOS don't give the right mechanism for us to get the username and password for the proxy from the user, but I'm a little fuzzy on the details.

Yes a username and password is required to log in when first using the proxy, so this could be the problem then. Do you have any idea if there will be a fix or not as I am enjoying using evernote on my mac and is a pain that it isnt possible to use on my phone as well! Thanks for all your help it is appreciated.

Better authenticated proxy support is a goal, but at the present time you can use Evernote Mobile Web at m.evernote.com via Mobile Safari.

I am working behind a proxy that does NOT need authentication and my symptom on the iPad is, that the notes list and even a thumbnail is being updated, but when i tap the note's thumbnail i get the 'requested url could not be retrieved' error.

In-program websurfing, like the Evernote TRUNK works fine though!

On the Mac, all is fine.

I know, that this proxy only works for http and does NOT want https communication, because we had trouble with this on other programs already.

So I guess Evernote tries to send both http and https via the proxy, if the proxy is configured in the Wifi, right?

So the problem is, that the iOS network does not provide this http<->https distinction, am I correct?

But Evernote could itself try this itself, no? So, for http (like the in-program websurfing) use the proxy, but avoid it for the real note data transfer?

Any progress on this? I submitted a case, and the tech told me "Evernote does not currently support connection via some proxies". Well, I think I already understand that. :lol:

I'm trying to figure out how to make this work and am out of things to try...

-e-

I'm using Evernote 2.0 for Mac. I've turned off syncing due some proxy issues. Currently my IT dept has the required ports blocked. However, my IT department is noticing a large number of authentication failures showing up in their logs whenever Evernote is running on my computer. It appears to still be trying to sync or at least sending some communications (perhaps the ads?). Is there a way to turn whatever communication is happening off?

Can they narrow down the IP addresses that are being hit? If you've disabled automated sync, then it shouldn't be synchronzing (i.e. shouldn't hit www.evernote.com). The client occasionally checks for software updates at update.evernote.com

Other than that, we shouldn't really be hitting anything else. The only unusual exception is if you've clipped some HTML that has external image links that point to other web sites ... in that case, WebKit may go out and try to grab those images when you view the note in the client.

OK, let's bump this back up. Wife reports that while behind her certificate based proxy, if she is using a non-local notebook, sync errors out as related above. However, if she creates a note on her desktop using the Windows client, in a notebook that is set to be offline on the iPad, it syncs to the servers properly and shows up on the iPad. Likewise, notes created in an offline notebook on the iPad sync up to the servers and the Windows client can see them. So SOME communication is happening. Just not all of the time. Sounds like it might be less of an IOS issue and possibly some different handling of offline and online notebooks. Maybe a new place to look?

Hi!

I don't understand what's going on... I have both iPod Touch (1sr gen) and iPad. In my oficce's wifi (with corporate proxy): with the iPod, I can get all the notes (so, no problem), but with the iPad Ican see the note (with it's name) in the note's list, but I can't retrieve the content, I get only a "Connection refused".

This the log in my iPad:

2011-03-16 14:25:15.113 [lvl=2] -[ENAppController _setupSharedLogger] ---------------------------------------------------

2011-03-16 14:25:15.309 [lvl=2] -[ENMappedDataCache _mapFile:] -[ENMappedDataCache _mapFile:] /var/mobile/Applications/166E4FBD-0928-4801-BA85-11098271AA48/Library/Caches/www.evernote.com/vcdgibbs/EN10881.thm

2011-03-16 14:25:16.223 [lvl=2] -[ENSyncEngine syncIgnoringNetworkPreference:forcingAuthRefresh:] reachability currentReachabilityStatus=1

2011-03-16 14:25:16.224 [lvl=2] -[ENAppController syncEngineDidStart:]

2011-03-16 14:25:16.367 [lvl=2] -[ENSyncEngine _syncStarted] Sync started.

2011-03-16 14:25:16.403 [lvl=2] -[ENSyncEngine _backgroundSync] Contacting Evernote server...

2011-03-16 14:25:18.404 [lvl=2] -[ENSyncEngine authenticateWithServer] Updating user info...

