(Archived) REQUEST: Delete confirmation

Rabbit704

Idea

11 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

ttp://discussion.ev...te/#entry144914

Since GM uses Mac, the option to customize the toolbar must exist in the Mac client.

I also initially thought the problem had to do with the toolbar. It is very nicely customizable.

Apparently, as Peter pointed out, the problem here has to do with the Mac keyboard. It has never been an issue for me on any keyboard, and I have used a lot: Japanese (various sizes and configurations), Windows (various - Toshiba being my least favorite), Mac, etc. Even though it hasn't been a problem for me, I can imagine the potential for an accidental delete.

I cannot remember seeing a warning like this on other apps (it might be there, but I just don't pay attention, which would undermine my next point), and it all sounds very "Clippy" to me. But, the solution proposed earlier sounds acceptable. A warning message with an option to never display it again.

• Level 5*

There should be no difference for confirmation of deleting a Note, regardless of the method the user used.

Whether by mouse or by KB, confirmation of delete has been a UI standard in both Windows and Mac for a long time.

Having said that, there are some apps, which support a "trash can", that provide a confirmation ONLY when the trash is emptied and the files are permanently removed. IMO, this should be a user selected preference/option for each app.

• Level 5*

There should be no difference for confirmation of deleting a Note, regardless of the method the user used.

Whether by mouse or by KB, confirmation of delete has been a UI standard in both Windows and Mac for a long time.

Having said that, there are some apps, which support a "trash can", that provide a confirmation ONLY when the trash is emptied and the files are permanently removed. IMO, this should be a user selected preference/option for each app.

Is there some difference we are talking about? Maybe I missed something in the thread.

As I understand it, you are saying that there are two standards in the user interfaces for confirming whether a user wants to delete something: a dialogue box asking if they really want to do it and a trash can system with a confirmation when emptying it. Evernote has the latter. The OP and Grant want the former.

I guess giving the user a choice about which standard they want would be one solution, but does anyone offer that kind of choice? I don't see it as necessary.

On a separate note (pun intended), I would like to see the trash can moved out of the notebook and put somewhere else. If memory serves, Windows has it much lower in the pane, away from the notebooks, and safe from a mistaken drag and drop. I have done that! But, it is easily undone.

• Level 5*

Here is the main problem, which just happened to me. If you accidentally pressed the DELETE key, or clicked the EN Trash Can icon, you may not have even noticed that you just deleted a note (actually, sent it to the EN Trash).

Later, maybe days or weeks later, you may decide to empty your trash can.

So, you just right-click on the Trash and select "empty". This permanently removed all Notes in the Trash. And in the process permanently deleted a Note I did NOT want to delete.

What I should have done first, is review all of the Notes on the Trash to make sure I really want to permanently delete them.

But in practice, I rarely do this.

Same thing with the Mac Trash. I just periodically empty the trash without inspection of what is in the trash.

This models real life. When was the last time you inspected your kitchen trash can before you put it outside to be picked up by the garbage truck?

So yes, I would like a confirmation every time I delete a Note by KB or mouse.

I am sure there are others who would find this a nuisance.

So that's why we need a user pref/option.

• Level 5*

Here is the main problem, which just happened to me. If you accidentally pressed the DELETE key, or clicked the EN Trash Can icon, you may not have even noticed that you just deleted a note (actually, sent it to the EN Trash).

Later, maybe days or weeks later, you may decide to empty your trash can.

So, you just right-click on the Trash and select "empty". This permanently removed all Notes in the Trash. And in the process permanently deleted a Note I did NOT want to delete.

What I should have done first, is review all of the Notes on the Trash to make sure I really want to permanently delete them.

But in practice, I rarely do this.

Same thing with the Mac Trash. I just periodically empty the trash without inspection of what is in the trash.

This models real life. When was the last time you inspected your kitchen trash can before you put it outside to be picked up by the garbage truck?

So yes, I would like a confirmation every time I delete a Note by KB or mouse.

I am sure there are others who would find this a nuisance.

So that's why we need a user pref/option.

I rarely delete anything, because we have upload limits only, and no limits on space, so there are no benefits derived from getting rid of stuff. Evernote encourages digital h-o-a-rding!

When I do empty the trash once or twice a year, I read through everything. But, your point is taken. Most people will not read. So, a dialogue box with an option to turn off the warnings sounds like a good solution.

• Level 5*

I do a lot of web clipping. Sometimes I have to try different clipping options to get the clipped Note to have a good format.

So I can end up with several Notes of the same web page, but in different formats. So obviously I need to delete all of them except the one I want to keep.

This is a critical problem for at least some users, regardless of OS. Let's do it!

There are actually two standard UI conventions missing:

1. Confirmation of deleting a file.
  2. Ability to undo any critical change; OR if undo is not available, a warning saying you cannot undo this deletion before you delete it.

Here's a typical [anti-]use case

It's happened to me many times, but mainly when I'm on my big monitors with multiple apps open.

1. Open your email client to check mail.
  2. Open Evernote on the same screen.
  3. Click the note you want to work on in a List Pane (the list of notes).
  4. Turn your attention away from Evernote.
  5. Return your attention to your email.
  6. Hit the delete key to delete the currently displayed email message.

You have just deleted a note in Evernote!

No warning. No confirmation and no way to undo or revert your changes. Your best hope is to quickly quit Evernote without syncing, go to your online Evernote client (or some other Evernote client) and email the lost note to yourself.

Archived