(Archived) HELP: How to copy an entire Word document in Evernote? [ANSWERED]

woodedareas

Idea

I use a MAC. I wonder if anyone can help me post a n entire document into Evernote. I am good with clips but I have not been able to determine how to copy a complete page as I only get the screen view. I also would love to copy an entire document of many pages.

Thanks

7 replies to this idea

By document I mean a word document. For example i have prepared a report of 30 pages. I am unable to determine how to paste or include the entire document int Evernote. There are other occasions when I may have and item from the internet that contains more than1 page and I can only copy a major part of the page and not the whole page or the second page. Hope that helps.

Thanks

• Level 5*

I see. With a Word document, you have several options.

(1) Drag and drop into a note. This will add the entire document as an attachment.

(2) Drag and drop into a notebook. This will create a new note with the entire document as an attachment.

(3) Copy everything (CMD + a) and paste it into Evernote (CMD + V)

(4) Convert the Word document into a PDF and do #1 or #2. The benefit of this is that the content will be indexed by Evernote for searching. Word documents will not be indexed.

(5) Save the Word document as a text file and then drag that into a notebook. This will create a new note with the content.

There are more iterations, but I think you get the idea. As for copying a web site, that was answered in the thread I linked above. In general, if a site contains multiple pages, I just clip them as separate ones, but you could easily merge them if you wanted.

Does this help?

Is it possible for Evernote to index files other than PDF? It'd be great if it indexed other attachments like Word Docs or Concept Draw Mind Maps.

Other search engines have concepts like iFilters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IFilter) that allow additional file types to be indexed. Will Evernote support something similar?

Thanks

(1) Drag and drop into a note. This will add the entire document as an attachment.
(2) Drag and drop into a notebook. This will create a new note with the entire document as an attachment.
(4) Convert the Word document into a PDF and do #1 or #2. The benefit of this is that the content will be indexed by Evernote for searching. Word documents will not be indexed.
(5) Save the Word document as a text file and then drag that into a notebook. This will create a new note with the content.

There are more iterations, but I think you get the idea. As for copying a web site, that was answered in the thread I linked above. In general, if a site contains multiple pages, I just clip them as separate ones, but you could easily merge them if you wanted.

Does this help?

• Level 5*

Is it possible for Evernote to index files other than PDF? It'd be great if it indexed other attachments like Word Docs or Concept Draw Mind Maps.

Other search engines have concepts like iFilters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IFilter) that allow additional file types to be indexed. Will Evernote support something similar?

Thanks

Does this help?

Hi. I don't know about Evernote's roadmap, so I cannot say. My guess is that they would like to have such a feature (http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/22157-cannot-search-inside-uploaded-documents/?p=112840), but it is no small feat, especially across multiple platforms. 

Archived