2011-03-16 14:25:18.520 [lvl=2] -[ENSyncEngine _syncServerChanges] current update count: 159

2011-03-16 14:25:19.108 [lvl=2] -[ENSyncEngine _syncServerChanges] Upload used from server: 15286

2011-03-16 14:25:19.138 [lvl=2] -[ENAppController syncEngineDidFinish:]

2011-03-16 14:25:19.139 [lvl=2] -[ENSyncEngine _syncFinished] Sync complete.

2011-03-16 14:25:19.147 [lvl=2] -[ENSyncEngine(NoteContent) resetNotesFlaggedWithError] 0 notes were flagged with errors

2011-03-16 14:25:19.215 [lvl=2] -[ENTipsDataSource tips] latestTipsDate=2011-03-16 18:25:17 +0000, bundledTipsDate=2011-02-16 20:30:38 +0000

2011-03-16 14:25:19.438 [lvl=2] -[ENTipsDataSource tips] latestTipsDate=2011-03-16 18:25:17 +0000, bundledTipsDate=2011-02-16 20:30:38 +0000

2011-03-16 14:25:19.820 [lvl=2] -[ENSyncEngine(NoteContent) resetNotesFlaggedWithError] 0 notes were flagged with errors

2011-03-16 14:25:19.822 [lvl=2] -[ENSyncEngine(NoteContent) recalculateNotebookStats]

2011-03-16 14:25:19.932 [lvl=2] -[ENSyncEngine(NoteContent) noMissingNoteContent] maxSize=-1, failures=0

2011-03-16 14:25:21.230 [lvl=2] -[ENTipsDataSource tips] latestTipsDate=2011-03-16 18:25:17 +0000, bundledTipsDate=2011-02-16 20:30:38 +0000

2011-03-16 14:25:21.339 [lvl=2] -[ENTipsDataSource tips] latestTipsDate=2011-03-16 18:25:17 +0000, bundledTipsDate=2011-02-16 20:30:38 +0000

2011-03-16 14:27:03.363 [lvl=2] -[ENAppController prepareForBackgroundState] stopping HTTP server

2011-03-16 14:59:58.611 [lvl=2] -[ENSyncEngine(NoteContent) resetNotesFlaggedWithError] 0 notes were flagged with errors

I can't say that the proxy is the problem, since the iPod has no problem retrieving the content, only the iPad.

:shock: I'm confused here... someone with the same trouble?

Cheers!

Please can you tell me how close you are to fixing this? Are there some proxy servers that work better with iOS. I am in a school and we use a proxy server for filtering and esafety of students so this is not going to change. I cannot sychronise evernote which is really distressing as I am trying to promote its use with students. i am having quite a lot of problems with other apps too. Should we be using a different proxy server?

I'm getting the same error when connecting to EN mobile app when behind a firewalled wi-fi network requiring a proxy. I can connect to Safari & Mail correctly (well, intermittent success with MobileMe account, 100% with corporate email). I get this error on BOTH iPhone 3GS and iPad 1st gen.

This is a bit of a pain, and I experience this on +90% of the 3rd party apps on my iPhone and iPad. I want to be able to take notes via EN iOS app on my iPad at work, and have it sync up to my work desktop's EN program when I'm done with my meeting. As it is now I have to switch over to a 'guest' wireless which is outside of my company's intranet, so I spend the day switching back and forth between the 2 wifi accounts in order to get things done.

3rd party apps need to understand that iPads in the Enterprise are here to stay, and the iPad user base expects their productivity apps to be able to work IN BOTH proxy wi-fi networks as well as the corner Starbucks and home Wi-Fi networks. If they don't there will be another productivity app that will take their place.

I suggest a long-awaited feature in Evernote Windows client: proxy configuration independent from IE.

I work in a company which uses VPNs to connect its internal networks and proxies to access web, and due to security permissions I have to use a separate proxy for Evenote, while I use IE to access intranet zone. Therefore I have to switch proxy configuration back and forth.

Of course, at the first install the proxy configuration should be copied form IE, but user should be able to change that later. Have my vote for an individual proxy setting in Evernote client.

