How do I delete EVERYTHING off of my Mac???

stnova

Idea

I have noticed that simply deleting Evernote by dragging the app into the trash and deleting it from iTunes does not delete the user data. Everytime I try to create a new account online (with new username/pw) and reload the app, it somehow finds all my old data/Noetbooks and re-populates the new load under my old credentials.

Note that I cannot just delete my old account because it is now a separate instance of EverNote because I started to use it as an acocunt for work. Had I just ce5ae awhole new usernmae when I started to use EverNote for my work needs this would not be a problem, but, alas, I did not.

So, I need to wipe everything scrap of EverNote app/data from my Mac so that when I reload the app (yet) again for my personal use it does not confuse it with my old account. This should be easy - surprised the clever folks at EverNote don't make it so. "Delete" on a Mac should mean Delete. It seems they built it like a Windows program with a persistent user-created data/content database or reference files that do not get deleted when the app is deleted.

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I have noticed that simply deleting Evernote by dragging the app into the trash and deleting it from iTunes does not delete the user data. Everytime I try to create a new account online (with new username/pw) and reload the app, it somehow finds all my old data/Noetbooks and re-populates the new load under my old credentials.

Note that I cannot just delete my old account because it is now a separate instance of EverNote because I started to use it as an acocunt for work. Had I just ce5ae awhole new usernmae when I started to use EverNote for my work needs this would not be a problem, but, alas, I did not.

So, I need to wipe everything scrap of EverNote app/data from my Mac so that when I reload the app (yet) again for my personal use it does not confuse it with my old account. This should be easy - surprised the clever folks at EverNote don't make it so. "Delete" on a Mac should mean Delete. It seems they built it like a Windows program with a persistent user-created data/content database or reference files that do not get deleted when the app is deleted.

I'd follow Metrodon's advice. You might also want to give a try to something like AppDelete (http://www.reggieashworth.com/appdelete) for uninstalling your apps. I haven't had a need to use it myself, but I have heard good things about it.

I downloaded http://www.reggieashworth.com/appdelete per GrumpyMonkey's suggestion above (thanks). I downloaded the trial version and it worked perfectly. It's $7.99 to buy or you can purchase a lite version from the App Store for $3.99. It worked so seamlessly that I might buy it after the trial expires.

Evernote customer service recommended http://onnati.net/apptrap/ which did not get the job done. The website only shows versions for OS X up to 10.7. I'm on 10.8 Mountain Lion. I may have been doing something wrong though...

Archived