Evernote Outline View

Christine1325

I am in the process of importing my bulkiest word files to Evernote from Word. There is one feature of word that i like the most and I am not sure if evernote has it: the outline view. This allows me to organize my notes in different levels. Does evernote has this function or something similar?

Thank you!

- C

• Level 5*

Hi, welcome to the Forums. Evernote doesn't do outline views. What you see is what you get. You could copy and paste a view from Word into Evernote and (if you're a Premium user) attach the original Word file for future editing if you'd like...

I really love Outline View in Word, too, one of the few things that really keeps me attached to Word. I checked out the demo of the TuskTools Treeliner and it is NOT the same as Outline View in Word. It is more for organizing notes than for creating outlines within a note. Also, it appears to create a local copy of the EN database on a local PC and changes with TuskTools Treeliner must by synced with EN. I suppose this is integration with EN but doesn't feel like a 2012 tool, I would just wait, save my Word outlines into EN notes, and edit with Word as needed. Hate to dis TuskTools. It might be the answer for some people but not a solution to Word Outline View.

• Level 5*

I am in the process of importing my bulkiest word files to Evernote from Word. There is one feature of word that i like the most and I am not sure if evernote has it: the outline view. This allows me to organize my notes in different levels. Does evernote has this function or something similar?

Thank you!

- C

Hi. I think this is a great idea for a future feature, but I think Evernote is not currently set up to offer you this kind of a view automatically. However, I make outlines every day with Evernote, and I am working on one at this moment. By dragging notes into another note to create note links, you can order notes as you would like. Again, it is not outlining like you have with Word, but it is a solution using the features currently available. You can see an example here in my index note for classes. I have done essentially the same thing for my dissertation, but with indents and sub-levels.

http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/evernote-organization.html

• Level 5*

James M,

You are correct - Treeliner will allow you to organize your notes in an outline fashion, and this is different functionality from, and is designed to solve a different need from, having a more feature-rich outlining capability within the content area of one note. I agree that the latter would be very nice to have as well, but really needs to be done by Evernote as part of the product - would be very tough for a 3rd party to do and even then would not be fully integrated with the Evernote UI like you would want.

• 2 months later...

Thank you!

- C

Hi. I think this is a great idea for a future feature, but I think Evernote is not currently set up to offer you this kind of a view automatically. However, I make outlines every day with Evernote, and I am working on one at this moment. By dragging notes into another note to create note links, you can order notes as you would like. Again, it is not outlining like you have with Word, but it is a solution using the features currently available. You can see an example here in my index note for classes. I have done essentially the same thing for my dissertation, but with indents and sub-levels.

http://www.princeton...ganization.html

I think that Word-like outlining with notes is a feature sorely lacking in Evernote. Think of outlining as an aid to brainstorming.

• 3 weeks later...

Workflowy is a fantastic outlining application. I wish that this sort of functionality were built into Evernote instead of the clunky bold/fontsize/indent way of organizing within notes. I think in information hierarchy and find Evernote sorely lacking in this ability.

Hierarchical organization of the notes themselves would also be fantastic, and TreeLiner looks like an interesting product. I don't like the idea of this organization being outside of Evernote - what happens when I go back to using Evernote itself - whether for a feature or because it's not available on a given platform?

• 2 months later...

One thing I like to use Evernote for is capturing my thoughts and ideas. Outlining within a Note would vastly improve the ability to organize and rearrange one's thoughts. Outlining should be built right into Evernote. Team, please take this as a serious enhancement request!

Outline functionality via keyboard shortcuts are a key feature in MSWord that I've relied on for many years.

I've shown other people the power of this way to to rough-to-fine outlining and the <Alt>+<Shift> then <Up> or <Down> or <Left> or <RIght> to move whole lines within the hierarchy.

If you have the time, give it a try in MSWord.... open a new file, select View | Outline form and start typing.

• Level 5*
Outlining should be built right into Evernote.

On this general theme - in my estimation, Evernote is correctly fixed on its core objective of enabling us to remember stuff. It's not an image gallery, a word processor or a blog tool - although if you're flexible and smart you can use it, sometimes alongside other software, to do exactly that. It's been said many many times here though that if you add outlining, you'll want better style control; and rulers; more print options - and what about Mind Mapping? I prefer that to Outlining...

The more options you add into Evernote, the more the menus get to look like the corporate bloatware I hate and avoid at any cost. The more complicated the options, the less intuitive it is to use - and if you add this stuff in Windows, remember you have to do the same in Android, iOS, Mac and multiple languages.

I'd prefer to keep it simple and just get the whole thing bigger, faster, more reliable and easier to use.

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5*

Would it be possible to integrate views of workflowy as an api plugin? (don't really know how to formulate this)

It would be nice to have a way to view and edit workflowy within evernote - they complement each other perfectly.

Evernote doesn't support that kind of integration at this point.

Went looking to see if I was missing something...guess not. Unfortunate that this HTML editor I'm using to write this seems to have better outlining capabilities.  The bulleted lists in Evernote are very buggy which is surprising. So yes, please add this feature.

• 1 year later...

Yes, Please please add this fuctionality. This is the only thing which makes word more useful than most applications, and the only reason why I don't use evernote for all kinds of notes. Putting ideas into a hierarchy and hiding and showing partst of the content is crucial in creating and storing ideas for later use.

Archived