Hi - I see I'm a very late entry to this forum on the perils of proxy servers. At home - where I can connect directly to the website - there is no problem synchronising my notes on any of the computers we have (macs and pcs). At school, synching times out. I'm in a school that has recently changed to a new secure network provider. We are in a settling in phase and the help desk guys are only too happy to fix problems that crop up. They did try a fix for Evernote which worked for a while, but alas, no longer. This is what the Total Team have told me:

"As far as I can see, the uploader component of the website is some sort of embedded application.

When it uploads, it tries to talk directly to 119.47.118.75 on port 80 / 443

However your traffic runs through an authenticated web proxy... direct traffic is disallowed.

So the uploader component needs to ask the browser for any proxy settings, and to inherit any authentication credentials required to talk to the proxy. It seems not to do that.

So this afternoon I allowed http/s directly from your LAN to 119.47.118.75 without going via the proxy. This change is permanent and should work unless the web site moves IP - I can't explain why its not still working without some more testing while you try it. See if you can get an answer from Evernote"

I hope you have the answer(s) now. Evernote is awesome but this p[r]oxy server glitch is making it very hard for me to convince my colleagues and students!

I can't use the Evernote Windows client at work.

We use an authenticating proxy - Websense.

When I start the Evernote client it pops up a window asking me to confirm the Proxy authorisation credentials. I do this, and then put my Evernote login details into the Evernote client. But when I click "Sign in" it responds with "Can't connect to server".

The activity log includes these lines:

13:20:20 [3812] 0% Authenticating user "deegee62"

13:20:20 [3812] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 403, error: Authentication required

13:20:20 [3812] 0% Session terminated abnormally, elapsed time: 0s

A Wireshark trace shows that the Evernote client is attempting to route out of our network using the correct proxy server, but isn't passing any authentication details at all ... hence, I guess, the authentication failure.

Can anyone help?

Plus one.

Trying to use Evernote through my university wifi on an iPad and finding I can't sync with the university proxy set up. I can go to the EN site but even then I can't see past the first screen of the note I was trying to access for some reason.

I paid for a month of EN premium to see whether it would work for me - sadly it looks like I won't be taking out a more permanent subscription. It would be great to have this bug sorted out so I'll keep my eye on this thread and hope I can justify the subscription in the future as I have another 2 years to finish my degree.

I'm an Evernote user since many years. As in most other companies it is also in the company for which I work not possible/not allowed to install third party software on your computer. But as long as somthing runs from a USB stick it's kind of tolerated 8) . Unfortunately Evernote stopped a few years ago the development of portable versions and the current software build does not work so reliable if it's operated from an USB stick - but OK the programm is not designed as a portable app so I should be thankful that it works....

As my company allows us since some months to use privately owned iPAD's and grant us access to our company WiFi I thought that this will be the solution :-P

Now after 4 days of playing around with the iPAD I'm totaly frustrated :cry:

• [*:2cphfewc]the text formating options of the Evernot app are described best as a pure tragedy - options which are available for Evernote on Android since months like checkboxes, and structured numeration are not available on the iPAD and there are no workarounds :( . I know that it gives several reasons but at the end Evernote for iPAD is like a bird with clipped wings.
    [*:2cphfewc] but the worst thing is that evernote is not able to connect with the evernote servers over a proxy - that's like a dead bird with clipped wings :-x ...

Is there any chance that these issues will be solved in the very near future? I really love Evernote but all those compromises (crashes of Evernote running from USB-stick, no text formating option and no option to sync from iPAD at work) do cost me too many time and nerves - so is there still hope for a solution coming soon?

Is there any chance that these issues will be solved in the very near future? I really love Evernote but all those compromises (crashes of Evernote running from USB-stick, no text formating option and no option to sync from iPAD at work) do cost me too many time and nerves - so is there still hope for a solution coming soon?

Regarding proxies, this post, earlier in this same thread, posted by Dave Engberg, CTO of Evernote & dated 1/24/11:

We have identified a problem with the proxy support in iOS that makes it difficult for developers (like Evernote) to support "authenticating" proxies. I.e. if your proxy server requires a username and password, then the standard HTTP networking libraries in iOS don't work correctly. We're investigating options, but it's a bit of a messy situation.

