(Archived) Considering upgrading to paid Evernote for *one* reason... (still thinking)

I hope you folks will try to understand this. I don't need any of the premium features. Were I to upgrade, it would be for only one reason: to keep Evernote robust, and just because "you're you". I like Evernote because it's a powerful dumb data handler. I don't use the word "dumb" in an insulting way. It's actually a *compliment*!

Evernote simply does its job: it's all about the user. The user's data is "here" (wherever the user is) and Evernote moves it "there" (to Evernote). Then whenever the user is "here" again (maybe the same place, maybe somewhere else, on a different device), Evernote moves it from "there" to "here". Simple as that. No fluff, no guff.

I sincerely hope Evernote doesn't go fancy and build ties to Facebook and Twitter and Google Plus and Microsoft and...whoever. I want, just, Evernote, *pure* and simple. Evernote is power. Evernote is the ultimate cloud service. KISS.

• Level 5*

I hope you folks will try to understand this. I don't need any of the premium features. Were I to upgrade, it would be for only one reason: to keep Evernote robust, and just because "you're you". I like Evernote because it's a powerful dumb data handler. I don't use the word "dumb" in an insulting way. It's actually a *compliment*!

Evernote simply does its job: it's all about the user. The user's data is "here" (wherever the user is) and Evernote moves it "there" (to Evernote). Then whenever the user is "here" again (maybe the same place, maybe somewhere else, on a different device), Evernote moves it from "there" to "here". Simple as that. No fluff, no guff.

I sincerely hope Evernote doesn't go fancy and build ties to Facebook and Twitter and Google Plus and Microsoft and...whoever. I want, just, Evernote, *pure* and simple. Evernote is power. Evernote is the ultimate cloud service. KISS.

Hi. Glad to hear you are considering upgrading!

One thing I think is cool about Evernote is that it has set up a really powerful external brain, and they have left it up to us to decide what we want to do with it. I think we are on the same page here in general, but I would say I actually encourage Evernote to offer all of these great integrations with established services like Google or smaller startups like the developers competing in the devcup. The key is that they are options, and we control how much or how little we want to make use of them. A lot of users probably want these kinds of integrations. The more users we have, the better Evernote's service becomes, and we all benefit from that, even if we don't use a single third-party service. Unlike some other companies (I won't point fingers here), they respect your data, keep their hands off of it, don't mine it or anything like that, and take privacy extremely seriously. In today's world, that is increasingly rare, and I am glad to see them showing the world that a business model like this can succeed. We don't have to give up privacy for services.

From a recent interview with Phil Libin, Evernote's CEO:

"At Evernote we’re staying away from social in general because there are so many good apps out there already. But also, at Evernote, we’re only building it for you. Everyone is fundamentally private and personal, and only wants to share with a small group."

I don't think you have anything to worry about. :)

• 8 months later...

Many days (months?) later, FWIW, I did it. I'm among the few, the proud, the premes. Que viva, Evernote!

Good for you! I dare anyone to suggest a better way to spend $45 a year. You will find it is the best bargain in town.

Regards,

David in Wichita

Premium member since March 2010

Archived