Feature Request: Nested Tags in iPhone App

AlecDibble

Idea

I would like to request that hierarchical tag viewing be available on the iPhone app. I primarily organize my notes using nested tags. Being able to access this feature on the iPhone would be very helpful. Right now, I am using saved searches to get around this but an actual implementation would be great.

Thanks!

Alec

12 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi. I agree. I'd go more broad, though, and say that all of the main organizational tools (tags, notebooks, stacks, sorts, views, saved searches, etc.) should exist in some form, and work roughly the same on every client. Unfortunately, they don't yet. As a workaround (actually, a superior method in my opinion), see jbenson's tagging (http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/evernote-tag.html). I think it largely "solves" the iOS problem.

This feature is really becoming a make or break for me. At this point, I am probably going to cancel my Evernote Premium subscription. While the Evernote desktop clients are good, the level of consistency across all the different clients is just not there right now. People have suggested to build into nesting into the naming of tags. However, I find that it just doesn't work after about 3 or 4 levels down the tree. The tag names get way too long, to the point where the tag sidebar on my Macbook Air ends up taking a significant portion of the page if I want to see the names completely.

I'll revive this request. For those of us using either The Secret Weapon or Daniel Gold's Evernote GTD methodology, nested tags across our devices is really important. While I do use some symbols to work around this issue, having the nested tags on iOS (and, quite honestly, any and all mobile platforms - don't want to leave the Android or Windows Mobile group high and dry) is critical to my workflow. Please make this happen. I can't imagine it would be that difficult.

Evernote, please! Key features for organizing notes should really work consistently across different platforms. Tagging is, I think, one of the top 3 Evernote features of Evernote, like the Evernote search is, and the multi-platform availability. This makes Evernote HUGE! It is a GREAT app. 

This is because these features enable every user to create their own ideal 'Digital memory' or productivity system. Whether someone uses many notebooks and many tags, just one notebook with many tags, or whether someone completely relies on Evernote search: Evernote's power is it's flexibility!

So there are many many ways to organize notes in Evernote and it can be quite a struggle to find out what system works best for you. But we keep trying because Evernote is really really great. Then finally, when we find out our perfect organizing system, based on key features like (nested) notebooks, (nested) tags and saved searches, it is deeply disappointing that this doesn't work on all platforms.

I can imagine that there are a few weeks, maybe months between updates for the different platforms on these features, but years??

Please, fix this problem.

I am suggesting that we consolidate this request to get the votes up… I am suggesting mine because it already has a number of votes replies… The post is here, https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/88379-feature-request-improved-tag-functionality-for-ios/

This request keeps popping up but I believe it is getting ignored because it doesn’t get a critical mass of attention at any one moment, I’d like to see if we can get everyone on board to bring this up the list and to Evernote’s attention.

Thank you!

Archived