Regarding running EN from a thumb drive, you could try this method.. However, there has been no indication from Evernote that either of these items are very high on their (rather lengthy) priority list and/or forthcoming soon. Probably the closest thing you'll get is an acknowledgment that it's on their list of things to consider.

Is the proxy issue fixed yet? I am behind a proxy that does NOT require authentication and EN doesn't work. Only works if I punch a hole or whatever. Really means I can't use the product. Doesn't make sense you all claim to use the standard iOS libraries and this doesn't work?! Are you SURE you aren't doing something weird? The fact it seems to be trying to talk to 127.0.0.1 makes it seem like you are doing something weird. It really is disconcerting that I can't use EN. I hear people rave about it but I can't get it to work through the proxy server. :-(

@ BurgersNFries thanks for posting the comment of Dave Engberg - I have already seen it in the threadf and as it was quite old I asked again if there is a chance that this issue will be solved in the near future...

There are so many bugs or features missing in the iOS version :D but in the end all of them are not a killer-criteria for me - but if I'm not able to sync over a proxy there is no reason for me to renew my premium account as I'm not able tio use the key functionality of Evernote? I know that the architecture of iOS does give the guys from Evernote a hard job in implementing certain features and functionalities but the least what I expect is a honest information from Evernote if they will be able to fix this bug / implement this feature and how long it will take. A several month old info that it is a tricky issue is nothing helping me in my decision if it's worth staying with Evernote or try other solutions...

Eichhoernle

Given that the issue has been around for several months and hasn't been resolved and that no one from Evernote has suggested that something is imminent....I'm guessing that nothing is imminent.....

@ metrodon - I fear that you hit the nail on the head

I assume that even for Evernote premium users do not grow on trees. So it will be only a sign of taking problems serious if they give a status on open issues e.g. can not be solved, has non priority... leaving issues floating in the forum is in my opinion the worst solution...

Eichhoernle

Hello,

I want to use Evernote in my Company. At the moment I don't have the Company Version. I tried the free Version and it is quite good.

But before I can use it for the Company there is one Problem. In the business Version all data is transfered over SSL between Client and Server. In the most cases that's a good thing, but it is impossible to scan this connection with an Antivirus program. So if I can't scan the connection for Virus it's a kind of risk.

I know that e.g. the Microsoft Forefront TMG or the ISA is capable of breaking a SSL tunnel into two pieces. So that there is one SSL tunnel between the Client (the PC with Evernote) and the TMG. Now the TMG can scan all data for Virus. After that the TMG has a second SSL tunnel to the Webserver of Evernote. Backwards it's the same procedure. On this way the connection should work. But I don't know if Evernote Support this kind of connection.

There is no Company Version. As far as I know, there is only a free and premium version that is geared toward individual users, not companies. Nevertheless, assuming the free version is working for you, then the premium one ought to work exactly the same. Here is some information on the premium version.

http://www.evernote.com/about/premium/

The only 'company' feature is sponsored accounts - nothing else is any different.

Is there an update on this? Now a year later so I'm hoping so. We have the same problem - in a school were Evernote cannot sync over wifi as it seems to not connect over the https proxy. Everything else is running find on the iPad (browsing, mail, etc) - just the Evernote sync.

Hoping for a solution?

Hello again.

This is a brief follow-up question to my previous post. I am faced with a workplace who will not make any IT security exceptions for access to and from the Evernote servers. Not being an IT security person, and also not being one to risk my position by accessing Evernote via my own innocuously titled proxy server, I would like to know how you all in a similar locked-down position get your Evernote on.

Beyond emailing to my Evernote account (for capture), I am at a loggerheads; there are no non-networked wired internet connections at said workplace, and still being in the dark ages, wireless access (monitored or not) will come riding one distant day on the back of a striped unicorn.

I am thinking that a second computer (notebook) or some sort of tablet running the EN client is likely my best bet, even if it is offline. Ponying up for a wireless data connection is also a possibility, though in doing so, my effective investment in Evernote would increase by at least 10x per annum.

