(Archived) Evernote Freezes When Saving Data

BigMcGuire

Idea

Evernote 3.3 from Mac App Store

Macbook Air 2011 128GB SSD (101GB free) OS X Mountain Lion

On a Verizon FIOS WiFi connection

Basically, say I am in a notebook with 2 notes.. I edit the text in one note, then click on the other note, Evernote hangs for a good 20+ seconds giving me the spinning beachball. It doesn't matter if I'm full screen or not - same thing. There is no significant CPU or disk activity during this Evernote freeze. After the freeze is over, everything works - until I change data in a note, then try to move to another note - then there is another "hang."

I've uninstalled, reinstalled, and tried a number of things (restarting, etc...). No effect for now.

I'm a software developer so if I can help in any way let me know. This doesn't happen on my Windows boxes. :(

Thanks!

-Paul

39 replies to this idea

• Level 5

We definitely care about our users! Even you Mr. Mcguire! We read the forums regularly and try to address problems as best we can. A lot of app developers (not just EN) have been seeing ML/Sandboxing related issues and we working diligently to fix them. Hopefully, you'll come check us out with the next update!

• Level 5

If you are willing (and have no unsynced notebooks), try using our direct download version by following these steps:

1. Close Evernote

2. Close Evernote's toolbar helper (elephant in the toolbar)

3. Trash Evernote's app

4. Install the app from here: http://evernote.com/evernote/index.php?file=EvernoteMac

Let me know if you still experience the freezes. If so, perhaps you could describe the situation that led to the freezes? Were you using multiple Evernote windows? etc

Jack,

it's not only about installing a new version which fixes the stall-behavior. Serialization and upload to the cloud broke when Apple updated their OS. Now I have plenty of notes that I can't export (its always empty body, header/title is ok) and re-import easily into a new version. I have luckily still both apps and the old one still contains my notes because both save data in different locations (maybe because of the Sandbox change). All this information is available to your support (case #16051-145592 ) - I haven't heard back from them for a while now and I still have no solution for something that broke 2 months ago. I wonder why I subscribed for Premium.

If you can offer a tool that allows me to selected entries from the old local database and re-import those into the local databse of the new EverNote version, that would probably handle/close my case. Right now I am not so keen to go through so many notes and copy and paste them out manually.

Just adding to the list…

I also have the same problems, and have opened a support ticket #16051-156639.

• I reinstalled the app using the suggested method and a different method that included removing all preference & cache files
  • I tried reinstalling on 3 separate macs all running 10.8.2
  • I have confirmed the issue on 5 macs.
  • I can confirm that IOS devices WILL update to the Evernote cloud servers, but the mac clients will not.
  • I can confirm that Mac clients WILL READ from the Evernote cloud servers but NOT write.
  • It seems as if the freezing issue has gotten worse where Evernote routinely crashes along with freezing for 30seconds every 2-3 minutes.

So far support has only suggested a reinstall, that has not worked. I only noticed the issue after updating to Mac os 10.8.2, however I can not be certain that the issue is linked to the 10.8.2 update.

Same here:

I'm having the EXACT same problem. Brand new 15" MBP with Retina Display, 16GB ram running OSX Lion. Been dying to use evernote for my classes but this makes it unusable. It'll beach ball no matter what at least once or twice every 5 minutes. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail.

I hope that issue will be fixed soon. Thank you!

This is a windows 7 problem as well. I just installed it and it hangs everytime i work on a note. Its obviously saving the note. It hangs a bit everytime a tag is dragged and dropped on a note and when adding tags. Im using EN to deploy both GTD and TSW but i gots to tell you, its very frustrating to have to stop in the middle of typing to wait for it to unfreeze. It seems to record my input if i keep typing after it hangs but it REALLY slows me down. This is horrible when brainstorming.

Hope you guys get this patched as i want to go premium soon but the software HAS to be able to keep up with my typing speed at minimum.

LOVE IT beyond that tho! ^_^

Update. I can confirm that using CleanMyMac does work. However do NOT download from the mac app store - download directly from Evernote Every time I download from the app store the problem persists. Evernote needs to address the issue with their version or methodology associated with the mac app store.

I happily used Evernote for quite some time and then a couple of months ago when I opened EN, nothing was there. I don't know why the change, but it sure worried me. I'd begun to depend on EN as my file cabinet for everything. Since then, I've learned that the syncing process takes forever and that I'm never sure if what I've clipped really gets into EN. Today I decided to investigate to see if others are having similar problems and, based on above, I'm shifting gears. Am starting to migrate all files elsewhere. And I was so hoping that one day EN and Insightly would combine to be the ultimate digital organizing tool. Darn. MBAir OSX 10.7.5.

