Telephone numbers typed into notes have no automatic links to dialler

Hi members,

I used Evernote to record details of people I meet at specific places.

This includes names and phone numbers for each new person.

In previous version of Evernote , phone numbers automatically have direct links to the dialler which enables me to click on the number to dial the person.

I am currently using version 4.1 Build 20, which does not appear to have this function built in.

I have searched the net and have not found any solution.

Would someone have a solution to this or am I doing something wrong?

I would appreciate any help this forum can offer

Thank you kindly. .....Billyoui

• Level 5*

So far as I know it's never been possible to activate the dialler directly in this way, unless another app can add that functionality.. certainly doesn't work on my current version. Good feature request though...

It's always worked for me, so I'm not sure what's wrong in your case. Could it be the way you write out the phone numbers? Do you use periods to separate the numbers or some other format that might not be recognized?

I use it all the time for phone numbers and addresses.

Been experimenting with this.

My dialer gets activated on pressing only a ten digit number. Not a digit less/more. Not even if I add a '0' or add the country code.

Not sure also if its only ICS specific.

May Evernote Employee can comment on this whether this feature is available for EN or only works in ICS.

EN 4.1 public

Android 4.0.4

So far as I know it's never been possible to activate the dialler directly in this way, unless another app can add that functionality.. certainly doesn't work on my current version. Good feature request though...

Appreciate your comment but it has worked for me before. After reading other replies the problem might be either because 1) I migrated to ICS and/or 2) the current version of Evernote does not have this function. Will install previous version to see if that works...then will post with result. Thanks

It's always worked for me, so I'm not sure what's wrong in your case. Could it be the way you write out the phone numbers? Do you use periods to separate the numbers or some other format that might not be recognized?

I use it all the time for phone numbers and addresses.

Thank you for your input. After reading your reply the problem might be either because 1) I migrated to ICS and/or 2) the current version of Evernote does not have this function. Will install previous version to see if that works...then will post with result. Thanks again. :)

Works for me also. The dialer pops-up with the number entered, then you have to press dial.

Samsung Galaxy Nexus

android 4.1.1

EN 4.1 public

Regards,

Gary

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your response. I am using Samsung Galaxy S2. It looks like my problem might be either 1) I migrated to ICS and/or 2) the current version of Evernote does not have this function. Will install previous version to see if that works...then will post with result. Thanks

Been experimenting with this.

My dialer gets activated on pressing only a ten digit number. Not a digit less/more. Not even if I add a '0' or add the country code.

Not sure also if its only ICS specific.

May Evernote Employee can comment on this whether this feature is available for EN or only works in ICS.

EN 4.1 public

Android 4.0.4

Thank you for your advice. Have tried with different numbers without any result. It should be automatically activated as previously. Will try installing a previous version of Evernote to see if I can get the functionality back. Will post back with result.

Hi Guys,

I have re-installed previous version 3.5.1 of Evernote.

Unfortunately telephone numbers recorded still do not have links to the dialler.

To satisfy my curiousity, I have just installed other notepad programs to see if the problem exist with them - "Note Everything", "Catch" & " Colour Note".

It is interesting that with these other programs 'direct links' are activated once a telephone number is recorded.

Numbers display highlighted as 'blue and underlined' as normal.

It is a mystery as to why Evernote does not appear to have this function activated (in my SGS2 anyway), although it did worked for me in an older version in November 2011.

Well... maybe an Evernote technical person might offer an explanation.

Regards....Billyoui

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the exact same problem and for me it's a big issue , I've contacted evernote 2-3 month ago and they said they passes it to the technical team , since then I'm checking for updates in the google play almost everyday and immediatly install updates once they get realeasd but no fix.

the most interesting is the fact that if someone create a note with Iphone and transfer it to me I can press numbers with no problem , which means they only need to put the righ tags around the number and it will work like magic... it's not even a big fix for the evernote team...

we seriously thinking about moving to other notes app because of that.

I'm having the exact same problem and for me it's a big issue , I've contacted evernote 2-3 month ago and they said they passes it to the technical team , since then I'm checking for updates in the google play almost everyday and immediatly install updates once they get realeasd but no fix.

the most interesting is the fact that if someone create a note with Iphone and transfer it to me I can press numbers with no problem , which means they only need to put the righ tags around the number and it will work like magic... it's not even a big fix for the evernote team...

we seriously thinking about moving to other notes app because of that.

