(Archived) HELP - Can't add anything to a note after clipping whole web page.

grinch843

Ok, I don't know if I am missing something or what, but I'am having a heck of a time adding anything to a note that I clip from a web page.

I can use google as an example, I can go to google and hit the icon to clip the page, select full page, the clipped page will open in evernote, but I can't add anything before the clip or after the clip. Any text I try to add will either not show up at all or gets jumbled within the clip itself. So, is there a shortcut key or something that will add some blank lines to the top and bottom of the clip? If there is not, I would suggest that in a future update that whenever something is clipped from a web page that a few extra blank lines get put in the note before and after the clip is inserted.

btw, I'am running Firefox 13.01 and the latest version of the web clipper.

Any help would be greated appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott......

Hi Scott,

I see the same thing, it seems quite difficult to add to a clipped page after the fact.

One option that you have is to change the setting to send the clips to the web client.

This allows for comments, tags, titles to be added as you clip.

See:

https://www.evernote.com/pub/spgscott/evernote-help#b=ca136823-f4bd-45ef-9b71-4e942a351b16&n=9f57db0c-3911-4fbe-a4c8-28f755d49c2a

That said, I would welcome the ability to add to the clip after clipping.

Another option would be to write the comments in another note, and merge the two notes, allowing for the comment and web clipping.

Scott :P

Another option would be to write the comments in another note, and merge the two notes, allowing for the comment and web clipping.

Thanks for the info, I tried to merge 2 notes and the result was pretty much the same, all the info from the "new note" was all jumbled into the clipped note.

I'am hoping a Dev notices this and can look into it.

Thanks,

Scott....

Known problem with some notes.

The next version of the Windows client will include clean on save for the note.

Thanks for the heads up, That'll be the first thing I try when the new version comes out.

Thanks,

Scott....

IDK about the Firefox clipper, but in the Chrome clipper, there's a place to add comments. I always put something there (normally "Keywords: ") b/c I can then easily add text before the note. If I forget & really need to add something before the note, I export the note to an enex file. Use Notepad (or something else) to open the enex file. Add the text after the en-note tag & then import the enex file.

IDK about the Firefox clipper, but in the Chrome clipper, there's a place to add comments. I always put something there (normally "Keywords: ") b/c I can then easily add text before the note. If I forget & really need to add something before the note, I export the note to an enex file. Use Notepad (or something else) to open the enex file. Add the text after the en-note tag & then import the enex file.

Yeah, the FF version allows you to add comments also. I've played with having the web clipper send the clip to the evernote website instead of the desktop client and it's helped on some sites. I'am looking forward to the next release to see if it fixes the problem altogether.

Thanks,

Scott....

Yeah, the FF version allows you to add comments also. I've played with having the web clipper send the clip to the evernote website instead of the desktop client and it's helped on some sites. I'am looking forward to the next release to see if it fixes the problem altogether.

I'm not sure it's considered a "problem" that needs fixing. So unless it's been stated by an EN employee that this is going to be in the next release, you should not count on it being changed soon. (EN rarely publishes road maps or ETAs, before you ask.) I do know the Chrome clipper has worked this way for quite a while. So you adapt. ;-)

I'm not sure it's considered a "problem" that needs fixing. So unless it's been stated by an EN employee that this is going to be in the next release, you should not count on it being changed soon. (EN rarely publishes road maps or ETAs, before you ask.) I do know the Chrome clipper has worked this way for quite a while. So you adapt. ;-)

According to Post #9 in the thread that Owyn linked to a few post's back, it's a known problem and should be fixed after revision 259009. As of right now, I can kinda accomplish what I want by sending the note directly to the website instead of the windows client, but it doesn work all the time. To me it seems that after you clip a website to a note you should just be able to go in and add more stuff to it. Either way, evernote is still a great program and getting better all the time....

Thanks,

Scott.....

According to Post #9 in the thread that Owyn linked to a few post's back, it's a known problem and should be fixed after revision 259009. As of right now, I can kinda accomplish what I want by sending the note directly to the website instead of the windows client, but it doesn work all the time. To me it seems that after you clip a website to a note you should just be able to go in and add more stuff to it. Either way, evernote is still a great program and getting better all the time....

IDK why Owyn linked to that thread b/c from what I can tell, that thread is about notes being write protected & not able to be edited at all. Per your OP:

Any text I try to add will either not show up at all or gets jumbled within the clip itself.

