Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
khanmoce

other (Archived) Why IPHONE and not Windows Mobile. We want offline viewing.

47 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm happy that Iphone got some new features to its edition of Evernote. I appreciate the work the team of EverNote is doing but I feel left out.

Im a long time user of Windows Mobile and I believe you guys started supporting WM before the Iphone.

I request the Evernote to implement a similar feature in Windows Mobile.

I once again want to thank the team of EverNote for making such a great masterpiece.

Regards

+1 from here...WM phone users have the same need as iPhone users. Please keep us in mind! Thx...

I will add myself to the thread of each message I find in this sense: I want offline viewing/editing on the WM client. Right now it's a pretty decent tool to capture text/pics/audio and eventually upload it. But that's it!

All the other clients are EXCELLENT. Before them, the WM version is subpar. And I don't think that's what you want for EN.

If I had to boil it down to the minimum requirements, I would say:

• [*:38kq6vjr]Off-line storage of the notes in the phone. Maybe being able to include/exclude certaing note types and/or notebooks, in order to save space (I would leave my photo/audio heavy notebooks off my phone, for example). And being able to use either phone memory or storage card.
    [*:38kq6vjr]Encryption, of course
    [*:38kq6vjr]Tags, of course.
    [*:38kq6vjr]Rich formatting is NOT a must in this context. I could do without it if I could "read" a formatted, HTML version of the note (or even a plain text one), and edit only plain text, even if I lost the original formatting when editing. Even if could do HTML source code editing, perhaps.

One minor sin I find in the current implementation: I cannot use TABS when capturing text. Odd, but true. Us, indentation-freaks (Python coder, if you were wondering) rely on tabs so much...

For offline viewing on WM, I recommend setting up your mail client to retrieve your notes via IMAP mail:

http://evernote.com/about/support/imap.php

I've done this with a few of my notebooks, and now I can quickly access my recipes at the store when I forget an ingredient.

For offline viewing on WM, I recommend setting up your mail client to retrieve your notes via IMAP mail:

I've done this with a few of my notebooks, and now I can quickly access my recipes at the store when I forget an ingredient.

Can't seem to get this to work with WM6.1. I got it to log on and download folders...my folder heirarchy shows an Inbox and other typical IMAP folders...but also 2 folders that correspond to my 2 EverNote notebooks. It then says it's downloading headers...and quits...saying it can't download these messages.

Any ideas?

BTW, you know the WM instructions at the link you posted has contradictory information...as to whether the email & server address to use is "m.evernote.com" or "preview.evernote.com"

I do hope this can work as it would be a much better interface for me than the current WM client...since it allows offline viewing (as you indicted)...and I'd really prefer that over the web browser only interface since that requires an Internet connection which I don't always have (airplanes, cell-phone unfriendly office buildings, etc.).

That is an option . . . but if it's not good enough for iPhone users why should it be good enough for the rest of us? :)

Actually, my big problem with this solution is the fact that I have a 4gig Microsd card and would love to be able to take advantage of that via Evernote--but Outlook on WinMo doesn't give you the option to store it out of the internal memory. Now, I could use some external mail client--but if I really wanted to download another app to access Evernote, I'd want it to be... oh... Evernote.

I have three questions regarding IMAP use for Evernote on a Windows Mobile 6 smartphone.

First, if I delete (accidentally!) a note on my WM8 smartphone, will that note also be deleted in my other Evernote places?

Second, I only plan to use my notes for reading on my smartphone (at least using the email software.) Am I better off use using POP and not IMAP4 in that case?

Third, can anyone recommend a good WM6 email program for using with Evernote? Is there one that lets me search within emails?

Thanks.

The IMAP and POP are "read only" views on your account. This means that we ignore any requests to delete a note from a mail client.

The question about whether to use POP or IMAP is largely based on how the mail client on your device handles attachments. IMAP is nice because it has folders, so we can make one virtual folder for each Notebook in your account, so I'd start with this. However, some clients will only grab attachments for messages if you view them online first in IMAP, but will pre-fetch attachments in POP (or vice versa). This means that (e.g.) images may not be available offline until you view the note first. I'd use whichever one pre-fetches attachments on your platform, if you have the choice.

We definitively need offline browsing EN is not half as usefull as it is right now on my Iphone.

Did you EVER NOTE theres no offline browsing on the Iphone? Would decrease traffic and of course Speed of usage. Any news on this feature?

I'm also having problems with EverNote on iphone when I am using it off-line. Even if I save some note in 'Favourites', after making a slightest change in the note it tries to update all the notes, fails to do it and then everything or half of the updated note disappears. When can we expect to be able to use EverNote off-line on the iphone?

I'm also having problems with EverNote on iphone when I am using it off-line. Even if I save some note in 'Favourites', after making a slightest change in the note it tries to update all the notes, fails to do it and then everything or half of the updated note disappears. When can we expect to be able to use EverNote off-line on the iphone?

+1 on phantomlv. I also have an iPhone, and the offline feature still needs a lot of work. Until Evernote can be used completely free of an internet connection, specifically with the ability to delete and edit notes before they are synced, I wont be able to fully throw myself at Evernote and it's potential. Im not sure what the iPhone's restrictions are (that could be one of the reasons for lacking functionality), but if there were a way to allow 10 or 20 mb of note storage locally on the iPhone before it needs to be synced, then it would solve my problems. This way, I would be able to take audio, video, pic and text notes with confidence when I dont have an internet connection available.

