(Archived) QUESTION: Can Evernote view/search Pages files?

AlexG

Idea

I feel like this is a newb question, but I did some Google work and searched this forum with no clear result. I'm comparing a few apps like Evernote, Together, etc., and I like Evernote's layout the best. I also love the search/highlight aspect and the ability to view PDF text from within the program.

Together, however, also views Pages documents from within the program, something that Evernote cannot seem to do (it merely attaches them; I could use quick look, but that's not the same). Am I missing a setting or plug-in or something? I don't need to edit it, merely view it (and hopefully search with-in) like Together does. Or is that just not possible yet with Evernote?

Thanks!

- Alex

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I feel like this is a newb question, but I did some Google work and searched this forum with no clear result. I'm comparing a few apps like Evernote, Together, etc., and I like Evernote's layout the best. I also love the search/highlight aspect and the ability to view PDF text from within the program.

Together, however, also views Pages documents from within the program, something that Evernote cannot seem to do (it merely attaches them; I could use quick look, but that's not the same). Am I missing a setting or plug-in or something? I don't need to edit it, merely view it (and hopefully search with-in) like Together does. Or is that just not possible yet with Evernote?

Thanks!

- Alex

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

Evernote treats all files as attachments, only indexes .txt and .pdf for searches, and only views PDFs inline (other types can be seen with the quick view feature). If you want to view these files (without clicking on quick view) then you have to open them up in the appropriate application. Any changes you make will be saved back into the file attached to the note. I don't know of any plans to alter this behavior, but Evernote does not release its roadmap, so you never know.

One solution is to simply paste the text into the note with the file. This makes it searchable and readable. Another one is to attach both a PDF version and the original file to a note.

GrumpyMonkey is correct, though Evernote will also search recognized text in images.

And what he mentioned about PDFs is what I do: I have lots of Word documents I want searchable in Evernote, so I print them to PDFs and send those to Evernote.

Archived