Getting GPS coords?

So I was used Evernote to record a location one day, because apparently it has that capability on iOS.

However, when I went to get that location again so I could set my GPS to go there - well, it was rather useless. Sure, it had marked the location on the map, but there seemed to be no way of getting something like the coordinates that I could easily plug into my GPS.

Is there something that I'm missing? What's the point of storing a location you can't really retrieve?

If you open the note on the desktop client and export it from the File menu, you will get an XML file (it's technically the .enex format, but it's just XML). Open that file with a text editor so you can view the raw XML code. One of the tags is the GPS location, so you can grab the exact latitude and longitude numbers from in there.

Circuitous, but it does get you the data.

If you open the note on the desktop client and export it from the File menu, you will get an XML file (it's technically the .enex format, but it's just XML). Open that file with a text editor so you can view the raw XML code. One of the tags is the GPS location, so you can grab the exact latitude and longitude numbers from in there.

Circuitous, but it does get you the data.

A quicker method: Clicking on the dropdown arrow for the location field within the note and selecting Edit (in a destop client) reveals the coordinates of the location.

This is an interesting topic though...Since EN actually stores location data in lat/long, it would be nice to be able to retrieve that info while on a mobile client. They are generally the devices that would make use of such information anyway...

I know that in the android client, it is possible to (eventually) get the lat/long (tap the locaiton info in the note, and a search of the coords are searched in maps where you can grab them) but I haven't tried this on iOS recently so I can't really comment on that...

At any rate, easy access to the location data, as stored, in the mobile clients would be something that could be quite useful. :)

Scott

it would be nice to be able to retrieve that info while on a mobile client. They are generally the devices that would make use of such information anyway...

Agreed. I was out and about running errands, so I had access to the mobile client, but not the desktop client. Would be nice to be able to get the coords from the mobile client.

• 1 year later...

I am also interested in easily retrieving the coordinates of my note locations (in decimal degrees). I am not interested in geocoded place names. Is there a way in the current version of EN to simply extract and display the actual geographic coordinates?

Archived