Hide when Minimized

pilotbob

Hi Bob,

Currently there is no hide on minimise option. Closing the Evernote window however will close the window but leave an icon in the tray, allowing you to click to restore it (or other options that you can define by right clicking the icon)

Scott

Hi Bob,

Currently there is no hide on minimise option. Closing the Evernote window however will close the window but leave an icon in the tray, allowing you to click to restore it (or other options that you can define by right clicking the icon)

Scott

Ah... thanks... that is good enough.

BOb

• 4 months later...

Hi Bob,

Scott

BOb

For me it is NOT good enough. In many occasions I want my windows taskbar to have only my "active" applications.

So because there's no option to minimize Evernote to the notification area (the "system tray"), I need to click close button which takes a few seconds (EN needs to sync). Now when I need to write another note I need to launch EN again which which takes another few seconds. This "cycle" continues again and again throught the day...

All the Best.

• Level 5*
So because there's no option to minimize Evernote to the notification area (the "system tray"),

There is; it's Alt+F4, obviating the following:

I need to click close button which takes a few seconds (EN needs to sync). Now when I need to write another note I need to launch EN again which which takes another few seconds. This "cycle" continues again and again throught the day...

Hi LL2525, welcome to the forum :)

As you are aware, there is still no option to hide the window on minimise. Whether it will be added or not I don't know.

So, you are using the sync changes on exit option?

A similar function could be replicated though, if you are familiar with AutoHotkey (or similar)

I was able to hide the window when minimised using AHK, and clicking on the shortcut/tray icon will restore the window.

My code, if you wanted it:

Rather crude, it checks the state of the EN window, and if it is minimised - hides it.

#Persistent
#SingleInstance, force

DetectHiddenWindows, On

WinRestore, ahk_class ENMainFrame ;~ Un-minimise the window to prevent it being hidden again.
WinShow, ahk_class ENMainFrame ;~ Show EN window if hidden.

/*
WinRestore and WinShow are not strictly necessary as invoking an Evernote window(either by a shortcut or the tray icon) will show the window again.
It is included anyway for my peace of mind and will act on first running of the script.
*/

Loop,
{
Winget, state, MinMax, ahk_class ENMainFrame
If (state = "-1") ;~ Minimised
{
WinHide, ahk_class ENMainFrame
}
Sleep, 500 ; 500 ms - can be increased if wanted. A higher number increases the potential delay before window is hidden.
}

Scott

Hi Bob,

Scott

BOb

For me it is NOT good enough. In many occasions I want my windows taskbar to have only my "active" applications.

So because there's no option to minimize Evernote to the notification area (the "system tray"), I need to click close button which takes a few seconds (EN needs to sync). Now when I need to write another note I need to launch EN again which which takes another few seconds. This "cycle" continues again and again throught the day...

All the Best.

I guess I don't know what you mean. When you click the X in the right corner Evernote is NOT exiting, it is still running in the background and the Evernote tray icon is there (it's always there when EN is running). You can click the icon and EN opens immediately Or you can use your new note hot key.

You can verify this by watching Taskmanager and see that the Evernote process does not close when the main window is closed.

This is why I said... "good enough".

BOb

Hi Bob,

Scott

BOb

All the Best.

I guess I don't know what you mean. When you click the X in the right corner Evernote is NOT exiting, it is still running in the background and the Evernote tray icon is there (it's always there when EN is running). You can click the icon and EN opens immediately Or you can use your new note hot key.

You can verify this by watching Taskmanager and see that the Evernote process does not close when the main window is closed.

BOb

No Bob, the Evernote process DOES close when the main window is closed. Evernote.exe is gone and only EvernoteTray.exe is still running.

• Level 5*
No Bob, the Evernote process DOES close when the main window is closed. Evernote.exe is gone and only EvernoteTray.exe is still running.

Yes, Bob. Using Process Explorer, I can see that Evernote.exe is still running after having clicked the [x] in the right corner. Alt+F4 will give you the same effect. You do not need to wait for sync to complete in this case, and you can restore Evernote to availability by activating it from the notification area, or by using one of a couple of Windows hot keys (Alt+Shift+F, for one, which opens up Evernote and puts you into the search control, ready for a new search).

Hi Bob,

Scott

BOb

All the Best.

BOb

You must be running a different version than I am.

This jing shows that when I close my Evernote window using the X in the upper right corner the Evernote.exe process is still running.

http://screencast.com/t/g7FqN2tOEa

BOb

Depends on whether you have syncronise changes in background enabled or not.

Enabled: Evernote.exe stays running.

Disabled: Evernote.exe closes.

Perhaps this could also be a nicer solution for LL2525 since it seems like it may be a quicker close (at least for me?)

Tools -> Options -> Sync Tab.

Perhaps this could also be a nicer solution for LL2525 since it seems like it may be a quicker close (at least for me?)

Ah.. that could be it. I do have sycn in background enabled!

Yes, just tested that makes a huge difference. Turn that on L2525!

BOb

• Level 5*

Yes, Bob. Using Process Explorer, I can see that Evernote.exe is still running after having clicked the [x] in the right corner.

That's what I said. You are preaching to the choir... it is L2525 that is the non-believer here.

BOb

Actually, I was just reinforcing what you said... :)

Yes, after turning ON the background sync EN keeps running after clicking the X button.

Still, does anyone understand why did EN developers decided to change the functionality of the x button depending on whether you have synchronize changes in background enabled or not ?

• 2 years later...

Thanks!  You saved my life too.

How silly this weird behavior!

And still in place more than 2 years after this discussion thread was started.

It never occurred to the developers to "fix" it.

Archived