Thoughts?

Thanks to all with a suggestion or story.

Hello again.

This is a brief follow-up question to my previous post. I am faced with a workplace who will not make any IT security exceptions for access to and from the Evernote servers. Not being an IT security person, and also not being one to risk my position by accessing Evernote via my own innocuously titled proxy server, I would like to know how you all in a similar locked-down position get your Evernote on.

Beyond emailing to my Evernote account (for capture), I am at a loggerheads; there are no non-networked wired internet connections at said workplace, and still being in the dark ages, wireless access (monitored or not) will come riding one distant day on the back of a striped unicorn.

I am thinking that a second computer (notebook) or some sort of tablet running the EN client is likely my best bet, even if it is offline. Ponying up for a wireless data connection is also a possibility, though in doing so, my effective investment in Evernote would increase by at least 10x per annum.

Thoughts?

Thanks to all with a suggestion or story.

Yikes! I think you are in a tough situation. Do they not allow web access either? This would be the easiest solution.

1. Potentially Risky Solution

It is my understanding that Windows allows you to store your Evernote database on an external hard drive (maybe I am wrong about this), so it is conceivable that a small investment (a 16GB flash drive ought to handle most accounts with plenty of room to spare) could potentially enable you to use Evernote at work. I can imagine all sorts of conflicts arising from this (maybe I am wrong), so I would probably try and make a second account for access at work, and share my main Evernote account notebooks with it, so that you can access all of your notes, and create notes as needed using your work account. Then, you won't have any problems with syncing.

2. Middle of the Road Solution

I am too lazy to even think about doing this, so I would invest in a netbook (under $200 used can get you something nice) or a tablet (you can't go wrong with an iPad) to use. If all of your files are in "offline" notebooks (a setting available on the ipad to premium users) you will have access to everything without having to worry about an Internet connection. Basically, it would be the same thing as your netbook, except that the Windows user interface is far more productivity oriented.

It seems that your second suggestion is one which I continue to come back to, in spite of the associated cost. To clarify, yes, this academic

institution allows Web access, however, it does not allow users to install software without administrative privileges (Win 7 Enterprise). If I were able to install, I likely would not be able to interface with the online database, as even this forum is blocked by the IT filter. It is an unfortunate dictocratic dilemma...one would assume they wanted their staff to do work!

If one were to go the route of offline access on a second device, as a premium user, one would also be able sync the database back to the Web once a connection is re-established?

Hello again.

I am all for user and employee innovation.

However, if your company has considered your request and denied access to Evernote, then you are probably best advised to abide by their decision. I know nothing of your company or its business. But companies often have very good reasons to limit employee access. These include legal, network security, and protection of proprietary, confidential information.

When you accept employment, you agree to abide by the company rules.

If you break these rules, you potentially face both termination and legal (maybe even criminal) actions.

So, you have to ask yourself, is it worth getting access to Evernote if (when) you get caught?

• Like 1

It seems that your second suggestion is one which I continue to come back to, in spite of the associated cost. To clarify, yes, this academic

institution allows Web access, however, it does not allow users to install software without administrative privileges (Win 7 Enterprise). If I were able to install, I likely would not be able to interface with the online database, as even this forum is blocked by the IT filter. It is an unfortunate dictocratic dilemma...one would assume they wanted their staff to do work!

If one were to go the route of offline access on a second device, as a premium user, one would also be able sync the database back to the Web once a connection is re-established?

an academic institution? if it is a university, you ought to have wireless access, and since you can download whatever you want into your personal device, then it will be no problem at all. i'd definitely go that route if i were you.

academic institutions (universities) tend to be terribly strict about this sort of thing. i've found that it is best not to mess with them (it is their computer after all) and just do it yourself if you want something outside of the mainstream stuff like microsoft office.

Good points all around. I did not want to give the impression of attempting to subvert the security or filtering protocol for my employer;on the contrary, I abide to the rule for the very reasons JMichael brought up. With this established, the main push behind my query was if and how people (or groups) have found ways to (legally) integrate Evernote into their work life via personal devices, interfacing with other common workplace software and the like when the more obvious and certainly more useful option of desktop/Web client access is unavailable.

