(Archived) Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500

I have just bought a Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 and I know many user here have the same scanner.

I can get it to scan each side of paper as a single PDF document but how do I set it up to scan each piece of paper as a single document?

This would mean that a double sided page would end up as a single two-page PDF document whilst single sided page would end up as a single one-page document.

It's starting to look like this isn't possible. Any ideas?

Thanks!

• Level 5*

Hi. I don't have this model, but we probably use the same ScanSnap Manager software. Go into the settings and select "duplex." Here is a screen shot. I think this is from an older version of the software, but the dialogue box is essentially the same.

http://img.brothersoft.com/screenshots/softimage/s/scansnap_manager-315619-1261328798.jpeg

• Level 5

GrumpyMonkey is correct.

Scan in the duplex mode.

ScanSnap can detect blank pages.

If there is nothing on the backside, ScanSnap will create 1 single page PDF

If there is something on the backside, Scansnap will create 1 two-page PDF.

Other ScanSnap detection abilities:

• Detect the size of the page
  • Detect colour, grayscale or black&white
  • Detect blank pages
  • Detect page orientation
  • Straighten skewed images

Hi. I don't have this model, but we probably use the same ScanSnap Manager software. Go into the settings and select "duplex." Here is a screen shot. I think this is from an older version of the software, but the dialogue box is essentially the same.

http://img.brotherso...1261328798.jpeg

I don't think I described the problem very well. :) Let's assume I have a pile of paper in the scanner. Now, if you look at the "File option" tab in your screen shot and then click on the "Option" button you get the following:

PDF%20Options.png

The Split PDF options are as follows:

• Multiple PDF - This will put both sides of every piece of paper in the ADF into a single doument.
  • Generate one PDF file per 1 page - This will create a new PDF document for every side of every piece of paper in the ADF.

What I'm looking to do is to put every piece of paper (not side) in the ADF into a separate PDF. Therefore:

• If the piece of paper is single sided I get a one page PDF.
  • If the piece of paper is double sided I et a two page PDF.

I hope that is a little clearer, thanks.

Our messages crossed there.

If there is nothing on the backside, ScanSnap will create 1 single page PDF

If there is something on the backside, Scansnap will create 1 two-page PDF.

Yes, this is the behaviour I want, but not what I'm seeing. Is what you say true when you have, for example, 15 pieces of paper in the ADF where 5 of them are double sided? It will create 15 PDFs, 10 with one page and 5 with two pages?

In that situation I am seeing 20 single page PDFs.

• Level 5

Yes, this is the behaviour I want, but not what I'm seeing. Is what you say true when you have, for example, 15 pieces of paper in the ADF where 5 of them are double sided? It will create 15 PDFs, 10 with one page and 5 with two pages?

I do not scan 20 different documents at a time into Evernote. I scan one set of associated documents, (for instance, the 7 pages from my cell phone bill), then rename the Evernote title of the note to a more structured format, then add appropriate tags and move to the correct notebook.

Then on to the next document.

I do not scan 20 different documents at a time into Evernote. I scan one set of associated documents, (for instance, the 7 pages from my cell phone bill), then rename the Evernote title of the note to a more structured format, then add appropriate tags and move to the correct notebook.

Then on to the next document.

Doing one page at a time will do as you say. But it seems to defeat the point of having a document feeder. Oh well, it looks like it's just not possible.

Thanks anyway.

• Level 5

Doing one page at a time will do as you say. But it seems to defeat the point of having a document feeder. Oh well, it looks like it's just not possible.

Thanks anyway.

Just to clarify, I group pages together in one batch.

In the following assumption involving 20 pages, I would do a total of 5 scans for these 5 batches.

7 pages for the phone bill

3 pages for a letter from a friend

6 pages for a bank statement

3 pages for a quote on a house improvement

1 page for a recipe.

In this assumption, are you expecting ScanSnap to scan all 20 pages in one shot and figure out which documents should be grouped together?

How could ScanSnap determine the different documents if they are scanned in one lot?

So you want to scan in 20 documents at one shot. Assume there are:

7 pages for the phone bill

3 pages for a letter from a friend

6 pages for a bank statement

3 pages for a quote on a house improvement

1 page for a recipe.

No, that's not what I want to scan! ;)

In my example, I have several one page documents in the ADF. Some are one sided and some are two sided. None of them span more than one piece of physical paper.