Hi Rotman...I share your frustration about this seemingly 'easy to fix' . Life is about choices & I feel that I have spent enough time on this issue so I have migrated to 'Catch' & loving it . It even has wonderful new features that I have grown to love. It is uncomplicated and stays with the basic direction of having 'notes' in the first place. At time of writing it is excellent for my use and I would think it will get better in time . Frustration does nothing but wears us out. 'Catch' it ,,,& feel good. Cheers

• 1 month later...

This is exactly my problem! I had posted separately before finding this. Same comments by other users that some of them can do it but I still cannot!

Just one thought I had...would this be a premium feature by any chance? I am just using free version (Android 4.2.1)....perhaps grasping at straws here.

Critical function for me....will check out 'Catch' in the meantime.

• 1 month later...

Same with me. Direct dialing works fine on my Galaxy Tab with a former andoid version, on my new S3 with android 4.1.1 there is no dialer activated when I tap on a phone number in evernote. Have tried all possible number formats, none works. Contacted evernote support, they told me the connection to the dialer app is no evernote function but a function of the phone or andoid itself. So I installed another phone app, still no direct dialing functionality. Any ideas here? Would be a big help, I hate it that I cant use my evernote as a contact manager any more...

Same with me. Direct dialing works fine on my Galaxy Tab with a former andoid version, on my new S3 with android 4.1.1 there is no dialer activated when I tap on a phone number in evernote. Have tried all possible number formats, none works. Contacted evernote support, they told me the connection to the dialer app is no evernote function but a function of the phone or andoid itself. So I installed another phone app, still no direct dialing functionality. Any ideas here? Would be a big help, I hate it that I cant use my evernote as a contact manager any more...

it's not working since android 4.0.0 and it's clearly an evernote bug and as a proof you can see apps like skype or gmail that can still detect phone numbers and dial it.

evernote just ignore our problems and rather invest only on new features instead of bug fixing.

@Bartman001

no . it's not working

I hope you guys resolve your problem. I use this function all the time and it works for me. I'm using the latest version of evernote with Jelly Bean on my GS3.

can you please give exact steps to how you use it?

cause for us(me and everybody else I know) it doesn't work

I truly don't think this an Evernote issue. I think some of us are lucky and our phone carrier (Mine is Sprint) has made it part of their package to bring up the dialer if It recognizes a phone number. The phone numbers aren't highlighted and show up as plane text but have to be in the ten digit format (xxx-xxx-xxxx). Maybe we can request that Evernote provide the capability to recognize phone numbers like most other programs and provide a link to bring up the dialer. :)

Here is a link to a short video of how I use Evernote and phone numbers. http://player.vimeo.com/video/53371918

I hope this helps.

@Bartman001

I'm not sure the carrier is the issue. I have had 2 phones with evernote installed that did bring up the dialer, but both were Nexus phones that are unlocked and not configured by the carrier.

I'd bet on the XXX-XXX-XXXX format.

Regards,

Gary

It is something deeper than the phone.

I have phone numbers I pasted from an Excel Spreadsheet that are highlighted and underlined in blue. When I click these on my Samsung Galaxy S2 they go straight to the dialler.

However, I have just typed a number into a new note using Windows which is note in blue nor underlined and sync'd with the phone it does not go to the dialler!

If I use the copied from Excel number, paste it into the new note then over type 'inside' the number I want inside it, delete the other numbers then it keeps the blue and underlining, sync, then it also works! Bit complicated!

I have double checked and confirm that if I copy from a spreadsheet and paste into a note in Windows it still does not work. However if I copy from the spreadsheet on my iPad using 'Quick Office Pro HD' then paste into a note it works! Go figure!

Someone will be along to explain why one works and one doesn't very soon!

Best regards

Chris

it is ridiculous!

if I type in a number in the format aaa-xxx-xxxx where aaa is a known prefix of a US number (like 843 , 555 etc) than it works... it must be related to evernote cause it just says they don't support direct dialing at all.

how come apps like go sms pro do highlight every number I'll type in a SMS and direct dial it if I press it?

• Level 5*
evernote ... don't support direct dialing at all

Hi all - I used to do tech support for an internet service provider who occasionally did a little dance with customers around

"Why doesn't xxx work?"

"We don't support that."

"But it used to work!"

"Yes but that must have been a temporary happy accident, it's not part of our long term plan."

"So why doesn't xxx work now?"

"Because we changed something that equally accidentally killed it (completely / partially / occasionally)"

"So change back!"

"But we don't know why that worked in the first place, and we don't know what changed to kill it, and which part of 'We. Do. Not. Support. That.' am I not making clear?"