For it's great utility in my personal and private business lives, this may be an instance where the compromises required to get Evernote into the workplace, or at least at its periphery, compromise its utility enough to search for alternatives.

And yes, unbelievable as it may sound, on a campus populated by 25,000 students wireless access is spotty at best, and in my dark corner of the complex, nonexistent.

Good points all around. I did not want to give the impression of attempting to subvert the security or filtering protocol for my employer;on the contrary, I abide to the rule for the very reasons JMichael brought up. With this established, the main push behind my query was if and how people (or groups) have found ways to (legally) integrate Evernote into their work life via personal devices, interfacing with other common workplace software and the like when the more obvious and certainly more useful option of desktop/Web client access is unavailable.

For it's great utility in my personal and private business lives, this may be an instance where the compromises required to get Evernote into the workplace, or at least at its periphery, compromise its utility enough to search for alternatives.

And yes, unbelievable as it may sound, on a campus populated by 25,000 students wireless access is spotty at best, and in my dark corner of the complex, nonexistent.

oh no. i feel your pain. in my office i get spotty access for some reason. i suppose it keeps me working, but it means i cannot work there on my ipad (no connection with my evernote account). everywhere else on campus is fine.

one thing we have to give evernote credit for is making this app work well offline, and it provides us offline notes (i cannot use them, but that is a whole other story). this google drive thing (for example) sounds cool, but without an app, it is not particularly enticing.

I'm trying to connect to Evernote through the Evernote app on my Macbook Pro. I am behind an Authenticating Proxy Server. I can connect from my house, where there is no proxy server, but I cannot connect from work when behind the proxy server.

I use Dropbox as well, and I have to change the proxy settings when I go from home to work within the Dropbox application. It's annoying, but at least it works. I cannot find anywhere in Evernote to define proxy settings, though. Would that not be a relatively simple way to fix this problem?

This is a cross post and I apologise but this thread is more recent.

Hi.

I am also having trouble logging onto evernote through our schools authenticated proxy via my iPad .

When using the app I continually get asked for my proxy username and password. if I cancel I get this error I get this error

The operation couldn't be completed.

(NSURLErrorDomain error - 1012)

synchronising failed because of an error communication with the evernote servers. Please try again later.

I also cannot login to www.evernote.com/my. once again it continually asks for my proxy username and password.

I can access all other website and apps in my iPad.

Evernote also works fine on my laptop connected to the same authenticated proxy network.

Any ideas??

Any progress on this problem?

I get same errors using my iPhone when I try to login to Evernote website via Safari, and when I try Evernote app. It keeps asking me my username and password.

I'm under a university proxy.

It seems like this problem has been here almost 3 years now. You guys must have got things done already on this problem, I think.

Hi,

I have evernote at home connecting directly to the internet with no issues. I have it at work which uses a proxy, but I cannot see anywhere to enter my proxy details into Evernote.

Can someone please advise where in Evernote I enter the proxy details to I can connect? Is there some menu for connection settings?

thanks

Jim

Hi - welcome to the Forum. Evernote doesn't come with a proxy menu (yet) unfortunately - what you see is what you get with the connection options. It may be on the route plan for the future, but as far as I know, none of the clients in any OS currently support proxy connections. You would be able to use the web client (presumably) via a proxied browser?

We use the operating system's default settings, typically configured via the Internet Options dialog in Internet Explorer; we don't store or maintain our own separate proxy configuration. If you're able to connect to the Evernote web client via Internet Explorer, I believe you should be able to connect via the Windows client as well.

• Like 2

Hi guys,

Yes, that solved it. I first opened my browser (Chrome) and connected to the internet and authenticated to my work proxy. I then ran evernote and it worked ok (like you say it used the IE proxy settings).

it would be a useful feature to have proxy control similar to dropbox or even better the way skype works (tries the proxy, if no connection tries a direct internet connection). Please add it to your list of updates for Evernote!

