Screenshots from my new Retina MBP too big for Evernote!

Creating screenshots is an essential part of my day to day workflow, but ever since I got the new Retina MacBook Pro, especially when running in the highest resolution, my screenshots are HUGE!

I know I could use photo-editing apps (Photoshop/Preview etc) to downsize/resize the high-res screenshots, but is there a better/easier/faster way within Evernote? Does anyone know of an external plugin/app that would automatically downsize screenshots into clipboard?

It would take way too much time to have to custom edit every screenshot as it is now for storage on Evernote, not to mention the space contraint issue.

Are you using the Evernote clipper or an app like skitch? If you're using skitch then you could just lower the quality of the jpg if that's the file type you prefer.

You could also make an automator workflow that would shrink any images that enter a specific folder (or have it be a service, etc).

I have a workflow template I could give you, however, that only helps if you're not using the Evernote screenshot - if you are using that (so it directly goes in a note) I can't think of anything you can do besides lower your resolution (which would be lame).

• Level 5*

Creating screenshots is an essential part of my day to day workflow, but ever since I got the new Retina MacBook Pro, especially when running in the highest resolution, my screenshots are HUGE!

I know I could use photo-editing apps (Photoshop/Preview etc) to downsize/resize the high-res screenshots, but is there a better/easier/faster way within Evernote? Does anyone know of an external plugin/app that would automatically downsize screenshots into clipboard?

It would take way too much time to have to custom edit every screenshot as it is now for storage on Evernote, not to mention the space contraint issue.

According to the screenshot in the note shared by Jackolicious the note displays as 890.3 KB. Is this the file size you are seeing as well? If not, could you tell us how large the issue is?

• Level 5*

I was able to include a 10MB "screenshot" in a free account too.

10MB? It sounds like you are taking screenshots different ways / with different resolutions. I don't have one of these fancy shmancy Retina Macbooks, so I am wondering if the issue might not be the screen resolution. Is there a way with the Evernote Helper (for those of you who don't recognize the name, that's what the elephant icon in the menu bar at the top is called) to use the highest screen resolution (as the OP did) and go over the 50MB size limit?

I was able to include a 10MB "screenshot" in a free account too.

My assumption was that the problem wasn't it being too big of file size for it to fit into a note, but that they just didn't want the file size to be as big as it is.

Are you using the Evernote clipper or an app like skitch? If you're using skitch then you could just lower the quality of the jpg if that's the file type you prefer.

I'd love to use Skitch, but I find it's workflow is just too slow compared to using the basic "cmd+shift+3/4" commands in conjunction with CopyPaste Pro app.

You could also make an automator workflow that would shrink any images that enter a specific folder (or have it be a service, etc). I have a workflow template I could give you, however, that only helps if you're not using the Evernote screenshot

Yea the automator workflow sounds cool. But not sure if your script works with the basic Mac cmd+shift+3/4 commands?

My assumption was that the problem wasn't it being too big of file size for it to fit into a note, but that they just didn't want the file size to be as big as it is.

Yes, correct. The retina screenshots are too big in its physical dimension and adds unnecessary bulk to Evernote account, challenging the quota.

Yea the automator workflow sounds cool. But not sure if your script works with the basic Mac cmd+shift+3/4 commands?

Yeah, it probably wouldn't work. I don't know much about that app and couldn't find useful info on their site.

The more I think about this, the more I think this is less an OSX issue, but actually an Evernote bug. My theory:

Since using the CMD+SHIFT+3/4 native commands would create a pixel accurate representation of the selection in OSX, pasting the images into an Evernote note should result in the same pixel dimension. However, images captured in the highest retina-scaled mode, when pasted into a note, are scaled up to a size much larger than the pixel dimension of the original selection. Therefore, I suspect that Evernote is just simply not "retina-aware", unless it's intentionally designed to scale up images.

Evernote, please fix?

Doing more testing on this today, found out that if pixel dimension of an image is 72 pixels/inch then it would be displayed fine on Evernote, but since the retina screenshots produce 144 pixels/inch, when these higher-res images are pasted into Evernote, they become double the size in Evernote.

I think Evernote needs to respect image dimensions of higher dpi images and not just scale up all images by doubling pixel dimensions to make them confirm to 72 pixels/inch.

• Level 5

If you try dragging the same image into Safari, it shows at double resolution and ignores dpi. We are following that model now, but I will flag this for internal discussion. Thanks for bringing it up.

It's weird that Safari doesn't respect the dpi, whereas Preview does.

Even so, given that Evernote is not a "browser" per se, but more a data storage/reference/database, I think it should respect the true nature of images and display them at the "correct" dpi instead of doing the weird upscaling like Safari does?!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Awesome, Lance! I'm trying to get this to work by copying the screenshot portion to the clipboard. It looks like this will modify it on disk, but is there a way to add something to the script that will copy the image back to the clipboard for easier pasting right into Evernote?

Thank you so much!

I just spent a couple hours trying to figure out how to copy this image to the clipboard once it gets resized, but I still haven't figured it out. There's a command called pbcop that will copy the content of text files to the clipboard, but nothing I can find for binarys. I've tried various clipboard viewer applications to see if those might give me a clue as to what I should be plugging into Automator, but I still haven't gotten anything functional. If anyone figures this out, it would be super awesome!

@Lance, thanks for this proposal but just like @stompeers, I am looking for a one-step solution to getting a screenshot directly to clipboard.

Besides, after reading and googling for half an hour, I still couldn't find the "official" documentation on how to uninstall ImageMagick after installation so I'm staying away from it in the meantime. Please let me know if anyone else has better luck.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi there @Evernoteren. I have followed up on this and it looks like you have an open chat support ticket regarding this issue that is being escalated to our Technical Support team for further assistance. They will be reaching out to you once they've had an opportunity to review the information you've provided. Thanks for your patience.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions in the meantime.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived