(Archived) REQUEST

vmills

Idea

Please add a "comment" area under the info panel or by the tag field so that when we clip an article or full page we can add a few notes about it. I've read that you're supposed to be able to postition the cursor, hit return, move the cursor back up and begin typing. Sometimes this works, sometimes not. If it works it often picks up the formatting of the first clipped line. Bascially, the whole thing is *way* more time-consuming / complicated than it should be, and I feel sure a *lot* of people want to add a quick note to the things they clip.

13 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Please add a "comment" area under the info panel or by the tag field so that when we clip an article or full page we can add a few notes about it. I've read that you're supposed to be able to postition the cursor, hit return, move the cursor back up and begin typing. Sometimes this works, sometimes not. If it works it often picks up the formatting of the first clipped line. Bascially, the whole thing is *way* more time-consuming / complicated than it should be, and I feel sure a *lot* of people want to add a quick note to the things they clip.

Hi. I think rather than inserting blank lines into your clippings so that you can write something into the note, Evernote gives you the option at the time you clip with the Chrome and Safari Web Clippers (see https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/adb562ab-89b5-4963-8454-aaa5cf4bd255/c61264963983724f8996ec8845e4fdb5).

• Level 5*

Here's my screenshot. I don't see that "Add Comment" field:

I think you attached an image of the shared note that I posted. Did you see the images that were inside the note from the Safari and Chrome web clippers?

No, my screen shot was of my clip of the url you posted with the screenshots. If you look, you'll see there is no Comments field. But what you wrote tipped me off. I use Firefox, and I guess this is a browser issue, because that field *does* appear in Chrome and Safari. Too bad I don't use them as my primary browser. Any chance of seeing this feature in Firefox?

• Level 5*

No, my screen shot was of my clip of the url you posted with the screenshots. If you look, you'll see there is no Comments field. But what you wrote tipped me off. I use Firefox, and I guess this is a browser issue, because that field *does* appear in Chrome and Safari. Too bad I don't use them as my primary browser. Any chance of seeing this feature in Firefox?

I am not sure we are talking about the same thing. I think you might be talking about the clipped page inside your Evernote account. I am talking about the step before you clip a web page (see the screenshots -- the images in my note https://www.evernote...996ec8845e4fdb5). Evernote provides a field for you to enter comments. I provided screenshots of Safari and Chrome, but Evernote also has a Web Clipper for Firefox (https://addons.mozil...te-web-clipper/), and it has this field included as well.

OK, I've attached two more screenshots: one from Chrome, showing the Comments field, and one from Firefox, showing my options when I click on the web clipper: as you can see the options on Firefox are limited. By the way I'm on a Mac and the webclipper version for Firefox is 5.1.0.252437

post-61564-0-45059100-1343069372_thumb.j

post-61564-0-33490300-1343069384_thumb.j

• Level 5*

OK, I've attached two more screenshots: one from Chrome, showing the Comments field, and one from Firefox, showing my options when I click on the web clipper: as you can see the options on Firefox are limited. By the way I'm on a Mac and the webclipper version for Firefox is 5.1.0.252437

OK. I see what you are saying. The screenshot on the Firefox plugin page looks totally different than yours, so something is going on here. Let me install Firefox (haven't gotten around to it with my new computer) and I'll see if I can get it to work.

• Level 5*

OK. I installed FF and the plugin. Mine looks the same as yours. There is no option for comments. Maybe there used to be (they have a screenshot on the plugin page that shows it). Hopefully, they bring it back! If you are going to use another browser, I like Chrome a lot :)

Thanks for following up. I hope they monitor these forums to see there's a problem. I may switch to Chrome someday but I have so much stuff set up in Firefox it's just extra time and effort I hadn't wanted to spend - but I think these days it's the better browser - and those EN comments sure would be nice!

• Level 5*

Thanks for following up. I hope they monitor these forums to see there's a problem. I may switch to Chrome someday but I have so much stuff set up in Firefox it's just extra time and effort I hadn't wanted to spend - but I think these days it's the better browser - and those EN comments sure would be nice!

The developers / Evernote staff regularly wander through here, and I think it will be seen. Thanks for reporting it!

I can't really see the image at the moment, but it looks like it is set to send the clip to the Desktop Client.

This can be changed to send to the web client instead, allowing you to add comments.

See:

https://www.evernote.com/pub/spgscott/evernote-help#b=ca136823-f4bd-45ef-9b71-4e942a351b16&n=9f57db0c-3911-4fbe-a4c8-28f755d49c2a/

Scott

• Level 5*

I can't really see the image at the moment, but it looks like it is set to send the clip to the Desktop Client.

This can be changed to send to the web client instead, allowing you to add comments.

See:

https://www.evernote...8-28f755d49c2a/

Scott

Yep. That's it!

I've got a screenshot here (https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/adb562ab-89b5-4963-8454-aaa5cf4bd255/c61264963983724f8996ec8845e4fdb5). Thanks Scott for figuring that out :)

Archived