Thanks

Jim

If you're able to connect to the Evernote web client via Internet Explorer, I believe you should be able to connect via the Windows client as well.

That has certainly been my experience. Used that test many times to chase down sync problems reported in forum.

@evernote Would you please add proxy settings to desktop apps, for God and Freedom sake! "Orbit DownLoader style" is perfect!

I know I can set proxy for evernote by setting my OS default browser proxy, but it's really annoying.

I know you are cooperating with Chinese Gov by compiling a f**ked Chinese local version evernote service. Because of money, I can understand that.

But please, do not abandon us who lives in China and demand freedom. We don't trust it about storing data on physical server in China, so we want use evernote international version.

We f**ked by Chinese Great Fire Wall day by day, so a lot of us have SSH service but not VPN. All we need is SSH or SOCK proxy settings for evernote desktop apps.

As a Chinese Coding monkey, I know it's not difficult for you guys.

Please, be Google, don't be Yahoo! Thank you very much!

post-102275-0-48698000-1345820856_thumb.

I am also affected by this bug, terribly inconvenient for what otherwise is a great solution to keeping notes synchronized between my work laptop and iPad.

Apple did some work in iOS6 on a feature called Global Proxy. Does this or any other change in the new OS bring hope for resolving this issue?

Hello,

Today I blocked Internet Explorer's web access for security reasons. I did so without uninstalling IE, by simply setting it to use a dummy (nonexistent) proxy server. This is apparently a widely-recommended security precaution if you have highly confidential information on your PC. It's advisable because IE is commonly misused by hackers and spyware to send your data back to their various motherships. See, e.g., http://www.techsuppo...et_explorer.htm

Immediately after I redirected Internet Explorer to my nonexistent proxy server (0.0.0.0 / port 80), Evernote stopped syncing.The "Evernote could not connect to server" message appeared, and persists. When i bypassed the nonexistent proxy server, Evernote synced happily again.

So Evernote apparently uses Internet Explorer's access to the internet continually, in the background. That's fine. But so does spyware. So to leave Internet Explorer with access solely for the use of Evernote's desktop software, is troubling.

Is there any way to create an exception for whatever server Evernote is seeking, while leaving IE disabled in all other respects? Or, any other solution? (We need the security of knowing IE isn't running spyware in the background. But we love Evernote, and very much want to use its iteration on our PC.)

Thanks so much for help,

Art

Edited by ArthurC

Hello,

Today I blocked Internet Explorer's web access for security reasons. I did so without uninstalling IE, by simply setting it to use a dummy (nonexistent) proxy server. This is apparently a widely-recommended security precaution if you have highly confidential information on your PC. It's advisable because IE is commonly misused by hackers and spyware to send your data back to their various motherships. See, e.g., http://www.techsuppo...et_explorer.htm

Immediately after I redirected Internet Explorer to my nonexistent proxy server (0.0.0.0 / port 80), Evernote stopped syncing.The "Evernote could not connect to server" message appeared, and persists. When i bypassed the nonexistent proxy server, Evernote synced happily again.

So Evernote apparently uses Internet Explorer's access to the internet continually, in the background. That's fine. But so does spyware. So to leave Internet Explorer with access solely for the use of Evernote's desktop software, is troubling.

Is there any way to create an exception for whatever server Evernote is seeking, while leaving IE disabled in all other respects? Or, any other solution? (We need the security of knowing IE isn't running spyware in the background. But we love Evernote, and very much want to use its iteration on our PC.)

Thanks so much for help,

Art

I'm by no means an expert, but I believe Internet Explorer is in some way tied to your overall Internet Settings. To quote the article you linked to, "there's no satisfactory way of removing it completely without risking crippling Windows itself." I don't think we use Internet Explorer itself, but rather the settings/configurations.

I know that if you set Internet Explorer to Offline Mode, you get a sync issue with Evernote as well. I can talk to the folks around here, but I haven't heard of any way around this.

I'm by no means an expert, but I believe Internet Explorer is in some way tied to your overall Internet Settings. To quote the article you linked to, "there's no satisfactory way of removing it completely without risking crippling Windows itself." I don't think we use Internet Explorer itself, but rather the settings/configurations.

