(Archived) HELP: Can Evernote search dates in the format 6-18-12?

fleeper

Idea

Hello.

I use Evernote for school and I break my classes out as an individual notebook. Everyday I just amend the following day's notes so i am just use same note over and over throughout semester. I put that days date where I start the new part (6-18-12 for example) and if I hit CMD+F to search within the note and I search for "6-18-12" I don't just get that result but all the "6's" "18's" etc. The dash apparently is *****ing up my search. Is it possible to search for a date written in this format without all the extra hits?

Thanks.

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hello.

I use Evernote for school and I break my classes out as an individual notebook. Everyday I just amend the following day's notes so i am just use same note over and over throughout semester. I put that days date where I start the new part (6-18-12 for example) and if I hit CMD+F to search within the note and I search for "6-18-12" I don't just get that result but all the "6's" "18's" etc. The dash apparently is *****ing up my search. Is it possible to search for a date written in this format without all the extra hits?

Thanks.

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

No. That is not possible as far as I know. Sorry.

[EDIT: Actually, it looks like the Windows client and the iOS client can do this]

The best solution within your current system would be a YYMMDD naming system without dashes. That is what I use in my account.

http://www.princeton...ganization.html

I prefer to keep each of my class notes separate, and then I link them all together in an index note (see the fourth screenshot http://www.princeton...ganization.html). In general, lots of shorter notes are easier to organize and offer more opportunities for fine-grained searches (keywords, tags, notebooks, and all sorts of other attributes).

It also pays to become familiar with Evernote's search grammar, so that you get a sense for the possibilities and limitations in the application. This will help you structure your account and your workflow to take advantage of its features.

http://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23245321

• Level 5*

If you present the string "6-18-12" (unquoted) to Evernote, it will do a search for notes containing words beginning with '6' and no words beginning with '18' or '12' (the '-' before a literal text search causes Evernote to look for notes not starting with what follows the '-'). On the Windows client, at least, you can wrap your search string with double quotes, and it should look for notes beginning with the literal "6-18-12". You should definitely try this on the Mac before seeking other, more esoteric approaches.

• Level 5*

If you present the string "6-18-12" (unquoted) to Evernote, it will do a search for notes containing words beginning with '6' and no words beginning with '18' or '12' (the '-' before a literal text search causes Evernote to look for notes not starting with what follows the '-'). On the Windows client, at least, you can wrap your search string with double quotes, and it should look for notes beginning with the literal "6-18-12". You should definitely try this on the Mac before seeking other, more esoteric approaches.

I did not realize the quotation marks would change the results for numbers in this format.

MAC

The search is no good in the Mac (at least, it didn't work for me).

WINDOWS

I tried this on the Windows client and it did not work there either. However, my database is still in the midst of an initial sync (a very long story) and I cannot be sure of the results. If you are getting it to work, then I am inclined to think I am wrong :)

WEB

On the web, I can search through all of the notes for the numbers within double quotes, and the results are all highlighted, so the possibility for doing the search exists on at least one client.

iOS (iPhone/iPad)

If you search with double quotation marks, you will not find them, but NO quotation marks, and you can. This is exactly the search the OP tried. LOL. So, I guess the answer is not to look at the search grammar or to change the way he writes his notes (as I suggested), but to change his device to an iPad :)

• Level 5*

The "6-18-12" search, wrapped in double quotes, worked fine for me in the Windows client, as evidenced by obtaining the correct search result, and also reinforced by the search info that's available on the Windows client (Viewing 1 note from [All Notebooks] matching [All] of the following: contains the words [6-18-12]).

• Level 5*

The "6-18-12" search, wrapped in double quotes, worked fine for me in the Windows client, as evidenced by obtaining the correct search result, and also reinforced by the search info that's available on the Windows client (Viewing 1 note from [All Notebooks] matching [All] of the following: contains the words [6-18-12]).

OK. I will try it again when my database is finished syncing. Only a couple thousand more notes to go!

• Level 5*

I use Evernote for school and I break my classes out as an individual notebook. Everyday I just amend the following day's notes so i am just use same note over and over throughout semester.

I would recommend that you put each day's notes into a new EN Note, much like you would manually write each day's notes on a new page of a physical notebook.

I also suggest that you use a consistent naming convention for the *****le of your daily notes.

Here is an example: 2012.06.18 [MON] Class Notes

I like to include the day of the week like [MON] because it is easier for me to remember which day I took notes for (Mon, Tue, etc) than the exact date.

Putting each day's notes in a new EN Note has these advantages:

• It is easier to create a new Note than find the old note
  • You can create a new Note from anywhere on the Mac by using the New Note Hot Key (see EN Prefs)
  • The Date/Time is automatically recorded as the Note Creation Date (which you can change if you like)
  • You can enter the Chapter and/or Subject of each day as the EN t.i.t.le to make it easy to spot later, e.g. 2012.06.18 [MON] Class Notes -- Ch 6 Roman Empire
  • You can sort the Notes by date, t.i.t.le
  • You eliminate the risk of over-writing the existing note
  • It is easier to find the Notes for a specific day by search, sort, or just viewing the Note list than trying to scroll or search through one long note
  • You can add tags specific to each day -- like "Test Material" and/or subject related tags

Is it possible to change the date format to "2012-08-11"? EVN > Preferences > Formatting gives me a choice of either 8/11/12, Aug 11, 2012, August 11,2012 or Saturday, August 11, 2012 but does not allow a custom format. I am using OS X 10.8

Archived