REQUEST: Word count, Full Screen editing, better tabbing

Tocath

Idea

Hi folks,

Love using Evernote for writing, and it works great connected to my bluetooth Zagg keyboard.

One thing I would love is a word count. This could be something toggled on or off in the settings, or could be in the "Note Info," but when I am writing, I usually have a target I want to hit, like 1500 words or something. A word count would be very helpful.

The second thing that would be helpful is full screen editing. I know there is full screen viewing, but editing would be helpful as well, especially if it removed all other menu options and just gave you your text.

Finally, it would be nice if "tabbing" was a little more intuitive. When I create a new note, and start in the title, if I hit tab on my keyboard, it goes to tags, which is great. If I hit tab again, it goes back to the title and then just cycles between the two. Instead, it would be great if the next tab took you to the body text.

Just a few thoughts. The app is fantastic and meets a lot of needs!

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi folks,

Love using Evernote for writing, and it works great connected to my bluetooth Zagg keyboard.

One thing I would love is a word count. This could be something toggled on or off in the settings, or could be in the "Note Info," but when I am writing, I usually have a target I want to hit, like 1500 words or something. A word count would be very helpful.

The second thing that would be helpful is full screen editing. I know there is full screen viewing, but editing would be helpful as well, especially if it removed all other menu options and just gave you your text.

Finally, it would be nice if "tabbing" was a little more intuitive. When I create a new note, and start in the title, if I hit tab on my keyboard, it goes to tags, which is great. If I hit tab again, it goes back to the title and then just cycles between the two. Instead, it would be great if the next tab took you to the body text.

Just a few thoughts. The app is fantastic and meets a lot of needs!

Hi. Welcome to the forums. Great suggestions. I've made them a few times myself. I was starting to think I was an anomaly or something with the "tab" key thing.

(1) Word count is on the desktop. I think it will come someday to the iPad.

(2) Full-screen editing would be great, not just to remove distractions, but to put more words on the screen. The iPad is admittedly a small screen, and the more we can see, the better!

(3) Once you start using the external keyboard and get used to jumping about without touching the screen, something like the Evernote UI (where you just bounce back and forth) comes as a surprise.

I have a feeling we'll be seeing lots of improvements soon. I'm usually not much of a prognosticator, but I think this time I might be right. Let's hope so!

Hi. Welcome to the forums. Great suggestions. I've made them a few times myself. I was starting to think I was an anomaly or something with the "tab" key thing.

(1) Word count is on the desktop. I think it will come someday to the iPad.

(2) Full-screen editing would be great, not just to remove distractions, but to put more words on the screen. The iPad is admittedly a small screen, and the more we can see, the better!

(3) Once you start using the external keyboard and get used to jumping about without touching the screen, something like the Evernote UI (where you just bounce back and forth) comes as a surprise.

I have a feeling we'll be seeing lots of improvements soon. I'm usually not much of a prognosticator, but I think this time I might be right. Let's hope so!

Excellent. Good to know I'm not crazy for suggesting these things :)

I agree with Tocath.

Today I am working a lot on my ipad. But the screen for editing and typing on the ipad is to small. It isn't pretty to work with.

And - another suggestion - make the keyboard better please. See the Ipad-app Kwrite, so you can type (and work) faster.

Greetings form Amsterdam,

Niek

Worse for me is when I try to edit using portrait mode  (having my ipad long-wise) ...  the left column sidebar takes up half the screen, leaving me with a narrow column to edit my note..unusable in this mode.   The way they do it on the android app is great (the way the right/left sidebars swipe to hide/reveal ... so I have the full portrait screen for editing).  why not on the ipad?

Worse for me is when I try to edit using portrait mode  (having my ipad long-wise) ...  the left column sidebar takes up half the screen, leaving me with a narrow column to edit my note..unusable in this mode.   The way they do it on the android app is great (the way the right/left sidebars swipe to hide/reveal ... so I have the full portrait screen for editing).  why not on the ipad?

Next to the note title, there are two diverging green arrows. Tapping this will allow the note to occupy the full horizontal space of the screen. This applies in both portrait or landscape orientation. 

• Level 5*

Hi. Have you pressed the little green arrows to the left of the title? This will make the note full-screen in portrait or landscape.

Archived