(Archived) Evernote branded tablet

psionmark

Have the team ever considered an Evernote branded tablet? May sound daft, but I reckon a tablet is a near perfect device for Evernoting - both creating and retrieving - and some dedicated hardware might bring in some more punters. Maybe throw in a year of Premium.

I can easily imagine a cheap (but not tacky) tablet (I'm thinking Android, hence this being in the Anrdoid section). It wouldn't need to be particularly highly spec'd for the task. Worked with Amazon and the Fire, so why not Evernote?

Talking of tablets, I'm looking forward to my Nexus 7 delivery - I'm thinking Evernote will be a pretty fine companion.

P.S. If you haven't thought of this previously, let me know and we'll work out a cut :)

• Level 5*

Have the team ever considered an Evernote branded tablet? May sound daft, but I reckon a tablet is a near perfect device for Evernoting - both creating and retrieving - and some dedicated hardware might bring in some more punters. Maybe throw in a year of Premium.

I can easily imagine a cheap (but not tacky) tablet (I'm thinking Android, hence this being in the Anrdoid section). It wouldn't need to be particularly highly spec'd for the task. Worked with Amazon and the Fire, so why not Evernote?

Talking of tablets, I'm looking forward to my Nexus 7 delivery - I'm thinking Evernote will be a pretty fine companion.

P.S. If you haven't thought of this previously, let me know and we'll work out a cut :)

Good suggestion. I think I might get one of those - and you could enjoy a nice kickback/cut from my purchase!

But, I'd say the hardware market is pretty rough these days, and rather than branding anything (say, outsourcing to Asus or Samsung for something optimized for Evernote) I like what Evernote is doing in other markets by offering free premium accounts and sometimes additional features (found nowhere else in the world that I know of) in carrier/device tie-ups. Brilliant. It's too late for me to take a cut from that idea :(

• Level 5*

It costs an awful lot to build hardware.........

They could just re-brand some existing kit - minimal development cost/time.

What kind of actual changes would they be making, and what return on investment would they see?

It makes a lot more sense for them to, for example, bundle Evernote with the Phone X as a year of free premium (this is basically just taking an existing product and giving it a discount). They have done this in Japan. Or, to offer Phone X users on Verizon (or ATT or Sprint) the ability to create video notes (a new feature, but one they probably just released early to these customers). This is something they do in Japan. They have other tie-ups in Europe. I don't know how an "Evernote" Asus Transformer would be different than a regular one, and what benefit they would see.

I'm not against the idea you suggested, but I just find it difficult to see the benefits. After all, Amazon's re-branding of the Motorola-like tablet was a risky venture, that probably cost them a lot of money up front (estimates vary, but no one sees them getting a profit off of each device), and the pay-off was supposed to be that users would consume Amazon content. Evernote doesn't have the same business model with a massive library of content that they can display prominently to the owners of the device (actually, no one but Amazon does, so this was a very original idea on their part).

• 2 weeks later...

I've found the perfect device for my mobile Evernote requirements.

The Google Nexus 7 is really an astonishing piece of kit, especially at the price. Absolutely loving it, to the point where the iPad has been left in my case for a fair few days now.

• Level 5*

The Google Nexus 7 is really an astonishing piece of kit, especially at the price. Absolutely loving it, to the point where the iPad has been left in my case for a fair few days now.

How dare you speak ill of the iPad! I like the N7 too :) The Android app for Evernote is just incredible, and much more enjoyable to use on a larger screen. But, one thing that annoys me is the lack of a landscape mode. I really hope that Google enables this in its next JB update.

How dare you speak ill of the iPad! I like the N7 too :) But, one thing that annoys me is the lack of a landscape mode. I really hope that Google enables this in its next JB update.

:)

Yes, that does seem a daft decision, but it's only for the Home screen and I find most of the time, with the help of the task manager, I don't need to visit Home too often.

I tried a small app that "corrected" this, but it also introduced a pause every few seconds when playing games, so that had to go!

• Level 5*

How dare you speak ill of the iPad! I like the N7 too :) But, one thing that annoys me is the lack of a landscape mode. I really hope that Google enables this in its next JB update.

:)

Yes, that does seem a daft decision, but it's only for the Home screen and I find most of the time, with the help of the task manager, I don't need to visit Home too often.

I tried a small app that "corrected" this, but it also introduced a pause every few seconds when playing games, so that had to go!

The Google OS home screen doesn't bother me. It is everything else. You cannot use Evernote in landscape mode, right? Or, am I just confused? My iPad is with me today -- I left the N7 at home :)

The Google OS home screen doesn't bother me. It is everything else. You cannot use Evernote in landscape mode, right? Or, am I just confused? My iPad is with me today -- I left the N7 at home :)

You sure can :) In fact, almost every app I've tried (apart from games, that are mostly fixed in Landscape, which is fine) switch between landscape and portrait. Which makes the decision to fix the Home screen to portrait even more bizarre.

Evernote works a treat in landscape :)

2012-07-24%2016.07.31.png

• Level 5*

You sure can :) In fact, almost every app I've tried (apart from games, that are mostly fixed in Landscape, which is fine) switch between landscape and portrait. Which makes the decision to fix the Home screen to portrait even more bizarre.

Evernote works a treat in landscape :)

2012-07-24%2016.07.31.png

What!? I could have sworn that I was unable to do anything but YouTube in landscape mode. Is there a setting or something like that I am missing? I will check it out when I get home. Landscape would definitely be nice, especially when trying to type on the screen.

What!? I could have sworn that I was unable to do anything but YouTube in landscape mode. Is there a setting or something like that I am missing? I will check it out when I get home. Landscape would definitely be nice, especially when trying to type on the screen.

Ah, I know what it is - it caught me out when I first got it. Swipe down the notification bar and you'll see an icon with a padlock and arrows above and below it. Tap it, and the padlock will change to a rectangle. That's the orientation toggle.

• Level 5*

Ah, I know what it is - it caught me out when I first got it. Swipe down the notification bar and you'll see an icon with a padlock and arrows above and below it. Tap it, and the padlock will change to a rectangle. That's the orientation toggle.

Yay! Looking forward to going home and doing just that :)

I don't see a huge market for this and I just got a tablet so I probably couldn't get another one anytime soon. So I've been avoiding this thread.

However, I did buy some Evernote t-shirts (the Korean design is especially attractive). And with it came an Evernote sticker, so today when I saw this thread again I could suppress the yearning for a tablet with a light up Evernote Elephant on the back. Bring it on!

• Level 5*

I don't see a huge market for this and I just got a tablet so I probably couldn't get another one anytime soon. So I've been avoiding this thread.

However, I did buy some Evernote t-shirts (the Korean design is especially attractive). And with it came an Evernote sticker, so today when I saw this thread again I could suppress the yearning for a tablet with a light up Evernote Elephant on the back. Bring it on!

No glowing elephants yet, but there is wallpaper :)

http://blog.evernote.com/2010/04/06/evernote-for-ipad-wallpapers/

• 8 months later...
  • Level 5*

It costs an awful lot to build hardware.........

My previous company loved to chase magical hardware solutions. Spent a lot of money, is still in the game somewhat, but it's a dwindling market for them, I think...

Yep, it's kinda hard to see how they could produce something cheaper than, say, a Google Nexus 7, to use as a "dedicated" Evernote device. And it would have to be substantially cheaper, otherwise why not buy a "do everything" Nexus?

Still, you never know what's around the corner.

Archived