How could ScanSnap determine the different documents if they are scanned in one lot?

My case is determinate but I can see how it's a bit of an edge case. It's just that after buying the scanner I have a quite a few documents that would benefit from being batched as I describe. After that I'll be scanning much less frequently so the one-at-a-time approach will be fine.

Thanks!

• Level 5

Sorry, I guess don't understand your question.

If I scan my 4-page phone bill with text on 7 sides,I get 1 pdf file with a total of 7 pages.

ScanSnap ignores the blank page.

• I want the scanner to feed in one piece of paper at a time from the ADF until the feeder is empty.
  • If a piece of paper is found to have one side it should create a PDF document containing one page.
  • If a piece of paper is found to have two sides it should create a PDF document containing two pages.

This will obviously only work when each original paper document is a single sheet of paper (this is the case for me) and I now believe that this just isn't possible. :)

• Level 5*

I think the issue here might be that you are wanting the software to determine where to break up a PDF (after each scanned sheet). I am not sure if this can be done or not.

However, the process you are describing is similar to what I went through when I began to go paperless. I had gobs of paper in various states, and decided I would just scan them into one massive PDF. This works pretty well, because you just go in later, extract pages, and split it up yourself. Usually, ScanSnap detects blank pages, and when it doesn't, you can delete them from the file as you split it apart. I find that doing OCR on the whole thing before splitting the file up makes everything go pretty smoothly. So, scan everything -> OCR -> split and retitle (you would have had to title it anyhow, so not such an onerous step) -> drag everything into Evernote -> sync.

• I want the scanner to feed in one piece of paper at a time from the ADF until the feeder is empty.
  • If a piece of paper is found to have one side it should create a PDF document containing one page.
  • If a piece of paper is found to have two sides it should create a PDF document containing two pages.

This will obviously only work when each original paper document is a single sheet of paper (this is the case for me) and I now believe that this just isn't possible. :)

I think the issue here might be that you are wanting the software to determine where to break up a PDF (after each scanned sheet). I am not sure if this can be done or not.

Ditto what GM said. There may well be software that can do that. But I'd guess at this point in time, it would be an additional charge and/or not in the realm of the home/small office user, even given that the S1500 is on the high end of that audience.

Doing one page at a time will do as you say. But it seems to defeat the point of having a document feeder.

A document feeder is very helpful when you have multiple pages for a document. Your use case may be that you have a bazillion one (physical) page documents to scan. But most people often have multiple page docs. Another advantage of an ADF is that when one doc has been scanned & the software is processing it, I will load in the next document. Once the software processes the first scan, I provide a file name & then can press the scan button.

I had gobs of paper in various states, and decided I would just scan them into one massive PDF. This works pretty well, because you just go in later, extract pages, and split it up yourself.

Yup, I think this is my best option in this situation if the scanner won't do it, I'll look into it. Thanks!

• Level 5*

Glad we could help. Good luck with it!

Make sure to look at the paperpless forums and search around in other threads for tips about the process, if you haven't done so already. There is a lot of knowledge buried in here :)

Sorry I am late to this. What I do is have two ScanSnap Manager profiles:

-One called "Stack of Single" for a stack of single-sided single pieces of paper. Each piece of paper becomes one one-page PDF

-One called "Stack of Double"for a stack of double-sided single pieces of paper. Each piece of paper becomes one two-page PDF

Works really well for me.

• 7 months later...

-One called "Stack of Single" for a stack of single-sided single pieces of paper. Each piece of paper becomes one one-page PDF

-One called "Stack of Double"for a stack of double-sided single pieces of paper. Each piece of paper becomes one two-page PDF

This looks good. Brooks, with this, do you then have to drop these into EN manually, rather than having ScanSnap do it automatically?

• 4 months later...

Hi Brooks.

How do you create Scansnap manager profiles? I have the SnapScan 1300 and i don't see this functionnality.

Many thanks!

Vincent

Hi Brooks.

How do you create Scansnap manager profiles? I have the SnapScan 1300 and i don't see this functionnality.

It depends on the version of the software that you have, but right-click on the ScanSnap Dock or System Tray icon, choose Settings or Scan Button Settings, and you'll see a checkbox that says "Use Quick Menu". Un-check that, and the ability to add and use Profiles will be enabled.

Archived