Good work, and i'll be looking for some of these updates so I can upgrade my storage capacity.

Me to. I use Evernote and what's the use of it if I need to be online? Internet bills in phone are expensive so we should be able to use a local repository for keeping the notes and syncronize all when we are online with a PC machine. If it was made for the iUseless aka iPhone it should be done for the WM version too.

What gets me is that in the closed beta, the notes WERE stored locally prior to sync. The feature has just been removed. This is incredibly frustrating, because prior to "launch," I used Evernote constantly. I have a wifi phone and have disabled all the data connectivity features, because in Canada, they are ungodly expensive, and there is never any reason I have to sync immediately. Sadly, my version of WM6 doesn't even come with a free note taking program, only mobile Word, which can only edit, not create a new document.

So, now I've gone from a program that I loved and relied on, that was flexible enough to use in any situation (I particularly like to take reading notes sitting on a park bench or such), to a program I've removed from my phone, since I never use it anymore. How sad-- how do you call a program Ever*note*, and then forget that sometimes people just want to take a simple note...

Cloo: you are right. Not happy with not having offline note access of previous (synced) notes, now we can't even see the unsynced notes. The other day I had to resort to something else to have a note available offline, and later at home, still capture it in EN Mobile so it synced via WiFi. Good they solved the "cannot use anything unless you are connected" issue of the former release, but why this new "feature"?

If I can play a little devil's advocate here, Cloo: do not leave. Maybe you can find an older version and go back to it. I'm sure they will fix this soon, as they've done in the past. I depend on the full system (desktop, wm, sometimes web) so I'm staying. The desktop client keeps getting better and better, and there is also evolution on the WM side.

Cloo: you are right. Not happy with not having offline note access of previous (synced) notes, now we can't even see the unsynced notes. The other day I had to resort to something else to have a note available offline, and later at home, still capture it in EN Mobile so it synced via WiFi. Good they solved the "cannot use anything unless you are connected" issue of the former release, but why this new "feature"?

If I can play a little devil's advocate here, Cloo: do not leave. Maybe you can find an older version and go back to it. I'm sure they will fix this soon, as they've done in the past. I depend on the full system (desktop, wm, sometimes web) so I'm staying. The desktop client keeps getting better and better, and there is also evolution on the WM side.

There really is development happening. I have to remind myself of that constantly... But it's slow, and seems to be addressing features that aren't important to me (ignoring those of critical importance to me), so I get frustrated. I want note-to-note linking, Automatic Keyword Categories, and a variety of other stuff I've listed multiple times. I'd LOVE offline viewing on my PDA. Seems silly to me not to have it, but since the requirement to get your notes online directly impacts Evernote's revenue model, I don't expect it to change.

Drew:

I'm not sure I follow you on the revenue model part. To me, it would be the same as with the desktop client: you can always use a native client (phone or PC/Mac) and never ever sync. This way you would have a great, free BUT unconnected app and you would be losing what any hardcore note-taker sooner or later finds out: you WANT to sync.

Eventually, I guess Evernote hopes you find out:

1. You need to sync (not because of the app, but because it's so practical)

2. You need more bandwidth per month (not because of the app, but because you use it THAT much) <- revenue starts here

3. You need to sync your attached files (because it makes so much sense) <- ...or here...

and so on, for each Premium feature. But it all started with a killer app you got for free. Desktop is killer, web (though I don't use it that much) seems pretty cool too. Only mobile clients are substandard (ouch!) right now among the family.

I don't really see why would Evernote want us connected all the time with our phones. I mean, they are not carriers who would benefit from the data-transfer fee, and many phones are WiFi enabled anyway. The comments that they have answered on the forum are more in the sense of "building each client takes a lot of work and we are too few to do it fast", which makes some sense, if you think about it. (Maybe the recent funding will help with that).

But maybe I am missing something you are seeing...

BTW: I also want note linking!

This still doesn't explain why the option not to sync immediately was removed as a feature, thereby rendering the entire mobile application useless anywhere you are without a network. Which, to be frank, is most places.

I suppose my concern is slightly different than "offline viewing"-- more that the app doesn't even work without a network. Not being able to create even a PENDING note without connectivity is maddening.

I should note though, that while the mobile app is pretty much useless, I do still use the web app (hell, I can even pull that up in a browser with about the same level of mobile functionality). I've just had to buy a separate notetaking app, and just email everything in.

I'd just like to make sure my vote gets added to this thread.

I think the fact the WinMo app doesn't do offline synching is plain old ridiculous.

It take EverNote from the answer to all my prayers to a little useless.

Note I would pay for a working synching win mo app. I wouldn't pay for more disk space (I probably won't need it).

There no worrying about the amount of bandwidth I'd use for photos. Just give me the option to not synch them!

Is there an evernote api one could use to build my own useful client?

thanks for the reply, do you know if there are any plans to implement this feature in the main winmo client?

This is a bit more than a 'feature' ... implementing full offline synchronization of your entire account would take several times as much effort as it took to implement the current WM client. So we haven't announced any dates for implementing this, but it won't be appearing in the near future.