(Archived) Mac Appstore pricing issue...

Luce

Idea

Hello,

We've recently decided to utilise Evernote Premium in our Marketing Department. I've installed the premium version via the Mac Appstore on 2 of our machines without any issues and have paid £2.99 to receive the premium services for 1 month.

I've come to do the same on a third machine which originally had the web version of Evernote 3.3.0 installed. I've deleted this and downloaded the Mac Appstore version and gone to upgrade. However the pricing is completely different to the other 2 I have just done. Instead of £2.99 a month it's now saying it's £4.00 a month. Some research tells me this is the pricing structure for the Web version of Evernote...

Could anyone help me with rectifying this. The app in the Mac Appstore is still advertised as £2.99 a month and, of course, that's what we'd like to pay...

Thanks

Lucy

13 replies to this idea

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply...

There most certainly is a difference in price as the screenshots below detail. On the Mac Appstore Evernote offer an inApp purchase price which is lower for both a year's subscription or a month's. There is no statement that the features differ either.

Here is the price on the Evernote website taken from this page - http://evernote.com/premium/

bWydN.png

Then a screen shot from the App on the Mac I am trying to sign up to it...

l46Oo.png

Then another from the Mac Appstore which shows the alternate pricing on the bottom right...

uN0QA.jpg

Here it is shown as an inApp purchase. If needs be I can get a screen shot of the actual in app purchase screen from another Mac which I will be purchasing premium on later. It's the same as the second picture above but says £31.99 for a year ans £2.99 for a month.

I have just purchased premium on 2 separate macs though for £2.99 each for a month.

Thanks

Lucy

Thanks for that link, however I must not have been clear as it would seem you've led me down the wrong path for my answer.... From what I'm reading, people have seen varying exchange rates and VAT differentials and a silent increase in the premium pricing which has nothing to do with what I have asked. Unfortunately, I'm still left with my original question.

Why is the Premium upgrade being advertised at £2.99 a month on the Mac AppStore. (Important to note that the price stated is in Great British Pounds) Yet on the Evernote website it's priced at £4. You can clearly see this from the screenshots I have posted above on request.

More importantly... I've just upgraded 2 Macs for £2.99 and I've come to do the third and it's showing a price of £4. This was within 5 minutes of doing the others.

I think it may be something to do with having the web version of Evernote previously installed and then installing it through the Mac AppStore. I'm going to clear the caches and logs in the Mac libraries and see if that solves the issue.

Thanks.

On this particular Mac the Application was installed as a desktop program before the Mac AppStore was in existence. This is what I mean when I say the web version. The version of the software which was downloaded from the Evernote website. Not the version that you use through a browser.

Now the Evernote website directs you to the Mac AppStore which promotes the Premium upgrade as a £2.99 in app purchase.

On this particular Mac the Application was installed as a desktop program before the Mac AppStore was in existence. This is what I mean when I say the web version. The version of the software which was downloaded from the Evernote website. Not the version that you use through a browser.

The first one is the Mac client. The second one is the web client. ALL of the clients are free. The premium charge refers only to the features available to the user & absolutely nothing to do with the client being used.

Thanks for that link, however I must not have been clear as it would seem you've led me down the wrong path for my answer.... From what I'm reading, people have seen varying exchange rates and VAT differentials and a silent increase in the premium pricing which has nothing to do with what I have asked. Unfortunately, I'm still left with my original question.

It is indeed addressing the question you asked. Per Heather's post in the thread I linked to:

Yeah, it still actually *is* $5/mo, $45/year, but in countries that charge VAT, they're exercising their right to charge it.

It would seem the 3rd computer's country and/or credit card/payment method you are using must differ from the first two & you are being charged VAT.

It would seem the 3rd computer's country and/or credit card/payment method you are using must differ from the first two & you are being charged VAT.

From what I can gather, the difference is in the installation.

As I understand it, there are currently two ways to install EN on a mac. Through the app store or directly from EN. I believe that there are some differences between the two, related to the workings of the app store.