I've not encountered the read only issue, but the text getting "jumbled within the clip itself" issue has definitely been going on with the Chrome clipper for quite a while.

This is a sample of what it sounds like you are talking about & not the same as a read only note. I clipped this page with the Chrome clipper & tried adding text ahead of the clip & in lower case. But it's all upper case & appears within the clip b/c it's in the html.

post-48228-0-71594900-1340915138_thumb.j

This is a sample of what it sounds like you are talking about & not the same as a read only note. I clipped this page with the Chrome clipper & tried adding text ahead of the clip & in lower case. But it's all upper case & appears within the clip b/c it's in the html.

post-48228-0-71594900-1340915138_thumb.j

Sorry everyone, I totaly misread that thread, case of selective reading I guess :-).

Anyway, looks like someone from evernote saw this and is checking things out.

Thanks,

Scott.....

• 2 weeks later...

I want to be able to add tags to clippings like I can with all other notes. I will try to make sure I do that when I clip it until the feature is included in a future version, but the tags are very integral to the usefulness of evernote, so I hope we'll soon be able to edit and add tags to any note. I'm using Mac OS X Lion and the web browser version.

Thanks for a great app!!

• 3 months later...

This issue is true also in Mac. The one it works, is by remembering to ADD COMMENTS at clipping time. The clipper will add that text on top of the clipped object, (say the full web page), nicely enclosed in ruler lines, in normal text format, that you can keep editing afterwards.

What is missing in the client is an option to INSERT TEXT COMMENTS in a note, the same way the clipper does it.

• 1 month later...

Known problem with some notes.

The next version of the Windows client will include clean on save for the note.

This does not seem to have been fixed in the new version on the Mac. i still can't add text to a note if I clip the whole page. And there is no option (and there should be!) to "clip to note" that you are already working on. Any workarounds? i like to use some web clips as references and add talking point to the content of which I'm specifically interested.

• 5 months later...

Humm... seems like this is still not fixed in FF or EN Windows desk client.  Frustrating beucase easily adding notes to clipped web pages would really help our sales teams work flow, improving the usefulness of EN.

A good and quick workaround for this issue is to add a text in the clipper "Add a Comment" line. Evernote will add the comment at the top of the note and even add a line divider between the comment and the actual web paged clipped. I normally add a text "Space for comments..." and a couple of extra blank lines.

A good and quick workaround for this issue is to add a text in the clipper "Add a Comment" line. Evernote will add the comment at the top of the note and even add a line divider between the comment and the actual web paged clipped. I normally add a text "Space for comments..." and a couple of extra blank lines.

That's what I do.

• 3 months later...

I do the same workaround, including placeholder comments for all of my web clips. I think inline text annotation would be an amazing addition, especially after what I saw on Box's new promotional video for Box Notes. Their presentation of it looks great. We'll have to see how well it works in practice.

See: 

Regardless, I usually have a specific context for why I'm clipping something and it feels weird to simply clip without acknowledging that context.

That's what I do.

Thanks BurgersNFries for the good idea about adding a comment to a Note after it's been Web Clipped. I make a habit of writing "comment" in the Add Comment text field when I use Web Clipper, but occasionally forget and was frustrated with not being able to add a comment at the top of a Note.

If anyone is interested, here are instructions to add comments to your Note so it's formatted just like if you added the comment using Web Clipper:

Export, Add Comment, Import Note

(These instructions are for Evernote 5 on Windows Desktop)

1. Right-click the note you want to export in the Note List and select "Export Note..."

2. Select "Export as a file in ENEX format (.enex)" and click the Export button.

3. Open the .enex file you just exported in preferred text editor (like Notepad or Notepad++ - don't use Word).

4. Locate the <en-note> tag near the top of the Note. There may be other code in the tag, so it could look something like this:

<en-note style="word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;">

5. Copy and paste the following code immediately after the close of the <en-note> tag:

<div>comment</div><div><br/></div><hr/>

So, this is what you'll end up with (again, there may be additional code in the <en-note> tag):

<en-note><div>comment</div><div><br/></div><hr/>

6. Save the file.

7. In the Evernote menu select: File > Import > Evernote Export Files... Locate the .enex file you edited, select it and click the Open button.

That's it, you're good to go. There will be a place for your comments and a divider between your comments and the Clipped Note.

Archived