It took me a while to find this thread, but I'm glad I did. Removing the app with CleanMyMac and reinstalling using the link worked. I was freaking out. I didn't realize how dependent I had become on EN. There went my afternoon...

1. Download CleanMyMac (free trial) and drag Evernote on there.

2. Uninstall.

3. Download Evernote again from http://evernote.com/...ile=EvernoteMac rather than App Store.

I confirm that MarkDub's methods gives a working installation that actually fully syncs to the cloud. Even updating through the App store to the newest version resulted in that stalling and body/content-ignoring cloud-sync behavior. I don't understand that they are not able to find out how the sandboxing mode is causing troubles for some of their users and how to fix it for them. It's even more annoying as some people lost so many notes due to this.

Thanks for the workaround! I was going nuts.

I would like to propose a slight change to the current workaround to save mis-synced content before uninstalling

1. Open Evernote twice: once from Mac and again from the Evernote website. Set both sources to list all notes sorted backwards by modification date
  2. Walk through all notes identifying those that have content on the desktop version but not in the web version. Copy the missing content from the desktop version to the web version
  3. Once you're convinced that you've gone far enough back in time to have found all the mis-synced notes, proceed to the rest of the workaround.
  4. Download and run CleanMyMac (trial)
  5. Drag the Evernote app from your Applications folder to the "Uninstall Applications" part of the CleanMyMac UI
  6. Alter CleanMyMac has done its scan, click "Uninstall"
  7. Download and install a fresh version of Evernote from http://evernote.com/evernote/index.php?file=EvernoteMac rather than from the Mac App Store.
  8. Enjoy Evernote without the annoying beach ball delays!

I too have been having this problem. (Only started yesterday, though I've been using the Mac for about 3 weeks!) Brand new MBP 13" Retina. All is fine on my iPad and iPhone.

Just about to try the fix that has been recommended and I'll update this post if it works. I just want to record it as I've just submitted a Support Ticket.

I have the same situation.  Using 10.6.8. It just started happening recently. Perhaps as a result of Evernote update?

Date/Time:       2013-11-30 15:20:08 -0500
OS Version:      10.6.8 (Build 10K549)
Architecture:    x86_64
Report Version:  7

Command:         Evernote
Path:            /Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/MacOS/Evernote
Version:         5.4.3 (402231)
Parent:          launchd [3781]

PID:             20518
Event:           hang
Duration:        6.72s (sampling started after 2 seconds)
Steps:           27 (100ms sampling interval)

Pageins:         0
Pageouts:        0

Process:         Evernote [20518]
Path:            /Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/MacOS/Evernote
UID:             501

Thread 8269a      DispatchQueue 1
  User stack:
    27 start + 52 (in Evernote) [0x1000021f4]
      27 NSApplicationMain + 364 (in AppKit) [0x7fff866243b0]
        27 -[NSApplication run] + 395 (in AppKit) [0x7fff8662b68f]
          27 -[NSApplication nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 155 (in AppKit) [0x7fff86665801]
            27 _DPSNextEvent + 1191 (in AppKit) [0x7fff86666095]
              27 AEProcessAppleEvent + 48 (in HIToolbox) [0x7fff80de1619]
                27 aeProcessAppleEvent + 210 (in AE) [0x7fff898bc12b]
                  27 dispatchEventAndSendReply(AEDesc const*, AEDesc*) + 32 (in AE) [0x7fff898bc224]
                    27 aeDispatchAppleEvent(AEDesc const*, AEDesc*, unsigned int, unsigned char*) + 162 (in AE) [0x7fff898bc32b]
                      27 _NSAppleEventManagerGenericHandler + 114 (in Foundation) [0x7fff84860f06]
                        27 -[NSAppleEventManager dispatchRawAppleEvent:withRawReply:handlerRefCon:] + 360 (in Foundation) [0x7fff848610d6]
                          27 -[NSApplication(NSAppleEventHandling) _handleCoreEvent:withReplyEvent:] + 77 (in AppKit) [0x7fff86760fd9]
                            27 -[NSApplication(NSAppleEventHan
  • Level 5*

I do have occasional beachballs, and I am not sure why, because I am on a brand new machine. However, the behavior doesn't occur very often. If you are seeing this a lot, then that is a problem, and support (see my signature) is probably your best bet for solving it.

I have the same issue and it happens all the time. It's really annoying. After an edit when it saves, the app stops being reactive and playing the spinning ball for a while. I have this since lion or the evernote update that came right after.

