(Archived) "Changes haven't been synced" -- *missing* option

soundsgoodtome

Idea

i'm not sure of the exact timeline, but for the last several months, it seems i get the "changes haven't been synced" message every single time i attempt to restart my mac or attempt to quit evernote. it wasn't always that way, and to be honest, it's quite frustrating and annoying.

anyway, the window that pops up has the following option:

"Always sync before signing out or quitting"

well, that's fine for those who want that option. but what about those of use who want the OPPOSITE option?

"Always quit, regardless of sync status"

it's short-sighted to assume that users would only want the option presented. i'm sick of seeing that window, and i, too, want it to go away -- but without syncing.

please give us this option.

7 replies to this idea

Can you imagine the support nightmare that would bring from less savvy users? Surely, you want to be sure that all your data is in sync before you quit?

"support nightmare"? um, no. i can't imagine it. first of all, the problem, here, is that the app is no longer syncing automatically as reliably as it used to. (or, it's incorrectly reporting that it *hasn't* synced. either way, i'm sick of evernote interrupting me, each time i want to restart or shut down my computer. the way i work, having control over my computers is more important that having the last note or two synced. (i realize your needs may be different. please also acknowledge that mine may be different from yours.)

secondly, if i'm presented with the option (i trust you do understand the word "option") to have evernote quit without syncing, and if i select that option, i'm doing so with an understanding of the caveats. that's more than evident. want to be extra safe? when the user selects the option i suggested, pop up a warning message clarifying to the user that this setting may result in unsynced messages until the next time the app is launched.

i'm tired, frankly, of this movement toward dumbing everything down to the point of ridiculousness. word the option clearly, and pop up a warning, and call it a day. or, for an extra measure of "safety," put that setting in preferences instead. whatever.

bottom line: i just want evernote to stop interrupting my restart and shut-down commands. as i stated before, this is new-ish behavior. i used evernote for years without this problem; now it's consistently annoying. so, if they can fix the syncing issue, perhaps the option i've suggested wouldn't be necessary. i'm only suggesting it because of the new, annoying behavior.

• Level 5*

Can you imagine the support nightmare that would bring from less savvy users? Surely, you want to be sure that all your data is in sync before you quit?

"support nightmare"? um, no. i can't imagine it. first of all, the problem, here, is that the app is no longer syncing automatically as reliably as it used to. (or, it's incorrectly reporting that it *hasn't* synced. either way, i'm sick of evernote interrupting me, each time i want to restart or shut down my computer. the way i work, having control over my computers is more important that having the last note or two synced. (i realize your needs may be different. please also acknowledge that mine may be different from yours.)

secondly, if i'm presented with the option (i trust you do understand the word "option") to have evernote quit without syncing, and if i select that option, i'm doing so with an understanding of the caveats. that's more than evident. want to be extra safe? when the user selects the option i suggested, pop up a warning message clarifying to the user that this setting may result in unsynced messages until the next time the app is launched.

i'm tired, frankly, of this movement toward dumbing everything down to the point of ridiculousness. word the option clearly, and pop up a warning, and call it a day. or, for an extra measure of "safety," put that setting in preferences instead. whatever.

bottom line: i just want evernote to stop interrupting my restart and shut-down commands. as i stated before, this is new-ish behavior. i used evernote for years without this problem; now it's consistently annoying. so, if they can fix the syncing issue, perhaps the option i've suggested wouldn't be necessary. i'm only suggesting it because of the new, annoying behavior.

Evernote occasionally throws up an error like this, even when I have synced before quitting. I have reported it in the past. I am not sure what is causing this behavior. I'd recommend starting a support ticket. Hopefully, your log data will give developers some of the information they need to fix the problem.

As for the option, I love having options. However, I know these kinds of things cost money to develop, and cost money to maintain over time, so I am not sure I see enough use cases out there to justify it (assuming they fix the error situation).

I don't turn my computer off much these days, so it hasn't been an issue for me personally. I will try and shut off my computer more often, though, and see if I can generate the error. It would be nice to get the problem solved.

• Level 5*

I would imagine that your use case puts you rather in the minority - it seems that one of the most important things for Evernote users is to know for certain that their data is in sync.

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with how you work, but Evernote have a pretty solid history of trying to appeal to the mainstream and minimise user options.

I would imagine that your use case puts you rather in the minority - it seems that one of the most important things for Evernote users is to know for certain that their data is in sync.

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with how you work, but Evernote have a pretty solid history of trying to appeal to the mainstream and minimise user options.

then they need to fix this nagging bug.

it goes without saying that i certainly am not against the concept of being in sync. :) what i'm "against" is being interrupted -- every single time i attempt to quit the app or restart my computer -- by a notice that evernote hasn't synced -- even when evernote has been running idly for hours and hours (which is usually the case). this is a bug that needs to be fixed immediately.

i didn't state this previously, but in most cases, i believe the "hasn't synced" message is an error. evernote runs on my machines for hours and hours at a time. so, there's no way it has not synced when i'm ready to quit the app. but because the bug has persisted for so long now, i guess i started to wonder if this is simply how evernote is going to work. i mean -- if the developers are using the app -- isn't someone seeing this behavior? how long does it take to fix a bug? i've been seeing this for several months now... so, if this is how evernote is going to work -- always "thinking" it hasn't synced -- i'd prefer to have the option to tell the app quit without syncing. i'm just sick of being held "hostage" by the app.

I believe that when we completely move the synchronization message to the Activity Stream, this should be more clear. Then you'll see that the Sync Failed message may have been like a day ago, and that it's synced successfully since.

Archived