Your Very Own Evernote "Dictionary"!

sshih

Disclaimer: this idea only applies to Evernote for Mac, but I'm sure it can be easily duplicated across platforms.

I'm a part-liberal arts student at UT, and I love discovering new words. For years, I've struggled with the best way to look up and remember words I come across in the various books and articles I read.

Ever since I got a Mac a few years back, I have been using the dictionary app almost 24/7! I love how trustworthy, well-designed, and ad-free it is. With its Wikipedia integration, it's my one-stop shop for any definitions. Recently, I've come to incorporate Evernote as a great way of saving the words I come across.

Here's what I do:

1. Look up a word in Dictionary App

2. Use icon in menu bar to "Clip Rectangle or Window to Evernote"

3. Select the definition

4. Add word as the title

And, voilà! My very own Evernote Dictionary, beautifully organized and designed:

Guddf.jpg

What's even better is that even when you clip articles from the web, you can right-click on a word --> Look up in Dictionary right from your Evernote.

Oh, the sweet smell of progress :)

And as always, I'm open to suggestions. Are any of you all doing something similar? Have you found an even better way to clip/organize words?

• Level 5*

Very, very cool idea. I will have to give it a bit of thought. Thanks for sharing this!

I've been putting PDF versions of dictionaries into my Evernote account and using those. It's nice, because it takes almost no effort at all to set up, and you have everything on hand all the time. However, it doesn't do much for studying / reviewing vocabulary. In that sense, your system is a lot better.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
On 7/20/2012 at 3:31 PM, sshih said:

Disclaimer: this idea only applies to Evernote for Mac, but I'm sure it can be easily duplicated across platforms.

I'm a part-liberal arts student at UT, and I love discovering new words. For years, I've struggled with the best way to look up and remember words I come across in the various books and articles I read.

Ever since I got a Mac a few years back, I have been using the dictionary app almost 24/7! I love how trustworthy, well-designed, and ad-free it is. With its Wikipedia integration, it's my one-stop shop for any definitions. Recently, I've come to incorporate Evernote as a great way of saving the words I come across.

Here's what I do:

1. Look up a word in Dictionary App

2. Use icon in menu bar to "Clip Rectangle or Window to Evernote"

3. Select the definition

4. Add word as the title

And, voilà! My very own Evernote Dictionary, beautifully organized and designed:

Guddf.jpg

What's even better is that even when you clip articles from the web, you can right-click on a word --> Look up in Dictionary right from your Evernote.

Oh, the sweet smell of progress :)

And as always, I'm open to suggestions. Are any of you all doing something similar? Have you found an even better way to clip/organize words?

I didn't think of this. Awesome share!

Archived