I also have MacBook Air with Lion.

I have the same issue and it happens all the time. It's really annoying. After an edit when it saves, the app stops being reactive and playing the spinning ball for a while. I have this since lion or the evernote update that came right after.

I also have MacBook Air with Lion.

THANK YOU for posting. I KNEW I wasn't the only one having this problem. I checked all my settings, being a software developer I have customized Mac OS X ML quite a bit... but I didn't think anything would affect writes to the HD. Thank you for posting this! There must not be a lot of Evernote Mac users...

Same thing happens to me. I make ANY EDIT - whether pasting text, writing text, adding spaces to the end of a line - and if I move to another note, I instantly get a beachball and it doesn't move to the other note. I've timed these lockups to be anywhere from 10 seconds to 1 minute averaging about 30 seconds. Makes Evernote completely unusable. I had 2 premium accounts. But with this happening, I'm looking elsewhere for my documents. Haven't found anything as awesome as Evernote yet... So TextWrangler it is...

What frustrated me about this was - no one else was reporting this in the forums. lol. So again, thanks for posting this.

I'm having the EXACT same problem. Brand new 15" MBP with Retina Display, 16GB ram running OSX Lion. Been dying to use evernote for my classes but this makes it unusable. It'll beach ball no matter what at least once or twice every 5 minutes. I've been using Word notebook view as a substitute. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail.

I'm having the EXACT same problem. Brand new 15" MBP with Retina Display, 16GB ram running OSX Lion. Been dying to use evernote for my classes but this makes it unusable. It'll beach ball no matter what at least once or twice every 5 minutes. I've been using Word notebook view as a substitute. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail.

One nice thing about Evernote is that they have a great refund policy. :) Nice to get your money back from a flawed product that was pushed out to the public and continues to have problems even though users report them. Best wishes to Evernote, best wishes to people who use it. Adios.

Funny as heck... Evernote is getting a ton of low reviews in the Mac Apps store. They are aware of this problem but haven't done anything about it. I'd love to use Evernote and I'd love to pay for premium but man, talk about shoddy support for Mac users. Even after all this time! It's amazing. I guess even the greats have to fall sometime and somewhere.

I've resorted to using TextWrangler (Mac) and Notepad++ (Windows) and Dropbox to keep all my stuff in sync. It's nice to know that at least I'm not dependent on a company that doesn't give a ***** about its software. I miss the searching and the ability to keep everything in one place instead of a folder structure. Was easier to find stuff too. Oh well. Times are a changing! The less dependent you are on a company like Evernote, you won't have to worry about stuff like this when they don't give a ***** about a portion of their users.

Hopefully OneNote comes to Mac someday? Considering even moving all my stuff to Google Docs since I have a Chromebook too. lol.

VooDooPad is nice but Mac only. Springpad is web only. Amazing. :/

Goes to show you when a company (Evernote) has no competition ... there's no need to care about users or keeping its program great.

• Level 5*

I have the exact same problem. Uninstalling and reinstalling again didn't help. It's been maybe more than a month now.

I recommend opening a support ticket (see the link in my signature). If you could post your ticket number and keep us updated that will help any other users experiencing this issue.

I am having exactly the same problem. And I can't find where the local storage: "/User/<User Name>/Library/Application Support/Evernote/Data". As suggested by other users to clear the local storage and re-synch may help with the freezing problem. Yeah, it is very annoying to wait for the beach ball spinning.

I'm seeing Evernote freeze regularly when I try to edit anything. Using Evernote 3.3.0 with Mac 10.7.4 on a MacBook Pro.

I'll add that I don't recall seeing this issue until I installed the Evernote plugin for Google Chrome. I've since disabled and uninstalled the plugin, but the beachballs continue regardless.

It might be due to having a Wacom tablet and/or Handwriting Recognition turned on. I was having a similar problem in Evernote, Textedit, and Preview. Turning handwriting recognition off in the Ink preference pane of System Settings seems to have completely fixed the problem. See the following link on Apple's support site for more discussion and details.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4170746?start=0&tstart=0

For those who have this issue, I recommend to check if their notes are actually synced to the cloud servers. In my case, since I have this stalling problem, none of the notes was correctly uploaded (body text is empty) - I discovered that when updating to a never client version. You probably can verify the same by going to the web-interface.

I still have this problem... None of the suggestions above fixed anything. It is so annoying. Even though I used to love Evernote but I should ask: Is there any good alternative to Evernote? And can I export all my notes to those alternatives? (I'm using Mac)

Archived