(Archived) A few issues with shared notebooks

pattygolsteijn

Idea

I've been using the shared notebooks for a while now but the whole experience is making me move to Dropbox, esp with issues I've been experiencing today.

• Copying a shared note to another notebook creates an empty new note in the new notebook
  • Moving a shared note makes the note disappear!
  • Saving a shared note to Dropbox gives me its old name instead of the new. So transferring my 100+ shared notes means I would have to rename ALL of them...
  • Deleting a shared note ... the disappearing thing again. Not in my trash... No way for me to bring it back. Can't find it through search either.

These are basic things that I would definitely expect from a product like Evernote to keep using it... And I am not happy at all right now.

18 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Alright, thanks for your help so far! I am switching to Dropbox for this part though (it's for a client of mine). Helps to know I can better use Dropbox for these types of things.

I'm glad I could help! I'll close out that shared notebook now. Feel free to contact me again (in a thread or private mail) if you ever want to do more testing. Hopefully, the information you have provided about your use case will help the developers further improve the shared notebooks in the future.

• Level 5*

(1) Good. It looks like we have solved this problem with the upgrade.

(2) I don't know what I was thinking, but I must have been copying when I thought I was moving. Apparently, you cannot move a note if it is in a notebook that someone else has shared with you. Only the owner of the notebook can do that.

(4) I think that it showed up in my trash. Let's do it again after I restore the note.

(2) Yep, for me that's a basic feature to use this without having to copy everything, checking if it went right and deleting the older note.

(4) JUst deleted the 'Delete me' note! Still not showing up in my trash. Syncing manually doesn't help.

(2) I am not sure why we cannot move notes, but we can delete them. There may be some unpleasant side effects to having this feature available to users who are sharing a notebook, so I think I am probably agnostic on this one. If they put it into the notebook, fine. If not, I am OK too.

(4) The note showed up in my Trash (https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/39fe2d21-d386-4593-8662-bde01ad2e8d8/d2de260c5ae3a4317adca72f4babbbf9). I deleted a note from a notebook someone else shared with me, and it showed up in my trash, so I am not sure why it is not in yours. It might be because I am running a different version of Evernote (beta). At any rate, it makes sense. It is my notebook, so if you delete it, it goes in my trash (not yours).

It looks like we have figured things out here. I wonder if you would mind sharing your use case. It might help the developers when they are considering changes to the shared notebook system.

(2) I don't know what I was thinking, but I must have been copying when I thought I was moving. Apparently, you cannot move a note if it is in a notebook that someone else has shared with you. Only the owner of the notebook can do that.

(4) I think that it showed up in my trash. Let's do it again after I restore the note.

(2) Yep, for me that's a basic feature to use this without having to copy everything, checking if it went right and deleting the older note.

(4) JUst deleted the 'Delete me' note! Still not showing up in my trash. Syncing manually doesn't help.

• Level 5*

Ok, so copying a note is working fine again.

I selected 2 notes, but 'Move to notebook' is grey and I can't click it.

Deleting a note from your notebook still doesn't show up in my Trash or anywhere else. (Count for my trash stays the same.)

• Level 5*

Yep. I agree. Can you confirm that you have synced your desktop client? You may need to go to the notebook, right-click on it, and manage notebook settings to adjust the sync timing. Even without doing this, though, it should sync when you press the regular sync button on the top toolbar.

I can see the document. How did you copy the document? I am guessing that you did it on the Web version and your desktop app hasn't yet synced (you may need to press the sync button, or wait a few minutes, depending on how you have set your preferences).

I dragged it from Dropbox to Evernote. But I've synced manually a few times, see my previous message.

• Level 5*

Even weirder things: I just copied a document from Dropbox to the Evernote shared notebook for testing. The count says 1, but the notebook stays empty. The note is visible in the web version though...

This happened after switching from the Mac App Store version to the Evernote download version.

I can see the document. How did you copy the document? I am guessing that you did it on the Web version and your desktop app hasn't yet synced (you may need to press the sync button, or wait a few minutes, depending on how you have set your preferences). For those of you who want to follow along, I will post screenshots in this note.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/39fe2d21-d386-4593-8662-bde01ad2e8d8/d2de260c5ae3a4317adca72f4babbbf9

Even weirder things: I just copied a document from Dropbox to the Evernote shared notebook for testing. The count says 1, but the notebook stays empty. The note is visible in the web version though...

This happened after switching from the Mac App Store version to the Evernote download version.

• Level 5*

(1) + (2) Strange!

(3) Yes, it's ok now

(4) Weird as well! I would like to test indeed, because this is all become quite frustrating.

I use 3.1.0 I just noticed that I missed 2 updates. So I updated to 3.1.2, wanted to open and then got an error that Evernote was damaged and I had to download it again... :S So now I'm downloading again and probably have to sync all over, so it'll take a while.

Hi. I think it might be a good idea to download directly from Evernote, if you are not doing that already https://support.evernote.com/link/portal/16051/16058/Article/3545/Switching-Evernote-from-the-Mac-App-Store-version-to-the-Evernote-com-Version

Once you are done with that, let's test it all out. I will send you a link to a shared notebook by PM.

(1) + (2) Strange!

(3) Yes, it's ok now

(4) Weird as well! I would like to test indeed, because this is all become quite frustrating.

I use 3.1.0 I just noticed that I missed 2 updates. So I updated to 3.1.2, wanted to open and then got an error that Evernote was damaged and I had to download it again... :S So now I'm downloading again and probably have to sync all over, so it'll take a while.

• Level 5*

To clarify: I'm talking about copying and moving from one shared notebook to another shared notebook. And these notebooks have been shared with me, not the other way around.

(3) No, I mean saving the attachments. But I now understand that the attachment is something different from a note.

(4) So, where does a deleted shared note end up in your account?

A little clearer now. Thanks.

(1) I am still unclear about this, because I have no problem copying notes from other people's shared notebooks, regardless of whether the notebook was shared with the world (no editing privileges) or shared with modification privileges.

(2) I am not seeing this. The note moves fine.

(3) Is this one OK, then?

(4) The note ends up in my trash. I just tested it. I could share a notebook with you by private mail if you'd like so that we can test this together.

What version of Evernote are you using?

To clarify: I'm talking about copying and moving from one shared notebook to another shared notebook. And these notebooks have been shared with me, not the other way around.

(3) No, I mean saving the attachments. But I now understand that the attachment is something different from a note.

(4) So, where does a deleted shared note end up in your account?

• Level 5*

I've been using the shared notebooks for a while now but the whole experience is making me move to Dropbox, esp with issues I've been experiencing today.

• Copying a shared note to another notebook creates an empty new note in the new notebook
  • Moving a shared note makes the note disappear!
  • Saving a shared note to Dropbox gives me its old name instead of the new. So transferring my 100+ shared notes means I would have to rename ALL of them...
  • Deleting a shared note ... the disappearing thing again. Not in my trash... No way for me to bring it back. Can't find it through search either.

These are basic things that I would definitely expect from a product like Evernote to keep using it... And I am not happy at all right now.

Hi Patty. I am a little confused by your post, because I am not seeing those problems:

(1) No problem. Notes I have shared, and notes shared with me copy fine.

(2) No problem. Notes I have shared move fine.

(3) I have not tried this. Do you mean you exported the notes as HTML and saved them into Dropbox?

(4) Deleting a note I have shared works fine.

It might be because I am running Version 3.3.0 Beta 1 (300144). Or, it might be because I misunderstood you. Could you explain what you are doing in a little more detail?

Archived