(Archived) LastPass 2.0 now handles encrypted documents

• Level 5

In Evernote, I have a few confidential private PDF, Excel and Word documents stored in my non-synchronized local notebook.

My credit card user ID and personal account info

My Google 2-Step verification procedure

My family's scanned social security cards

Export of Old Roboform passwords (no longer used)

etc.

This means I cannot access it from any of my other Evernote enabled devices.

Just released from LastPass

http://blog.lastpass.com/

You can now add documents, PDF files, and images as attachments to your secure notes. If there are files that you want to keep that shouldn't be stored unencrypted on your machine, or that need to be portable, then LastPass is the place to back them up.

For example: Let's say you're traveling abroad. To prepare for the trip, store a photocopy of your passport as an attachment in LastPass. If your passport is lost or stolen, you can locate a computer, login to LastPass, open the attachment, and print it. You now have a helpful resource for replacing your lost passport.

Like all stored data, attachments are locally encrypted and decrypted with a key that is never sent to LastPass, providing a secure storage option with the convenience of universal access.

Attachments are supported on all browser addons and platforms, as well as the Premium iOS and Android mobile apps, and the free LastPass Wallet app on iOS. Currently, free users have up to 50 MB of encrypted file storage, and Premium users have up to 1GB encrypted file storage.

Here are the steps I used to test it out.

Click on Add Secure Note

Click on the paperclip to find the document

Add Name: Short description

Select Group: Secure Notes

Add Notes: Long description with additional info (if needed)

keywords: encryption security

For the Mac, 1Password is a popular password manager. It also supports attachments.

But 1Password lacks multifactor authentication options that LastPass has such as the Yubikey and google authenticator. From a objective point of view, LastPass triumph over 1Password in this regard.

• Level 5*

For the Mac, 1Password is a popular password manager. It also supports attachments.

But 1Password lacks multifactor authentication options that LastPass has such as the Yubikey and google authenticator. From a objective point of view, LastPass triumph over 1Password in this regard.

I wasn't promoting 1Password over Lasspass. I was just advising 1Pass users that it also supports attachments.

But thanks for the challenge. This caused me to review 1Password security provisions.

After the review I am still very confident in 1Password.

Each person should review and make this assessment for themselves.

Here's a couple of reviews:

(just do a google of "1password vs lastpass")

LastPass vs. 1Password: Password Manager Shootout [Windows ...

www.40tech.com/.../lastpass-vs-1password-whose-syncing-method-is...

May 16, 2011 – LastPass and 1Password are two popular password managers. Which is better?

Why I Left LastPass for 1Password | Techerator

www.techerator.com/2011/03/why-i-left-lastpass-for-1password/

Mar 21, 2011 – 1Password vs. LastPass. Although it wasn't available for Windows until 2010, Mac users have been familiar with 1Password for quite a while.

Archived