"<grumble>"

If phone numbers work for some people / some OS's I'd be inclined to clutch that to my chest, keep it quiet and snigger behind my hand occasionally at the rest of us. I'm sure Evernote have registered that this would be a good feature too offer, but as we've said many many (many) times before - they are working towards a common set of features across a LOT of different platforms and introducing this so it works on all of them is not a trivial change. If it is planned for the future, it may be a little over the horizon yet. And Evernote is allergic to ETAs. (I deliberately avoided all in-jokes and puns at this point ;0)

Bear in mind that dialling a phone number only tends to work usefully if you're connected to the network and most people don't have that sort of wired-in hardware, except (usually) for their phones. And they already have contacts apps. How valuable would Evernote as an address book be to how many people?*

And before the 'phone brigade come back at maximum signal strength - Evernote works fine for me as a contacts app; I just have to copy and paste names and / or phone numbers into the native app to set up new records. If I needed to set up more than one record I suspect I'd look at extracting a list from Evernote and inserting it into a contacts manager that runs on my desktop and updates the phone.

* While the US portion of the audience here may be happy with 10-digit numbers in a certain format, we Brits prefer 11 digits (always have to go one better) and so far as I can see none of my useful numbers turn blue unless I take cruel and unusual steps to make 'em - like using a phone number as a link to a list of call records.

So. I hereby vote that we stop kicking the Elephant and get on with the rest of our lives/ calls until this gets added!

• 1 year later...

Hello,

For a phone number hyperlink, just put the prefix tel: instead of http://  for the hyperlink to create a hyperlink for a phone number

Example:

1. Go to a blank space in a note

2. Right click and select hyperlink, add (or conrtrol K)

3. In the hyperlink window, change http:// to tel:

4. i.e     tel:XXX-XXX-XXXX

5. Press OK in the hyperlink window

Voila! the phone number is now a hyperlink

Hope this helps!!

PS my version is 5.2.0.2906 (270946) Public, updated today, 3/5/14

• Level 5*

Hi - thanks for blowing the cobwebs of that discussion,  and for the tip.  You're right - in my version of Evernote (same number) that works perfectly.  On my W8 laptop I can even define those links as opening in Skype so I can call easily..

• 4 months later...

I am also having difficulty being able to access phone numbers from a list that I cut and paste into. This is one of the only reasons why I use evernote for my tours. If it continues to be a problem, I'll be forced into looking into using a different program. 

Just curious...Has anyone from the evernote technical team replyed to these posts? It seems like it;s a huge problem for users. 

I just created the phone hyperlinks suggested in the post created by Carlucci and it worked! Thanks so much.

• Level 5*

I am also having difficulty being able to access phone numbers from a list that I cut and paste into. This is one of the only reasons why I use evernote for my tours. If it continues to be a problem, I'll be forced into looking into using a different program. 

Just curious...Has anyone from the evernote technical team replyed to these posts? It seems like it;s a huge problem for users. 

I just created the phone hyperlinks suggested in the post created by Carlucci and it worked! Thanks so much.

Hi - glad you seem to have found a fix.  This is a user forum,  so if you still want to raise a tech query please see the support link below.

• 3 years later...

It is easy to add a clickable link to a phone number in Evernote; just select the phone number, click on 'Format' on the top menu, then on 'Hyperlink, Add...' - An 'Add Link' box will open with an 'Address:' box in it, with the text 'http://' already entered.  Just click on the OK button, and your phone number should turn blue and be underlined. This is now a clickable hyperlink to your phone contacts, and will ring the number if clicked.

Hope this helps.

• Level 5
4 hours ago, collinsons said:

It is easy to add a clickable link to a phone number in Evernote; just select the phone number, click on 'Format' on the top menu, then on 'Hyperlink, Add...' - An 'Add Link' box will open with an 'Address:' box in it, with the text 'http://' already entered.  Just click on the OK button, and your phone number should turn blue and be underlined. This is now a clickable hyperlink to your phone contacts, and will ring the number if clicked.

Hope this helps.

That's a good procedure in the Windows Evernote program; but this is the Android forum, and people are looking for a way to do this within Android. (Actually, I find that on my Android phone tapping a link that has been created in this way doesn't put it in the phone dialer; it may work on other devices.)

• Level 5*

Dunno if it's already been suggested,  but I just tried making a phone number into a link on an Android - there's no way to create a link.  Do that on a desktop and move to Android and tap... yes - my phone tries to call that number.

Archived