So, in the UK app store the in app purchase costs less than going directly to Evernote. This, I think is the issue being discussed. (with two computers being app store purchases and a third not from app store)

Interestingly, no difference in the US app store...($5 / $45)

So:

UK

Mac App Store (In store purchase)

- £2.99 / Month

- £31.99 / Year

Directly from Evernote

- £4 / Month

- £35 /Year

To clarify, the pricing for premium doesn't (read shouldn't) differ between the different clients, but it does here though the app store.

From what I can gather, the difference is in the installation.

As I understand it, there are currently two ways to install EN on a mac. Through the app store or directly from EN. I believe that there are some differences between the two, related to the workings of the app store.

So, in the UK app store the in app purchase costs less than going directly to Evernote. This, I think is the issue being discussed. (with two computers being app store purchases and a third not from app store)

Interestingly, no difference in the US app store...($5 / $45)

So:

UK

Mac App Store (In store purchase)

- £2.99 / Month

- £31.99 / Year

Directly from Evernote

- £4 / Month

- £35 /Year

To clarify, the pricing for premium doesn't (read shouldn't) differ between the different clients, but it does here though the app store.

But OP says the third one is also using the Mac Appstore version, unless I'm overlooking something...???

We've recently decided to utilise Evernote Premium in our Marketing Department. I've installed the premium version via the Mac Appstore on 2 of our machines without any issues and have paid £2.99 to receive the premium services for 1 month.

I've come to do the same on a third machine which originally had the web version of Evernote 3.3.0 installed. I've deleted this and downloaded the Mac Appstore version and gone to upgrade. However the pricing is completely different to the other 2 I have just done. Instead of £2.99 a month it's now saying it's £4.00 a month. Some research tells me this is the pricing structure for the Web version of Evernote...

Thank you Scott...

Just to note the credit card is exactly the same in all instances as it is a company credit card.

VAT is 20% so the price based on the Mac AppStore cost of £2.99 would be £3.59 not £4 so I'm still baffled....

Yes the third Mac is using the Mac AppStore version. Hence my question... Why aren't I getting Mac AppStore pricing when I was on the 2 others???

But OP says the third one is also using the Mac Appstore version, unless I'm overlooking something...???

Missed that line, sorry. So the original installation situation had 2 mac store, 1 not. Now all are from the mac store.

Yes the third Mac is using the Mac AppStore version. Hence my question... Why aren't I getting Mac AppStore pricing when I was on the 2 others???

And therein lies the issue, why the difference? That, I don't know...Possibly one for Evernote to answer I think.

Hi Luce,

Sometimes we link to the Mac appstore instead of publishing our own Mac client builds, but sometimes you'll be able to download a Mac client directly from Evernote. One of the differences between the Mac appstore build and the Evernote website build is the price for Evernote Premium.

The appstore build will charge the same price as the Mac appstore, which is currently 2.99 GBP. The website build will charge the same price as our website Checkout page, which as you have discovered, is currently 4.00 GBP. There is no difference in feature set between the two - Premium is Premium. We try to charge a consistent price across all platforms, so the discrepancy in Mac pricing will eventually go away. In the meantime, you can get a slight discount if you upgrade to Premium on the Mac.

It should be impossible to pay Web prices from the Mac appstore build, but it's possible there's a display bug. If you try clicking the button, it should take you to the Apple login and you should be charged 2.99 to your iTunes account. If you click the button and it takes you to the Checkout webpage, you probably don't have a clean appstore build and should try re-deleting and re-installing from the appstore. Either way please let me know what happens so I can file the appropriate bug. Thanks!

--Nancy

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for the response and confirming that there is indeed a difference in price. No matter what I do though I can't seem to upgrade through the Mac AppStore on this rogue machine. Completely fresh install, it just links back to the Evernote website when the 1 month button is clicked. I can't for the life of me work out why it didn't do that on the other 2 machines and why they automatically opened up the AppStore and requested a sign in.

Thanks for the advice though, it was worth a try!

Lucy

Archived