I know that if you set Internet Explorer to Offline Mode, you get a sync issue with Evernote as well. I can talk to the folks around here, but I haven't heard of any way around this.

It is not true that there's no way around this. I use Chrome as my browser. When IE is in offline mode, Chrome still works fine. But Evernote refuses to sync. Why is it that EN fails when Chrome works fine? It's because EN developers used the wrong API for their internet coding -- they used something that relies on IE, rather than using an API independent of IE like the Chrome developers did.

Firefox also works when IE is in offline mode. So they did it right too. Since Firefox is open source, all EN has to do is look a their code and do the same thing. But they persist in using the wrong approach to internet access on Windows even after this bug has been complained about for years.

Apparently nobody at EN uses Windows on portable computer, or you'd realize what a big deal this is. EVERY time you launch IE and then later disconnect your computer from the network (as I do many times a day, carrying my computer around with me), IE puts itself into offline mode (even if it's just sitting in the background). Then if you later close IE -- as I would normally do, since I mainly use Chrome -- IE is permanently in offline mode. And even though you are back on the network, EN will never sync again. Ever. until you remember to re-launch the browser you don't like to use for the sole purpose of putting it back in on-line mode. It took me forever to figure out this workaround. for people who don't figure it out, EN will simply never sync again for them. I'm shocked that you can keep a bug like this in your software -- and even more shocked that your programmers apparently think there is no fix for it, when it's obvious that most other software (Chrome, etc.) does not have this bizarred dependency on IE.

• Like 1

It is not true that there's no way around this. I use Chrome as my browser. When IE is in offline mode, Chrome still works fine. But Evernote refuses to sync. Why is it that EN fails when Chrome works fine? It's because EN developers used the wrong API for their internet coding -- they used something that relies on IE, rather than using an API independent of IE like the Chrome developers did.

Firefox also works when IE is in offline mode. So they did it right too. Since Firefox is open source, all EN has to do is look a their code and do the same thing. But they persist in using the wrong approach to internet access on Windows even after this bug has been complained about for years.

Apparently nobody at EN uses Windows on portable computer, or you'd realize what a big deal this is. EVERY time you launch IE and then later disconnect your computer from the network (as I do many times a day, carrying my computer around with me), IE puts itself into offline mode (even if it's just sitting in the background). Then if you later close IE -- as I would normally do, since I mainly use Chrome -- IE is permanently in offline mode. And even though you are back on the network, EN will never sync again. Ever. until you remember to re-launch the browser you don't like to use for the sole purpose of putting it back in on-line mode. It took me forever to figure out this workaround. for people who don't figure it out, EN will simply never sync again for them. I'm shocked that you can keep a bug like this in your software -- and even more shocked that your programmers apparently think there is no fix for it, when it's obvious that most other software (Chrome, etc.) does not have this bizarred dependency on IE.

Hmm... I don't have that experience at all, so perhaps I'm missing something. I have a windows laptop that I carry into meetings. It connects and disconnects to our network. I've put it on both the wireless and wired networks. I also switch between using IE, Chrome and Firefox and it has never gone into offline mode. There are other employees that have Windows machines and I don't think they've run into this issue either... Perhaps...

(Pause for Googling)

Actually, I think you might have Internet Explorer set to be in Offline Mode by default, which is why it keeps going into offline mode and requiring that unusual work around. But that is just a guess. Perhaps these two articles would be of use to you: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/195730 & http://support.microsoft.com/kb/180946 But again, I'm not an expert.

Regarding the right vs wrong API for our "internet coding" I'll talk to the team, but it may not be as simple as that. If you have specific API suggestions, I'm happy to pass them to them along.

When I am traveling or using a public network to synch Evernote I would like to be able to connect through my socks5 proxy. All of the other programs I use for work that need to connect allow me to route everything through my proxy. This is a serious security feature that Evernote is lacking.

And from an office, you may not be able to adjust the OS default proxy. Please add proxy option for evernote desktop!

Please add a proxy option to evenote desktop client. I can connect to the evernote web client via a proxied firefox, but the os proxy is locked.